Gransnet forums

Health

Any dentists/hygenists/d ental nurses here?

(18 Posts)
Franbern Thu 26-Nov-20 10:01:12

Please, could someone settle an argument between me and one of my adult children regarding the correct way to clean (using good electric toothbrush) teeth.

She maintains that -
(A) mouthwashes are a waste of money.
(B) toothpaste should NOT be washed out of mouth (just spit out any excess) after cleaning.
(C) each tooth should only have brush held on it for a absolute maximum of 3 - 5 seconds.

Now, I hold my toothbrush over each tooth for 10 seconds, each back and front, wash out the toothpaste and then finish off with a good quality non-alcoholic mouthwash. Do this twice a day, after evening cleaning also use inter-dental brushes.

As I near 80 years of age I am happy that I have nearly all of my own original teeth - only ever had two taken out. I stopped going to an annual hygenist appointment after a very bad experience with one a few years back. At my last dental check up (March 2020), no problems showed up.

My daughter says I can damage my teeth by over-cleaning (ie: holding the brush for 10 seconds, sometimes longer on each tooth). Says, that a good flouride toothpaste should NOT be washed out at end of cleaning, but left to 'do its work', and that mouthwash just washes out that toothpaste and is a total waste of money.

Who is correct?

BabyLayla Thu 26-Nov-20 10:12:25

Sorry but she’s right, you can over brush and toothpaste is best “ left on” but saying that, you have managed to look after your teeth all your life so I’d just smile and carry on as you are. A worry as we get older is shrinking gums which can expose the lower level of teeth again, over brushing can damage the gums.
Mouthwash is nice to freshen up the mouth but a good toothpaste is generally considered enough.

Ashcombe Thu 26-Nov-20 10:18:28

My dentist and his hygienist recommend the use of interdental brushes after nighttime cleaning followed by the use of mouthwash. Recently, I read that some of the stronger mouthwashes (eg Corsadil) contain an ingredient which kills viruses, including (possibly) Covid-19.

kittylester Thu 26-Nov-20 10:28:46

Dh (the resident dentist retd ) agrees re over the counter mouthwashes are often too alcoholic and you should not rinse after brushing.

My electric tooth brush allows 30 sec per quadrant.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Nov-20 10:30:10

I am not a dentist but I was told by mine not to rinse toothpaste out and that if I wanted to use mouthwash I need to use it well-away from brushing - not just a few minutes and definitely not immediately after.

Like Ashcombe I was advised to use an inter-dental brush (or if I didn't like them a rubbery inter-dental) daily.

J52 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:04:08

Your daughter is right. Instead of interdental brushes, I invested in a water pic. It’s a jet of water that shoots in between each tooth to clean the space. Marvellous, no build up of plaque at all. Maybe TMI but it’s amazing what bits of food are lurking behind!

Parsley3 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:34:15

I have one of these water jet devices and it is very effective.

Franbern Thu 26-Nov-20 16:04:45

Thanks to all of those who replied. Seems she is correct, and I will need to change my dental hygiene practice. Will look into those water jet devices also.
So, we learn from our children.......

cornishpatsy Thu 26-Nov-20 16:37:20

I agree with your daughter, however being nearly 80 and having good teeth you must be doing something right.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Nov-20 16:40:01

Don't be despondent Franbern as you are presumably blessed with great teeth! They have obviously survived your routine for years and if you are doing that much brushing without gum damage that's fantastic.

Would maybe brush the recommended 2 minutes (as someone else said, 30seconds per quadrant) and do the mouthwash at a different time of day. Then next time you ho to the dentist you could get all the "new" gen directly from them - and in relation to your own teeth and gums.

lemsip Thu 26-Nov-20 17:46:27

I always buy 'alcohol free' mouthwash, most brands do it!

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 12:59:33

While we're on teeth and gums, does anyone know how best to get rid of stains on teeth? Is there a toothpaste out there that actually does what it says on the tin, and eliminates stains? My dentist has been closed except for emergencies for the whole period since March. I'd love to discover something that works...

J52 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:24:55

Make a paste of bicarbonate and a little water. Put it on your teeth while you shower, so that if you dribble it doesn’t matter!

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 14:14:28

Cheers, J52. I'll give that a go.

Grandmafrench Wed 16-Dec-20 14:31:08

Blinko

While we're on teeth and gums, does anyone know how best to get rid of stains on teeth? Is there a toothpaste out there that actually does what it says on the tin, and eliminates stains? My dentist has been closed except for emergencies for the whole period since March. I'd love to discover something that works...

Old-fashioned Eucryl Tooth powder ? Get the Freshmint one - it tastes better.

Blinko Wed 16-Dec-20 14:36:19

GrandmaFrench, thanks. That's worth a try too. smile

Jane10 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:54:27

I usually saw a dental hygienist twice a year. The dental practice changed hands and now I have to see a 'dental therapist'. What's the difference?

kittylester Wed 16-Dec-20 18:06:12

I think a therapist can do simple fillings? If so, they are hygienists who have had more trainjng and I think that the hygienist training has been changed. But that could be something else. Been doing a Sainsbury's online shop so my brain is addled!