Gransnet forums

Health

Vit D for the vulnerable and elderly

(51 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 28-Nov-20 07:56:54

Just read about this on the website for BBC. Both DH and i take a tablet each day. He is shielding due to COPD and i have been known to be short of Vit D in the past after a blood test was done. Why they have to be free, adding to the costs already involved with Covid i have no idea. They are so cheap to purchase from most supermarkets and many other shops. I can understand them being delivered to Care Homes as obviously the people there are unable to get out but i am sure most of us can afford to purchase a pack each month.

Nana3 Sat 28-Nov-20 23:34:59

Thank you Grannynannywanny I shall go to H&B next week.

Grannynannywanny Sat 28-Nov-20 23:14:09

I just recently started taking it. I bought 200 vitamin D3 in H&B for £3.69. Very cheap for 8 months supply. It was on their buy one bottle get a second for 1p deal.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 22:45:05

My dentist just recommended Vitamin B supplements, paddyanne, the kind which includes the whole range of Vit B, especially if anyone is prone to mouth ulcers, which people who are on certain medications could be.

paddyanne Sat 28-Nov-20 22:40:10

According to my lovely Greek gynaecologist its not possible to get enough Vit d from the sun in the UK ,anywhere in the UK as the sun isn't strong enough and everyone should be taking a supplemnt year round .He also says most women past menopause need Vit B supplements

growstuff Sat 28-Nov-20 20:54:47

quizqueen

In my supermarket - buy 2 bottles of 90, get one free so 9 months supply if one tablet a day is taken. I think I probably get too much vit D in the summer as I'm out gardening every day for at least 4/5 hours!

Do you garden in the nude?

quizqueen Sat 28-Nov-20 20:11:11

In my supermarket - buy 2 bottles of 90, get one free so 9 months supply if one tablet a day is taken. I think I probably get too much vit D in the summer as I'm out gardening every day for at least 4/5 hours!

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:05:46

You may need more than just Vit D, NfkD as you may need a balanced amount of vitamins and minerals.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:03:51

NfkDumpling

Sounds as if I should go out and buy some vitamin D! Not bothered in the past, but I have noticed that this year my hair and skin are very dry and my nails brittle. Is this a sign of deficiency?

You could try cod liver oil, it contains vitamin d but in lower amounts, NfkDumpling.

There is a supplement specifically for hair, skin and nails but I'm not sure what it contains.

I've just ordered some vitamins etc from Holland and Barrett - they are offering a discount at the moment.

Other firms are available.

Marydoll Sat 28-Nov-20 19:30:46

You should take 10 micrograms (400 IU) of vitamin D a day between October and early March to keep your bones and muscles healthy according to the NHS website.
However, it should be noted that you can overdose on VitD and become quite ill, so it is vital to check the dose you are taking, unless prescribed by a doctor.

Vitamin D levels greater than 100 ng/ml (250 nmol/l) are considered potentially harmful. Toxicity symptoms have
been reported at extremely high blood levels resulting from megadoses.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 19:24:54

Flipping heck nfk!
They've been banging on about vitamin D since February!
As regards a deficiency - yes.

NfkDumpling Sat 28-Nov-20 19:22:17

Sounds as if I should go out and buy some vitamin D! Not bothered in the past, but I have noticed that this year my hair and skin are very dry and my nails brittle. Is this a sign of deficiency?

phoenix Sat 28-Nov-20 18:22:22

Yes I have COPD, and have been taking Vit D capsules for a few months.

At my own expense.

Oldbat1 Sat 28-Nov-20 18:01:12

We’ve been taking it for eighteen months. Originally prescribed as a blood test said I was extremely low. I’m glad to say my painful arthritic hips and a long term non healing open sore on a finger have improved.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 16:24:14

Thankfully prescriptions are free to all in Scotland and no one has to make the decision to have their meds or pay their bills.Isn'tt the sign of a caring society?
Same here, paddyanne.
Free prescriptions and no car parking charges at hospitals.

I await the Senedd's views on Vitamin D for care home residents and the vulnerable.

Alegrias2 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:10:00

paddyanne

Means testing only means people especially the elderly wont apply.There are billions in unclaimed benefits because people believe they'll be labelled scroungers etc...and it appears from some answers on here they would be.Its much easier to offer it to anyone in the at risk groups who need it and if they can afford to buy it they can refuse a free supply .
I personally know folk who if they had to pay for the multiple prescriptions they need every month just to survive would have to choose between which bill to pay or what meals to miss to buy the prescriptions.You only have to be a fraction above the "poverty line" to lose the right to some benefits,

Thankfully prescriptions are free to all in Scotland and no one has to make the decision to have their meds or pay their bills.Isn't that the sign of a caring society?

Well said paddyanne, great post.

The answer to your question, of course, is yes smile

MayBee70 Sat 28-Nov-20 15:59:03

I agree welbeck. I live in a fairly affluent village but I know for a fact there are many people here that have to watch every penny.

welbeck Sat 28-Nov-20 15:45:28

i think it is hard for people who don't have to worry about how they are going to pay regular bills, and fear extra ones, to imagine how hard life is for some.
having to choose between heat or eat. every extra expenditure is another frown, worry, difficult decision.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Nov-20 15:21:12

But nothing’s actually free, is it, be it medicines, school meals, whatever.
It’s being paid for by the taxpayer, not ‘the government’.

growstuff Sat 28-Nov-20 15:15:24

Presumably people in care homes don't have many opportunities to go outside even in normal times, so I was quite surprised they weren't prescribed Vit D anyway. It's one of the few supplements the NHS actually recommends (as well as Vit B12 for veggies).

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 14:37:40

Even David Davies is mentioning it in parliament
As he's a Welsh MP, perhaps he will recommend that the Welsh Government do the same as in England and Scotland for care home residents and the clinically vulnerable who may not be able to access it as easily.

The Welsh Government said on 4th November 2020:
There have been some reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. But there is currently not enough evidence to support taking vitamin D to prevent or treat coronavirus.
Although they state that This year it's important to take 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day between October and early March, as you may have been indoors more than usual. This will help to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

Hedging their bets perhaps.

Casdon Sat 28-Nov-20 14:07:30

In the meantime, I got 105 vitamin D 12.5pg (sorry I haven’t got the funny symbol on my iPad) which is 250% of the recommended daily dose at Aldi this morning for £2.49 which would last for over 3 months, I thought that was a pretty good price.

paddyanne Sat 28-Nov-20 13:43:23

Means testing only means people especially the elderly wont apply.There are billions in unclaimed benefits because people believe they'll be labelled scroungers etc...and it appears from some answers on here they would be.Its much easier to offer it to anyone in the at risk groups who need it and if they can afford to buy it they can refuse a free supply .
I personally know folk who if they had to pay for the multiple prescriptions they need every month just to survive would have to choose between which bill to pay or what meals to miss to buy the prescriptions.You only have to be a fraction above the "poverty line" to lose the right to some benefits,

Thankfully prescriptions are free to all in Scotland and no one has to make the decision to have their meds or pay their bills.Isn't that the sign of a caring society?

MayBee70 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:07:16

It isn’t actually a vitamin, it’s a hormone. There aren’t many parts of the body that don’t suffer from lack of VitD3. Dr John Campbell has been banging on about how VitD protects against respiratory tract infections. Dr Fauci takes a huge amount of it. Dr Chris Steele on This Morning has recommended. Even David Davies is mentioning it in parliament. I’ve no idea why it’s taking so long to get the message across. In Sweden it’s added to food. I’m sure the minuscule amount it will cost the NHS to give it to vulnerable people will prove to be very cost effective long term. Pity the government didn’t send some to everybody in the country months ago instead of spending so much money on ‘Boris’s letter’.

seacliff Sat 28-Nov-20 13:02:41

I started taking it about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't sure what strength to get. I got the mint spray in mouth which is 3000IU per day.

25Avalon Sat 28-Nov-20 12:36:53

Megs36 a balanced diet will not provide you with enough Vitamin D during the winter months so dh and myself started taking them a couple of months ago. We have also been taking double strength Vitamin C since last March as recommended by a pharmaceutical friend, to boost the immune system.