Gransnet forums

Health

Chronic uti

(10 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 07-Dec-20 13:35:03

rozi69 The doctor needs to test for the right kind of antibiotic for the pathogens discovered in your urine. I was urinating blood and in a lot of pain and my GP kept prescribing random antibiotics. Eventually I saw a different GP at the practice who said I had an E.Coli infection and prescribed the correct one to clear that. Not all antibiotics work on all pathogens.

Hope you soon feel better.

MrsThreadgoode Mon 07-Dec-20 13:32:01

Getting my GP to prescribe a decent course of antibiotics was impossible, eventually I spoke to another Doctor who gave me a 7 day supply, but she said to me that they might have to do another blood test as it could be a lack of Oestrogen, at my age I might not have any left!
So far though it hasn’t come back, I feel for you, it’s sooooo miserable. Hope you get some help soon, don’t let the GP forget about you, keep nagging for a solution.

Nadateturbe Mon 07-Dec-20 12:44:21

Did the doctor not prescribe an antibiotic?

rozi69 Mon 07-Dec-20 12:08:20

I had 3 cystoscopies. There is nothing really wrong. I tried d-mannose it did nothing for me. So far 3 types of pathogens were found in the urine on different occassions.

Fulhamphil Mon 07-Dec-20 11:52:51

By "I have tried everything", presumably you've had a cystoscopy to rule out anything within the bladder? Have you tried D Mannose or followed an Interstitial Cystitis exclusion diet?

Franbern Mon 07-Dec-20 11:49:05

If these UTI's are chronic then you should be contacting your GP. Take a urine sample (Preferably one from first thing inthe morning) You will probaby need anti-biotics to clear this up, but until the lab can find out via the sample exactly what infection you have then will not know WHICH ab's for you.
Over the counter helps for UTI can be useful for very mild, very occasional such infections, but anything more needs proper GP prescription

Juliet27 Mon 07-Dec-20 11:43:11

I’ve also checked up on something I remember reading - at the start of an infection taking Alkaline Seltzer can definitely help but I’m not sure about for a long-standing infection.

Juliet27 Mon 07-Dec-20 11:39:55

Oh Rozi I feel for you. It’s miserable when you can’t find a remedy that works. I find ibuprofen at least takes the edge off the pain.

FannyCornforth Mon 07-Dec-20 11:36:49

Bumping this for you Roziflowers

rozi69 Mon 07-Dec-20 10:58:52

Has anyone got any new ideas for this illness? I have tried everything out there inclufing alternative medecine but to no avail.
I have constant pain sometimes difficulty is passing urine, my face swells at times.
Anyone have some new ideas?