Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(18 Posts)
LadyBella Tue 08-Dec-20 21:46:34

I've had mine and had a sore arm. But it did strike me that as we are not mixing with people is it really necessary this year?

Bodach Tue 08-Dec-20 21:42:02

I have never (yet - touch wood) had the slightest adverse reaction to the flu jab, nor to any other of the various vaccinations I have had over the years.

nadateturbei Tue 08-Dec-20 21:40:35

I'm very sensitive to pills medicine etc and I was fine apart from a lingering sore arm but I think fibromyalgia played a part in that. I'm very nervous about side effects but I figured on balance it was worth the risk. Most likely you'll be fine.

Nannagarra Tue 08-Dec-20 21:32:29

I had my flu jab on 26th September, having had it many, many times before and I’m certainly not tough. To me it is the Colgate ring of confidence, the Readybrek aura of warmth as it protects me so I fully understand your GP’s advice. At the same time I recognise your apprehension however the illness you had years ago may not have been related to the flu jab you had. It may merely have been a coincidence.
On the day I was asked if I was well and if I’d had the jab before. Accustomed to having it, I requested a few seconds to relax my non-dominant arm. I flopped it down at my side, waggled my fingers then said, “Ready”. The next day as usual there was a very slight tenderness in my upper arm (very slight because I’d relaxed it) but apart from that I was absolutely fine and continued to be.
My husband and DiL have also had the flu jab this year. Millions of us in the UK have had it. Come and join us to protect your health, particularly this year.

crazyH Tue 08-Dec-20 20:22:26

No problem at all. Due to my Broncs, I have to have the flu jab and touch wood, it has served me well. Never had full blown flu. A sniffle or two and my usual cough, but nothing to write home about ....
Btw, I had mine early November.

Kate1949 Tue 08-Dec-20 20:16:27

I had my first one this year at the age of 71. I had it done at the pharmacy. No side effects, no sore arm.

SueDonim Tue 08-Dec-20 20:04:27

All my family have flu jabs due to a history of asthma but afaik, no one has ever had a bad reaction to a flu jab, except for a sore arm for a day or two.

I had flu at Xmas 2017. I went to bed after Christmas lunch and didn’t get up again until the following year. I still too young for a free jab so I paid for one until I became eligible.

Curlywhirly Tue 08-Dec-20 19:22:55

Had my first ever flu jab last week; no after effects (apart from a slightly sore arm for 2 days).

Lollin Tue 08-Dec-20 16:38:32

People are individuals. We do not all look alike and we do not all have the same outcome from the flu jab. some people have no problems taking medications for treatment but this os not always the sme for everyone.

I can only say go for it this year and be prepared but hopefully you will be absolutely fine.

tanith Tue 08-Dec-20 16:34:47

Had mine a couple of months ago with no side effects not even a sore arm. Really this year of all years we should take everything that’s offered to us.

Grandmafrench Tue 08-Dec-20 16:29:11

Definitely have the injection, Nanagem. Your full immunity won't be there until 2 or 3 weeks afterwards but it's the best plan this winter. And if your Doctor advises it, do it.

Do remember to choose the non-dominant arm. So, if you're right handed, for example, have the injection in your left. This does help reduce the risk of a stiff arm problem. Don't do lots of physical work for a day or two afterwards and if you feel tired or out of sorts, make sure you simply rest until you feel better.

Lots of people have said that they felt unwell after their flu' jabs this year. I was quite concerned that I would too. No problem at all, thankfully. Having had proper flu' twice in my life, I would not wish it on anyone - and the recovery took forever. So if there's something which might save me from picking it up, I'll take that every time. Good luck!

Franbern Tue 08-Dec-20 16:12:49

Hard mine back in October, Not even a sóre arm. Slightly more tired than normal the following day - but that is all. It is NOT a live vaccine, but you do need to note that it is a fortnight before the effect kicks in, so you are still likely to fall ill with flu during that time.
I do not need people to come on here to remind us that it is not a hundred percent efficient. But, it does give a lot ofprotection, more some years than others, and would no more dream of not getting this done every year than I would in not changing over my summer clothes for my winter ones.
'Flu is a horrible, highly debilitating illness, with quite a lot of people actually dying from it every year. Can also have a 'long' effect for a good few months. Much better to avoid it.

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Dec-20 14:07:26

It's not a live vaccine, so I don't understand how that it can make you ill.
I'm sure that there will be better informed people than me to explain.
I've been having it for years, no problems.
I've had 'proper' flu three times and it knocks you for six. Bedbound for a fortnight.
I've also had swine flu. That was a doddle!
Have the vaccine.

MayBee70 Tue 08-Dec-20 14:04:45

I felt really tired the following day and, when I had my pneumonia jab a few weeks later the pharmacist said that, strangely enough she'd felt tired as well. Apart from that I was fine. You don't want to catch the flu and covid at the same time. Just mention it to the nurse when you have it perhaps. Maybe take some paracetamol afterwards for a day or so and take it easy for a few days,

twinnytwin Tue 08-Dec-20 14:04:28

I've had the flu jab for years now. I had this year's as soon as I could. I have a sore arm for a couple of days, DH never has any problems at all. Please have it, especially if your doctor has advised it. It could be that your illness after your jab two years ago was nothing to do with the jab - who knows? It's so important this year particularly. The flu is potentially fatal, with many people dying from it each year, so please have it.

Lucca Tue 08-Dec-20 14:03:56

Slightly sore arm at site of injection. Otherwise fine. Ive never had flu but I’m willing to bet any slight reaction you might have isn’t half as bad as the real thing!

MrsThreadgoode Tue 08-Dec-20 14:01:32

No problems with ours, SIL had a red and sore arm for a couple of days, but was ok after that.
It’s better than catching the flu at the moment , we all need to keep as fit as we can.
You’ll be fine, but if you aren’t, it will only be for a short time and you can easily cope with that.

Nanagem Tue 08-Dec-20 13:57:28

Has anyone had this years flu jab, did you have any reaction to it, feel unwell ?

It just I have to have mine on Monday, I hate it, had it a couple of years ago and was really ill a few days later, so didn’t have it last year, and got flu !, I was really poorly.

The doctor really feels I should have it, so I’ve agreed, but I’m worried I will be ill upto and over Christmas. It’s bad enough not seeing the family this year, but to be unwell as well will be the cherry on the cake.

I know I have to have it, I will be silly not to, I really just one someone to promise me it will be fine ?