Gransnet forums

Health

Acupuncture for pain relief?

(16 Posts)
Rosalyn69 Wed 30-Dec-20 10:11:11

I have regular acupuncture sessions when we aren’t in lock down. Very useful for all sorts of niggles and pain. He did sort out arthritis in my thumbs and also occipital neuralgia. I’m sure it depends on your therapist.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Dec-20 10:04:27

Have only just read your update post Spice. Glad you are finding some relief. Good luck. flowers

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Dec-20 10:03:14

grandMattie

I’ve had acupuncture for a frozen shoulder. It depended on the practitioner, one was useless, one was brilliant and one was helpful. So you pays your money and takes your choice...

I agree with GM.
I have had acupuncture for pain after injuries in a car crash. It worked brilliantly but I happened to have picked an excellent practitioner.

Years later I had some acupuncture on the NHS for a frozen shoulder and it did nothing at all, but I realised that she was just doing the basics and not doing anything like I had been used to.

Spice101 Wed 30-Dec-20 09:47:06

I managed to get an appointment to see someone this afternoon.
I do have far less pain since the treatment so hopefully it will continue to reduce to a comfortable level at the very least. I’ll have another treatment next week.

Thanks again for your input

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Dec-20 05:09:31

Very interesting thread, thank you Spice.
You must have been in a terrible state to be hospitalised. I hope that you get nearer a solution soon flowers

Nannytopsy Wed 30-Dec-20 04:50:34

I have recently diagnosed moderate to severe arthritis in my knee. When it first flared up I was pretty well incapacitated by it and ibuprofen/paracetamol didn’t really touch it. Acupuncture seems to have reduced the swelling and increased the movement. It’s now much better and walking for any distance is my main issue.
At £45 a week, it’s not cheap and I have stopped for the time being. I will have more if I need it.
Good luck.

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Dec-20 00:44:49

I have used it for arthritis and it's been great.
Not a cure obviously but has worked for me in terms of pain relief.

Spice101 Wed 30-Dec-20 00:18:16

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I’m aware acupuncture will not fix the condition. A knee replacement will do that but right now I’m only interested in getting the pain under control.

Of course this is the worst time of the year to find someone that is open.

BTW I’m in Australia so pretty much free of COVID restrictions.

cornergran Tue 29-Dec-20 23:08:23

I’ve had two courses of acupuncture for pain management of my osteoarthritic knee. Both administered by the same NHS physio who explained it has an uncertain outcome for knee pain but worth a go if the patient wants to try. It worked well for me, 6 sessions reduced the swelling by 50% and the pain from 9 out of 10 to a very manageable 3. In my case the effect gradually reduced over a 6 month period. In my view worth a try as long as you understand it doesn’t have a guaranteed positive outcome. Of course make sure the practitioner is well qualified and adhering to stringent infection control. My NHS physio explained the cost of professional insurance deterred him from working privately, so do also check if a private practitioner is adequately insured

Curlywhirly Tue 29-Dec-20 23:07:25

I had a course (about 4 sessions I think?) when my back went into spasm - it definitely helped. Before treatment I was stiff as a board and could hardly get in or out of the car; after the first session I was able to get in the car without too much pain and by the last session I was more or less back to normal.

J52 Tue 29-Dec-20 22:18:03

DH used it for repeated muscle strain., after 3 sessions all was well. As others have said, use a well qualified practitioner.

Missfoodlove Tue 29-Dec-20 22:07:41

I swear by it.
Make sure you have a good practitioner.
Go online and check them out.
I’ve been treated after a car accident very successfully and more recently for a kidney problem.

tanith Tue 29-Dec-20 21:17:59

Sadly it didnt do anything for my Arthritis pain.

grandMattie Tue 29-Dec-20 21:15:12

I’ve had acupuncture for a frozen shoulder. It depended on the practitioner, one was useless, one was brilliant and one was helpful. So you pays your money and takes your choice...

Lucretzia Tue 29-Dec-20 21:09:48

I have chronic pain and tried acupuncture.

I loved it. The whole experience. I actually fell asleep a couple of times which is very unlike me. Never been able to sleep easily anywhere but in bed!

However it was not a cure. Not for me anyhow.

Looking forward to being able to resume some time soon

I hope you manage to get some relief.

Spice101 Tue 29-Dec-20 21:03:26

I have severe arthritis in my knee and last week had significant pain which escalated on Christmas Day and I ended up in hospital for a few days in order to manage it. However, the management was pain killers on request which really did not, and still isn't making much difference.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of using acupuncture to help with pain and if so please share your experience.