Gransnet forums

Health

Broken Tooth

(78 Posts)
avitorl Mon 04-Jan-21 21:07:20

One of my back teeth has just cracked and about half of it has broken off.
I haven't seen my Dentist since Covid began but this is really worrying me now. Can anyone give me any idea if this tooth is likely to become painful? Also is it possible I will be able to see a Dentist any time soon?

sydneynb Sun 17-Jan-21 13:44:44

I would not recommend the comment above involving buying a tooth repair kit as there are chances of hurting your gums and teeth. If it has been a while after your tooth has been broken, I suggest you visit your dentist ASAP. I can assure you there are many open at this time. I recently had an appointment with my dentist: www.bristoldental.ca/ as I had a remaining session of a root canal.
I would recommend that you visit the dentist early as there are chances of your tooth to get infected.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 08-Jan-21 20:18:51

If any consolation broke one of mine quite badly during first lockdown. As no pain not an emergency still not hot to dentist. If it becomes painful I'll contact them but for now happy to let them deal with emergencies and keep away from anywhere I don't really need to be.

Puzzler61 Fri 08-Jan-21 20:00:39

You will be feeling reassured about that avitor1.
Good to hear all precautions were taken re:sanitising.
Best wishes. ?

avitorl Fri 08-Jan-21 16:24:35

I am home again after having a Dental Appointment about my broken tooth.I now have a temporary filling and another appointment for Jan.29th when it should be permanently fixed.
Lot's of Covid precautions in place and each Treatment room is cleaned and left vacant for 20 minutes between appointments so that this can be done effectively.

Fennel Wed 06-Jan-21 16:43:11

A front crown came off just after first lockdown. Dentist said to use a kit which worked after a few failures.
But then the next tooth had started to crumble away so I handwrote a polite pleading letter asking for an appt. I got one about 2 weeks later.
Not wanting to alarm other worrying Grans, but I think it's important to get a broken tooth seen to before pain starts and infection sets in.

Danma Wed 06-Jan-21 12:01:46

I’m just back from my dentist

She told me it’s unlawful for the government to close dentists !

Chocolatenoodle8 Wed 06-Jan-21 09:56:42

Dentists are open and we can see our Dentists. I have an appointment this week. Assumed it would be cancelled, but I was wrong!

seadragon Wed 06-Jan-21 09:09:49

I had a front tooth fall out in the summer - a legacy of a head butting child and then a grandchild topped off with a bang on the teeth by binoculars?!.... I phoned to register my need for dentistry. I was assured I would be put on the list for treatment and kept in touch by email by the local dentistry coordinator until I was offered an appointment in October. Impressions were taken for partial dentures as my other teeth are pretty shaky now. Apparently they can add extra teeth to the plates as necessary.... Now waiting for first fitting, apparently there will be 4.... My worry is that my dentist now seems to be 'private', judging by the forms I was required to fill in on line. The NHS logo has disappeared from the site and my regular (very nice) dentist was evasive about cost .... although she did mention an implant would have been £2,000.... I found it impossible to raise the subject at the time as her hands were in my mouth most of the time as well as a load of moulding plastic stuff.... I will ask about it at the next appointment, having had another look at the website. Meanwhile I am very glad I have to wear a mask outside!...

Aepgirl Tue 05-Jan-21 21:21:02

I had an e-Mail from my dentist today saying that dentists can remain open as usual, so just ring your dentist to find out.

Sleepygran Tue 05-Jan-21 21:16:56

I’ve had a sore tooth since beforeXmas.went to the dentist today having made an appointment before Xmas.
Unfortunately it’s got to come out.and I’ll need a lot of work as it’s a front tooth. But it’s going ahead.

kangaroo73 Tue 05-Jan-21 17:52:23

My back tooth broke a couple of weeks back and I’ve got an appointment for the 19th so they obviously don’t consider it an emergency. I was advised to make sure I use a luke warm salt water rinse after brushing my teeth to avoid infection. I was due my regular 6 monthly check up last March which they cancelled and I haven’t been back since

paddyanne Tue 05-Jan-21 17:39:31

Only emergency work done at my practice ,as my broken crown isn't causing pain its not a priority ,I'm happy to wait if people who are in pain can get theirs fixed quickly

Redrobin51 Tue 05-Jan-21 17:16:57

Most dentists are open by prior appointment only for patients who are in pain. I had to go a few weeks back and they had every safeguard in place. Appointments were being spaced out so cleaning could be carried out between patients and I felt totally safe. They are reluctant to take out a tooth unless absolutely necessary but I am sure they can give you advice as to whether this is required in your situation.x

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jan-21 17:10:40

I have the same shizam and will need to sort out all the admin myself, by the looks of it.

Hil1910 Tue 05-Jan-21 16:56:42

Just attended my dental practice for a routine appointment with the hygienist.

Shizam Tue 05-Jan-21 16:56:01

Dentists are open. Please don’t leave it. I had a back tooth that was wobbly but didn’t really hurt. When I finally got to dentist, she x-rayed and said it had to come straight out. Turned out to be massively infected, all way up to cheek bone. She was rather cross with me for leaving it so long!

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jan-21 16:39:40

I have no idea what my dentist is doing, and it's become clear that neither do they.
I saw a dentist after a week of strong antibiotics, and she referred me to a clinic in London for sedation!

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Jan-21 16:11:30

I had an email from my dentist last night saying that they are still open. I had a routine check up last week.
She is doing manual scrape and polish work rather than using the water pick but other than that and the elaborate cleaning/PPE etc all is normal as it has been for the last seven months.

Definitely contact your dentist. I'm sure you will be seen.

homefarm Tue 05-Jan-21 15:46:53

I now have two broken teeth - luckily not painful.
No hope of seeing anyone anytime soon.
you need to tell them that you are in pain with it otherwise dentists give you no priority.

Greciangirl Tue 05-Jan-21 15:46:37

I managed an appointment a couple of weeks ago as one tooth very sensitive to hot or cold liquids.

I was told,to apply sensitive toothpaste to affected tooth but it didn’t work. Am going to put up with it for now as very likely won’t be seen anytime soon.

When I arrived at the dentist I had to put my coat and bag into a box. Also it was the policy of one in and one out.
No waiting room as such. We had to wait outside too.

Kaggi60 Tue 05-Jan-21 14:15:02

We had to ring 111 because could not get appointment at the dentist they got us appointment. The next day because it was a emergency our dentist could not see us for 2 months.

4allweknow Tue 05-Jan-21 14:07:50

Dentists will deal with emergencies eg tooth infections, broken teeth if causing chronic pain. A lot of treatments will be by extraction with very little treatment involving aspiration. Temporary filling will be the order of the day unless severe pain being experienced. Dentists have been requested to assist with Covid vaccination so they may be in even shorter supply than in the last lockdown.

aonk Tue 05-Jan-21 14:04:09

There is no need to be nervous of going to the dentist. I think the dentist and staff are much more nervous than the patients! You can always ask for an explanation of their protocols. I’ve been 3 times since the first lockdown. I’ve had a check up and seen the hygienist. My view (shared by my dentist) is that regular check ups are vital for the health. Gum disease is bad for your heart. Also dentists look for possible signs of cancer. I believe that it’s more dangerous not to go than it is to stay away even for those who are especially vulnerable.

marmar01 Tue 05-Jan-21 13:44:52

i phoned my dentist yesterday and got a appointment for tomorrow, crown fell off over Christmas. so they are working for any one in need.

Nelli123 Tue 05-Jan-21 13:19:35

Where do you all live who were seen during the first lockdown?? I broke a molar last March just after the first lockdown started, half of the tooth just broke off. My dentist said if it's not giving me any pain there's nothing they can do. When I eventually saw my dentist to fit a crown in October he said they will remain open even if there's a new lockdown as they have all the PPE and procedures in place now. I have since needed another crown and it's been fine. The only thing is you have to wait outside until they can see you as they can't have anyone waiting indoors (and my dentist always seems to run late). I live in Central Bedfordshire.