Gransnet forums

Health

Vaccine

(14 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:54:09

Help help how can I reduce the pain of the needle going into my arm when getting the vaccine I kid you not I find needle insertions so excruciating painful.

grandMattie Wed 06-Jan-21 16:57:33

Are the local anaesthetics you can apply? At worst, spray antihistamine has some. Try to zone out. Never look at the action, breathe like you are in labour, both might help a bit.

tanith Wed 06-Jan-21 16:58:45

It’s less than a second of pain but may save your life, steel yourself.

Daisymae Wed 06-Jan-21 17:04:51

I would suggest that you try relaxation techniques. Have a look online for a 10 minute exercise that you can employ.

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Jan-21 17:44:28

Ask your pharmacist. There is a cream you can put on an hour before which numbs the area, but I can't remember the name!

rosie1959 Wed 06-Jan-21 17:52:54

There is a cream you can put on but I can’t remember the name either they used it on my daughter when she was small to insert cannulas
I had the flu jab recently the nurse had to tell me she had done needles are so ultra fine you don’t notice them

honeyrose Wed 06-Jan-21 17:55:45

Go to your happy place in your mind (eg a wonderful beach or scenic view for example) whilst having the vaccine. It does help to take your mind off things, I find. I really dislike blood tests, but will always have them if necessary. I’m ok with vaccinations and I find them more comfortable than a blood test, but I suppose we’re all different, and I can appreciate your anxiety. Please don’t let your dislike of vaccinations put you off!

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Jan-21 17:57:46

EMLA CREAM!! I knew I knew it really! My subconscious is so much cleverer than my conscious mind!

Hetty58 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:03:13

Just don't look - so you won't see the needle and tense up. Focus on something else to distract your mind. I have a relative with needle phobia and he finds it calming.

He does focused 'counting' (at the dentist too) - counts the ceiling or floor tiles, the number of anything in view, be it trees outside, people, lights etc. - then it's all over!

Elizabeth1 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:32:26

Thank you everyone at least you didn’t tell me to put my big pants on. I’ve tried the anaesthetic cream with my flu jab it made not a bit of difference I still screamed but I did get very tense it seems the pharmacist didn’t see the marker point on top of the anaesthetic and jabbed outwith it therefore missing the frozen piece of skin altogether I’m just going to take a couple of paracetamols and use more anaesthetic cream I’ll let you know how it goes. Good luck everyone.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:42:53

I did used to be very nervous and I honestly think now it’s the fear not the pain it hurts more when I stab my toe
Cured by my daughter who is type 1 diabetic and has injected four times a day since she was 8. Funny enough she is still not keen on anyone else doing it and asks them to pass her the injection Years of experience has taught her she doesn’t even feel needles unless they are blunt but she still prefers to do it herself

GagaJo Wed 06-Jan-21 19:52:16

I've always had a needle phobia which didn't improve at all when I had chemo and extensive dental treatment.

Can't wait for the vaccine though!

Emla does work. I had it once when having the canula inserted for chemo.

PamelaJ1 Wed 06-Jan-21 20:15:23

I used Emla cream when I was having my eyebrows tattooed.
AKA semi-permanent make up.
It certainly worked.

farview Wed 06-Jan-21 20:50:14

Bend your arm so that your hand is holding your opposite shoulder...the nurse who does my b12 (painful) injection advised me to do this ...its Brilliant...really lessens any pain.