Gransnet forums

Health

I think I have just broken a rib!!

(42 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 13:23:17

I was trying to pull a tool from the bottom of my Dyson and there was a ghastly scrunching sound in my chest under my left arm - ouch. I am taking painkillers; and just assuming that there is nothing to be done except wait for it to mend.

Do not buy a Dyson! There is nothing about it that is good. Mine has been sent back twice because of breakages or non-functioning of the dust container opening mechanism. The plastic parts of the machines are very flimsy indeed and often very hard to remove tools to change them.

I am hoping that I will be able to manage to get undressed for bed tonight!

ElaineI Fri 05-Feb-21 23:27:39

A patient of mine broke a rib by sneezing!

clementine Fri 05-Feb-21 16:37:15

I have the same thing, more like stained ribs, but lying down or turning in bed is excruciating . I was a youtube video where you make a nest either side of you with pillows, then when you need to turn in bed it's more just a gentle roll as the pillows support you. I tried it a couple of nights ago and it was much more comfortable . Doctor in A & E told me takes exactly six weeks to heal . Ive to go back if no better. Only reason I went was I have Osteoporosis so was concerned I had broken more than one ! Take care .

growstuff Fri 05-Feb-21 14:57:31

Luckygirl I assume you've been tested for osteoporosis. My mother kept cracking her ribs after all sorts of minor activities.

Cnash Fri 05-Feb-21 10:55:00

According to their site it is made in China but aren’t they all!

EllanVannin Sun 24-Jan-21 19:45:49

Our bones aren't as supple as they used to be unfortunately and as many have mentioned just sneezing can crack a rib and there's nothing you can do apart from rest.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Jan-21 19:32:51

Himself just got a message from his Rangers-fan friend in Malaga. He has a broken rib. He was leaning out of his apartment window earlier in the week , painting the ledge, leaned too far and OW!!

Sounds as though it’s easily done.

GagaJo Sun 24-Jan-21 14:02:46

Glad it is bearable LG. Broken ribs can be excruciating.

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 14:01:04

I'll try to remember that, LauraNorder, thanks

I don't think I've sneezed since my ribs recovered but I did have a couple of sneezes every night when they were painful although I didn't have a cold.
Sod's Law!

LauraNorder Sun 24-Jan-21 13:55:39

A little tip re sneezing, if you feel the urge to sneeze, push your tongue hard against the roof of your mouth. It will either stop the sneeze or make it much less powerful.
Hope you feel better soon

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:54:29

Ah yes - sneezing!

Callistemon Sun 24-Jan-21 13:46:11

Good; it takes time but should heal slowly on their own.

Take care - no sudden sneezes!!

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:33:01

It's not too bad thanks - not getting worse, but slowly improving. I am lucky that it has not impeded my breathing. Lungs all intact it would seem!

GagaJo Sun 24-Jan-21 11:48:43

How are you doing now, Luckygirl?

Lovetopaint037 Sun 24-Jan-21 11:23:24

Sorry about your problem. I broke a rib while oh holiday abroad some years ago. I slipped in the bath while having a shower. The pain was awful but especially when trying to get up in the morning.
Agree about Dyson and would never buy another or anything else with its name on it. I replaced it years ago with a Sebo and just recently bought a second and relegated the other one, still working well, for upstairs cleaning. I did this as beginning to get worried about Brexit and my SIL bought one on my recommendation and was raving about it and it had a light on it which lights up the dust you might not see. So I just had to have that light!!!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 14:48:25

I didn't go to the doctors, but I did google, and it was quite amazing how many women had ribs broken by being picked up off their feet by men.

Llamedos13 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:27:37

Ha ha Miss Adventure, did you have to explain what happened to a dr? I had to go to the dr. a few days after my mishap as I was having breathing difficulties, he looked positively suspicious when I explained what happened.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 05:01:09

My ex held me down and tickled me.
He was reciting "walk around the garden, like a teddy bear...
.."
When he got to the "tickly under there" part, he pulled both my arms up above my head, and we heard a really loud POP, before I fell on the floor, struggling to breathe because the pain was so intense.

I still get problems if I laugh a lot (luckily this is a rare occurrence these days) or slouch on the sofa (not so rare)

Llamedos13 Sat 16-Jan-21 03:50:13

My sister and brother in law came to visit us here in Ontario one summer. They were getting ready to leave for the airport with the usual hugs and kisses prior to leaving. My brother in law got me in a bear hug and lifted me off the ground cracking a rib in the process! I actually heard it crack, took quite a few weeks to recover! Poor guy felt terrible.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jan-21 17:21:44

That's not good Luckygirl. Like others I have had cracked ribs and the pain is excruciating. Nothing to be done but rest and gentle deep breathing. I do hope you get a better night's sleep tonight, I remember how particularly difficult it was moving in bed, getting out of bed etc. Take care flowers

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 17:17:24

Not just me then Calli.
?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-Jan-21 17:03:28

I fell off my bike and cracked a rib, yes it was painful and took about 6 weeks to heal. I went to A&E and had an x ray to see if I had done any other damage as I was finding I was short of breath. But I got the all clear. The pain does get easier but I was told not to lift or carry anything heavy until it had healed.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 16:17:43

Yes, my mind did go that way as my DN slipped and fell, broke ribs and had a punctured lung.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 16:12:58

I have health anxiety so a cracked rib would have me worrying about a punctured lung. Sorry. That’s my mind & how it goes. Not helpful to you (or me). As others have said, gentle deep breathing while it heals. And regular pain relief, keep it topped up.

Hope you are feeling better soon & thanks for the tip about the Dyson!

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 15:33:19

I did sleep propped up with an extra pillow the other way round, Luckygirl.
It's taken about 6 weeks to feel a lot better and I feel as if they are more secure now.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Jan-21 15:06:19

Thank you for advice and messages. The pain is right up at the top of my rib cage, under my arm. I am not having trouble breathing - I presume that this is because of where it is situated. In the main I am managing OK - it is not too uncomfortable during the day and |I am able to get jumpers on and off. But the nighttime is not good - difficult to turn over. I only got 4 hours sleep last night.

Unfortunately, owing to other medical problems, I cannot take codeine or anti-inflammatories. So paracetamol is my only resource. I guess I just have to bide my time.