Gransnet forums

Health

Hip arthritis

(17 Posts)
Fennel Mon 25-Jan-21 12:10:49

I think the point of the exercises is to build up the muscles supporting the damaged joint so there's not so much strain on it.
Also helps to a quicker recovery when you do have the operation.

Sparklefizz Mon 25-Jan-21 07:37:25

I have pain in my right groin and was struggling to put a sock on that foot. GP referred me to physio and I had to wait 8 weeks for that.

She tested my muscles on each side, decided the muscles were weak around the bad hip and gave me some exercises, and I added to these with some from my osteopath who was treating my arthritic neck and back pre-Covid.

The exercises to strengthen the muscles around the hip really have helped and I notice the difference if I'm too tired to do them. My groin still hurts a little when trying to put on a sock, but it's better than it was.

FannyCornforth - check out the Versus Arthritis website. Lots of useful info on there. Keeping mobile is the key with targeted exercises.

Ohmother Mon 25-Jan-21 06:34:10

FannyCornforth Make the list and get yourself on the waiting list now! If your in that much pain age has nothing to do with whether you have the replacement or not. You need to live your life now!

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Jan-21 05:58:34

Ohmother

Yes! Mine used to freeze like a dead leg during the day. They said I was too young in my 50s to have mine done but I took a long list of what difficulty I was having. Husband with dyspraxia cutting my toenails ?. What I’d bought to try to resolve it. Jacuzzi bath, fitflops, leg pillow etc. She relented and it’s one of the best life changers in my whole life!

Hello all
I'm in a similar situation to Ohmother
I'm in a right old mess, with hip, knee and back. I'm still in my 40s (only just, mind you!)
And obviously now is not the best time to be in said mess.
Literally the only time I'm not in pain is when I'm lying down.
I can't sit or walk.

Marydoll 42 weeks!?! shock

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 00:06:29

My RA consultant referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon last year. There is at least a forty two week waiting list for an initial appointment, before I can even go on the list for a hip replacement. I wish I hadn't declined a referral two years ago, thinking physio would help.

I would speak to your GP sooner than later.

Spidergran3 Sun 24-Jan-21 23:25:06

This wont go away and will gradually deteriorate but exercises may help you in the short term. About four years ago I got as far as the pre-op assessment for a hip replacement where I was given exercises to do. These were so good that I ended up cancelling the operation. Now I’m in so much pain at night and can’t walk far and need to start the process all over again. I still do the exercises as it’s worse if I don’t! Until you need surgery maybe physio would help?

Fennel Sun 24-Jan-21 16:52:48

I had the same symptoms before my right hip replacement.
Your GP should send you for an x-ray to se how badly the hip is worn away.
Hopefully - there's so much pressure on the NHS these days because of covid.

GrannyLaine Sun 24-Jan-21 14:58:05

deefletch I too have OA of my right hip and knee. I'm not at the stage where I want to consider surgery but have recently been referred for physio as the muscles around my femur have become very weak, which makes the night time pain really bad. Its really important to preserve the strength son chat with your GP would probably be helpful. I first realised something was wrong when I realised that I can't cross my right leg over my left.

deefletch Sun 24-Jan-21 14:47:42

I don't think Im at that stage yet...its only happened a couple of times. I really wanted to know if others had the exact same problem.

deefletch Sun 24-Jan-21 14:40:57

Many thanks. I dont have this problem regularly though, its only the third time its happened.

Ohmother Sun 24-Jan-21 13:56:44

Yes! Mine used to freeze like a dead leg during the day. They said I was too young in my 50s to have mine done but I took a long list of what difficulty I was having. Husband with dyspraxia cutting my toenails ?. What I’d bought to try to resolve it. Jacuzzi bath, fitflops, leg pillow etc. She relented and it’s one of the best life changers in my whole life!

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:41:31

I agree with every word tanith says. You need to see your GP and be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. Do you have one in mind?

Redhead56 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:29:43

I had my left hip problem when I was 53 I was having a lot of pain and it kept locking. I was sent for an X-ray and seven weeks later had THR on NHS in a private hospital on the Wirral.
I am having problems with my right hip now but I am hopefully learning to cope with it. If you are sitting make sure the seat has a hard cushion so it’s not too low. Sitting low down will make the joint stiffen if you can swing yourself around on the seat it will make it easier to get up.

beverly10 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:26:48

deefletch
Speaking as one who suffered as you, go see your doctor asthis is affecting your sleep and that is the time for replacement.My replacements were carried out at sepearte times but they can be done together. This also needs advice from your doctor.

Spice101 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:23:50

Agree with tanith. The first symptom of my impending hip replacement was groin pain followed soon by having difficulty and then not being able to put a sock on. Mine also often gave way.

tanith Sun 24-Jan-21 12:19:21

Sounds a lot like the pain I had before my hip replacements, disturbed sleep was the pointer to my GP that referral for hip replacement was what was needed. I’ve had both done at different times and the relief of the grinding pain is instantaneous. Talking to your GP is best.

deefletch Sun 24-Jan-21 12:00:08

Hello! I have arthritis in my hip which gives me groin pain but I can walk fine otherwise. Recently I have noticed a few times that I wake up in the night with pain in my outer thigh and groin, and when I try to move it hurts like hell! I have to move it in increments until I can stretch my leg out, which seems to help. I am wondering if this is common and what can I do to avoid it, if anything? Thanks in advance.