Gransnet forums

Health

Covid

(54 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 28-Jan-21 13:09:39

Have you had your COVID injection yet? Mine is on 4th Feb. and the next one in April. Be glad to get it over with! Phew. Maybe things are looking up at last. I’m 76 years old.

Kamiso Fri 29-Jan-21 00:35:27

Not heard anything yet. OH is 71 and I’m 69. DDs in laws are older than us and both had theirs before Christmas.

A woman on the local Facebook page was 67 and has had hers. She might have underlying condition I tell myself!

Our surname begins with V so probably towards the bottom of the list.

We only got the message for covid test late at night with the appointment for the next morning so I do check before settling down at night. We are in the West Midlands.

SueDonim Fri 29-Jan-21 00:38:33

Nope, Paddyanne. She’s been in her house over 30 years. Same medical practice, too. She hasn’t even been away overnight for years as she doesn’t feel safe anywhere else, because her arthritis means she’s worried about falling in strange surroundings.

Nandalot Fri 29-Jan-21 00:48:32

Had ours today. 71 and DH 73.

heath480 Fri 29-Jan-21 01:50:30

I am 72,in Staffordshire.Not heard anything,but I went on the NHS Covid site and booked both doses tonight.

Somebody put it on Mumsnet earlier,was amazed when I looked and was able to book it.It will only let you book if you are eligible.

I do have to travel 10 miles,but happy to do that.

Hetty58 Fri 29-Jan-21 02:39:03

I'm 'only' 67 and in good health, so I suppose it will be the end of March or beginning of April?

Grandma2213 Fri 29-Jan-21 02:52:26

I had a text on Monday and had the vaccination Wednesday. Travelled 7 miles. I am 73, no major health issues and live in Lancashire.

Witzend Fri 29-Jan-21 07:46:38

I’m having my first dose in roughly 2 hours - maybe I’d better go and get showered and dressed!

Daisymae Fri 29-Jan-21 08:22:56

I stand corrected DH is now booked for Thursday.

Casdon Fri 29-Jan-21 08:34:51

I think you should be vaccinated well before the end of March Hetty58, although it does depend on where you are.

The first plea for 65-69 to go on the secondary waiting list for the mass vaccination centre went out yesterday where I am. They are anxious not to waste any slots with the anticipated bad weather this weekend, and rightly think older people will be more reluctant to travel than those in their sixties.

If they achieve the over 70s target by mid February your age group will be straight after that, but it will take longer to get everybody done because they will be starting the second vaccinations too.

harrigran Fri 29-Jan-21 08:41:44

I am 74 and had mine two weeks ago.
Boris actually mentioned our area as we were vaccinating a lot faster than anywhere else. They then closed some of our centres and redirected the vaccine to other areas.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 08:54:53

75 and had mine yesterday Feeling really crappy today but I m pleased because apparently it’s the people with fairly good immune system that feel the most aches and pains afterwards

I had my phone call Wednesday to go to my surgery Thursday then Thursday morning I got a letter from the NHS to ring to make an appointment so two cracks of the whip I was told to ignore the letter
I ve had the Oxford vaccine

Franbern Fri 29-Jan-21 09:15:50

I think here in Somerset we are well ahead. Most people I know 70 yrs or older have now been offered this. My SiL (under that age, but EVH) is due to have his on Monday morning. We are hoping that his wife (who his official carer) will come into the next group and be called up within the next three or four weeks. One of my daughters, also EVH, but NHS front line worker hadher jab some weeks back, and another SiL in his 50's but working within hospitals had his last week.

Just think we all need to be a little cautious about what having this vaccine means. Until we receive the second dose, we are not covered against this virus very well - so still need to 'Hands, Face and Space'. And, people must note that both doses only really start to take effect three weeeks after it is given.

Even my NHS daughter, desperately needed, is not being permitted by them to change her working from home until at least sometime after she receives the second jab,.

Esspee Fri 29-Jan-21 09:31:29

I was pleasantly surprised that the appointments for my OH and me were for the same place and time, unlike our latest flu jab. Curiously though we have to travel to Paisley when the Glasgow vaccination centre is half the distance away. No problem for us but it is an evening appointment and some of our generation are wary of driving at night especially in winter.
I have decided to have the vaccine purely because it is looking increasingly likely that flying and travelling abroad will require it and I am desperate to see my family.

Kate1949 Fri 29-Jan-21 09:55:24

Are we supposed to be just going onto the site and booking it? We have been told to wait for the letter.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 09:55:31

I wonder how the travelling will work espee as I wasn’t given anything to prove I d had it unless that happens after the second dose

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 09:56:54

DH was given a signed vaccination card after the first dose, Bluebelle

Galaxy Fri 29-Jan-21 09:58:40

Yes everyone I know has been given a vaccination card.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 10:50:39

Not given anything only an information sheet

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 11:20:19

I ve just rang the surgery about not getting a card and they had run out of cards yesterday but they assured me they are only a reminder and can’t be used for anything official as they don’t put the persons full details on the card, only first name so could belong to anyone and that I will be rung when my next one is due in 12 weeks
Anyway I ve marked in my diary so I know what date to expect and I know which jab I had too

Franbern Fri 29-Jan-21 11:39:38

Had the Astra Zeneca vaccine and was given a card (and told to keep carefully), which gives my full name, the date on which I received the first dose, AND the batch number. Place on there to put date, batch no. of second dose also.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jan-21 12:05:07

Yes my daughter NHS worker has a card but just her first name, no surname, or address so really it could be anyone’s with that Christian name Plus the date vaccine name and batch number well I know everything except the batch number which they assured me is in my records
So I m not going to lose any sleep over it it’s all down in my diary

cupaffull Fri 29-Jan-21 12:06:09

This is sooo useful thank you for posting. A little more info on what to expect is useful.
In Warwickshire OH @ 72 has just this minute been text to book his appt.
He has underlying health conditions so v grateful to be getting a move on tho nothing much will change in our behaviour for the next three months at least. Keep pushing on all x

Grandma2213 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:33:21

My card has type of vaccine, batch number and date given with space for second vaccine. No name or appointment date but was told 4 to 12 weeks. All details recorded on the computer.

Esspee Fri 29-Jan-21 15:04:21

BlueBelle I expect it will be a very long time before any of us (I exclude the rich and famous who seem to be in a different category to the hoi polloi) are able to travel so I expect some type of record will have to be issued. ?Perhaps a stamp on our passport?

larry5 Sat 30-Jan-21 20:29:44

Dh 74 got his letter yesterday and is booked in on Monday. I am 69 but diabetic and saw the information on Mumsnet and logged into the NHS website and I was accepted so having mine on Wednesday. I could have had any day this week and any time of day. I live in Somerset and have to travel to a large centre which opened last week. I wonder if people don’t want to travel for their vaccine.