Gransnet forums


Cataract Surgery post op experience

(12 Posts)
Abuelamia Thu 28-Jan-21 17:59:41

I know this post may be premature but would welcome other’s experience. This morning I had a cataract operation, surgeon said it went well and I felt it was painless and quick. I went home 30 minutes later. But, having taken off my shield to . administer drops, my vision is extremely cloudy in the operated eye. Sight in said eye wasn’t too bad pre op. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to clear? If it is no better by Monday I will probably contact the hospital.

GrannySomerset Thu 28-Jan-21 18:05:12

Much too soon to know. Give it a couple of days to settle before getting further advice, because my experience was that even 24 hours made a difference.

janeainsworth Thu 28-Jan-21 18:13:08

OP were you given any post-operative instructions? They may have included a phone number to ring if you had any worries or problems.

Abuelamia Thu 28-Jan-21 18:16:03

Yes, I have a leaflet with instructions and telephone number. Just don’t want to appear a whittle by ringing too soon, if this is quite normal situation.

lemsip Thu 28-Jan-21 18:46:50

well, give it a chance, far too soon. you say you went home 30 mins later then removed cover to administer drops. how long had you been home! really can't expect to see clearly out of the eye when it has just been operated on>

Lisagran Thu 28-Jan-21 18:55:16

I had a cataract op 3 years ago. This was part of the leaflet I was given afterwards. I do recall it was blurry for a while.

Abuelamia Thu 28-Jan-21 18:57:40

Yes you are right, too soon to worry. I have been home 8 hours and was instructed to administer the drops after being home for an hour and then again 5 hours later .

Abuelamia Thu 28-Jan-21 19:00:23

Thank you Lisagran, that is helpful.

Franbern Sat 30-Jan-21 14:37:20

Oh dear Abuelamia, you did exactly as I did and went into total melt down, at that stage . I phoned my daughter telling her I was unable to read anything and should never have had that op (first eye). Fortunately, she was calm, told me what I fool I was being to expect everything to be okay within a few hours of the op. Within 48 hours was fine - and when I had the second eye done a few months later, I was not so silly and willing to wait.

Abuelamia Sun 31-Jan-21 10:18:22

Thank you Franbern for being so understanding and so pleased it all worked out for you both times. Unfortunately it is now 72 hours after my op and I still have virtually no vision in the eye. I am hoping to see my surgeon tomorrow and he can see if everything is as it should be. Fingers crossed.

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 12:06:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Blossoming Tue 16-Feb-21 12:18:19