Gransnet forums

Health

Young people and no masks

(25 Posts)
Cass64 Fri 19-Feb-21 10:25:05

Idiots are idiots regardless of age. In my local supermarket teenage shelf fillers who think a face mask as an earring or chin strap.

Then there are my neighbours both in their 70s, she has had bowel cancer he is a diabetic with an open wound on his foot which is dressed every day by district nurses and guess what ? They have no idea of social distancing or face masks and still go out every Saturday afternoon at peak time to get their shopping..

to quote Forest Gump stupid is as stupid does.

Witzend Tue 16-Feb-21 13:53:17

I know the feeling. I still visit my local ‘corner’ shop and until quite recently hardly anyone except me and the bloke behind the till wore a mask.

On one occasion two very healthy looking girls in probably late teens walked in, both maskless . Since I happened to be looking in their direction as they entered they both gave me what I can only describe as a very defiant/aggressive ‘’So what?’ look.

I wouldn’t have said anything anyway - I knew I’d only have got a mouthful of ‘F*ck off, you old cow.’ And TBH I think they’d probably have enjoyed it.

MayBee70 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:11:07

There should be posters on buses telling people to wear masks. I feel anger on your behalf ayse just from reading what you’ve written. If you’re like me you feel really upset for ages afterwards when something like that happens. As if you haven’t hot enough to deal with with your husband being ill as well. x

GagaJo Tue 16-Feb-21 13:03:48

Baggs, I am with you. Fresh air is a tonic. I get sinus headaches a lot. All windows thrown open and lots of water to drink helps keep them away.

Blossoming Tue 16-Feb-21 12:17:23

Reported

shysal Tue 16-Feb-21 12:05:30

Reported.

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 12:00:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

welbeck Sat 30-Jan-21 19:58:47

i think going upstairs is more risky on buses, likely to be less air circulating.
try to sit opposite doors or as near as poss, and open all windows.
also challenging people is risky, they may turn violent, also the risk of catching covid by interacting with them.
best to avoid. just move away. good luck.
see thread on common covid mistakes.

BlueSky Sat 30-Jan-21 19:51:21

Mask wearing is only the tip of the iceberg. God knows what goes on in people’s houses.

Missingmoominmama Sat 30-Jan-21 18:13:03

There were three older men in Booths the other day, all with masks below their noses. I followed one in- he didn’t sanitise his hands, and every time I passed him he was fiddling with the outside of his mask- the part that his uncovered nose was breathing down on confused.

Galaxy Sat 30-Jan-21 18:08:03

I think it is a very big ask to expect bus drivers to police this. They have been at the frontline during the pandemic, I think asking them to perform a security role is just too much.

BlueSky Sat 30-Jan-21 18:03:01

Alegrias
“Its easy to blame the young but there are people of all ages not abiding by the rules for all sorts of reasons.”
Agree Alegrias!

geekesse Sat 30-Jan-21 17:04:23

In my experience of regular bus travel to and from hospital for a few weeks, it’s the middle-aged and older men who wear masks under their noses most often. Teens tend to either have them on properly or under their chins.

Alegrias1 Sat 30-Jan-21 16:18:47

In Tesco's yesterday there was an older chap with no mask at all. He was wearing a badge on a lanyard so I assumed that was his exemption.

But at the self checkout directly opposite me was another older fellow with his mask over his mouth but not his nose. He was on his own and probably struggling a bit, so I felt bad for him. There was also an older woman wondering around with just a faceshield on, which of course is no good at all.

Its easy to blame the young but there are people of all ages not abiding by the rules for all sorts of reasons.

Redhead56 Sat 30-Jan-21 16:04:22

The bus driver has mirrors he can see what goes on all over the bus. He could easily stop the bus and shout for people to keep masks on properly. It’s in his interest as well as the rest of the passengers.

ayse Sat 30-Jan-21 15:32:51

No access to a car right now and taxis are too expensive for me. Last time I was too afraid of a negative reaction but this time was different. Personal experience certainly puts everything into focus.

There’s nothing to say that in the future the virus won’t mutate and affect younger people. I’d not wish the virus on anyone.

TerriBull Sat 30-Jan-21 15:01:21

I do my supermarket shopping early morning, usually before 9 am, it's noticeable how many of us there at that time, are older people. I like Sainsburys because the aisles are wide and mostly people do their best to keep their distance and skirt round each other.

Last week, a young man masked, but wearing it below his nose, stood right across a counter I was waiting to access engrossed in texting hmm I waited hoping he'd move, in the end I had to ask him to do so, he was pretty oblivious as people generally are when engaged with their phone often lacking spatial awareness. As he moved off, I did say "your mask isn't on properly" no response though!

timetogo2016 Sat 30-Jan-21 14:42:11

Spot on EllanVannin.
Some of the youths of today have the idea that it won`t happen to them.
Actually it isn`t just the youths,i see lots of people going maskless.
The mind boggles.

Baggs Sat 30-Jan-21 14:37:48

Stuffiness is the pits.

Baggs Sat 30-Jan-21 14:37:32

...especially when there's a nasty air-borne pathogen doing the rounds.

But the same applies to mild coronaviruses like common colds.

Baggs Sat 30-Jan-21 14:36:15

Just so, ellanvannin. I've been a fresh air freak all my life, much to my class-mates' and work-mates' annoyance quite often. It's quite something to have people in powerful positions finally catching up with the idea that good ventilation is a good idea generally.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Jan-21 14:30:13

They should bring the old door-less buses out of the mothballs and open all the windows on them. Everything and everywhere you go is airless and closed in, a breeding ground for viruses. Theatres/ Cinemas/ Supermarkets/ Stores/ Restaurants and vehicles.

vickymeldrew Sat 30-Jan-21 14:27:20

Ayse - I absolutely understand your frustration. This is another reason why I get cross seeing professional footballers on television hugging, kissing and piling on top of each other when they score a goal. It just send out the wrong message to impressionable youngsters!

EllanVannin Sat 30-Jan-21 14:19:41

Which is why I'd never travel on a bus.

ayse Sat 30-Jan-21 14:11:52

I know we have discussed this before but I’d like to come back to it.

I went out early this morning to go to town on the bus. Everyone was masked up. I did the shopping I had to do and was on my way home at 9.45. I decided to go upstairs on the bus as the lower deck was busier than I would have liked. I sat at the very front and on the other two front seats there were two young teens with their masks round their necks. My DH has just been in hospital with COVID and is coming out tomorrow plus an oxygen tank on a temporary basis.

Anyway, I told these girls in no uncertain terms they should put their masks on otherwise they could kill me. I went on to say my DH had almost died in hospital because of the virus. I was so cross! I wasn’t self-isolating as he caught it whilst in the Midlands looking after his poorly brother. They went to sit further down the bus, sniggering! I looked back at them and there they were, maskless again! Fortunately there was another older person on the bus who also had words and on the masks went again.

I was so glad when they got off. I’m not usually critical of youngsters as I know they are finding this very difficult but this behaviour is just unacceptable. Why are they so insolent and irresponsible? It’s just another case of “I’m alright Jack”!????