Gransnet forums

Health

Stage 3 kidney disease

(15 Posts)
Erica23 Sat 06-Feb-21 08:48:52

Hi. My mum late eighties has been feeling poorly for quite a while and has kept asking me what could be wrong, I had no idea until a recent stay in hospital, we’re upon her discharge they had sent a copy of her care plan detailing all her illnesses, amongst lots of other things there is stage 3 kidney disease.
I had no idea about this. I’ve since read up on the NHS website about it and she has every symptom except one. Quite shocked and don’t know what to think.
Has anyone had any experience of this disease, there doesn’t seem to be a specific treatment. But maybe there is something that could ease the symptoms. I’m going to ring the Dr next week as this just seems to be being ignored. Thank you.

Iam64 Sat 06-Feb-21 08:53:52

I was diagnosed with stage 3 in my mid 40’s. I’m in my early 70’s and have 8 weekly blood screens because of meds I take for inflammatory arthritis. The screens track kidney function, which dips occasionally, but is very similar to 30 years ago. It doesn’t need treatment, is common as we age. Drinking enough water is important.

Erica23 Sat 06-Feb-21 09:02:41

Thank you iam64 . Do you have symptoms? Mum is suffering from nausea, itching and breathlessness which I’m wondering could be from fluid in her lungs.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 09:20:37

Yes, I was diagnosed in 2006 with CKD and the consultant told me I could live for years with 3rd stage. I suspect you get odd episodes of it now and again such as nausea, I have mints at the ready and it soon subsides.

Annual blood tests are something I've had since being diagnosed to keep an eye on the creatinine levels, which increase with age anyway, but last year mine had reduced which is good.

I don't have any itching or breathlessness nor swelling of feet and ankles---only in hot weather. No weight loss or lack of appetite, which all happen in CKD. It's not a death sentence though, but a good diet and plenty of liquids are important the older you get.
Keep the body hydrated

MaggieTulliver Sat 06-Feb-21 09:32:13

Yes my mum aged 89 has CKD stage 3 and is just a bit careful with what she eats. She has regular blood tests and her GP isn’t worried. As a GP medical secretary I know we have a large number of elderly patients who’ve had CKD for years.

Redhead56 Sat 06-Feb-21 10:54:07

I had annual blood tests 18 months ago and went for the results. I was told that because I have stage 2 kidney disease I will have to stop taking my medication for arthritis. I was told the medication had probably irritated the condition. I was totally shocked I have never been told about this before.

I complained at the surgery because this diagnosis was apparently made a few years earlier. I had an appointment with the Doctor who was very rude to me for complaining. I explained if I had been given this information earlier I could have altered my diet and drank a lot more fluids. It was quite upsetting so I refused to see that particular Doctor again. (There was no apology or explanation given why I was unaware of the kidney disease).

Now I am stuck with no sufficient pain relief for osteoarthritis in various joints. Over the last ten years I have tried all the options available for various reasons they were not suitable.

Since I have had this information I am sent for tests more often but it all seems a bit too late. I have been at that surgery for over thirty years and never had a complaint now I feel letdown.

BigBertha1 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:42:31

I have CKD3 too. My GP said ignore it carry on as usual. I drink gallons anyway (probably the wrong stuff). I'll put the kettle on now.

Sar53 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:55:21

I too have Stage 3 CKD and have blood tests every 6 months. It was only picked up after having blood tests for something else. I don't have any symptoms and was told that it could stay like this for ever.

Erica23 Sat 06-Feb-21 12:07:34

Hi. What an awful experience with your GP Redhead, there’s certainly no excuse for rudeness. Were
always being told to look after our health, and then when you have a late diagnosis how can you.
This makes me wonder how long mum has had this condition, it’s never been mentioned before, but like I said she’s been asking over a year what’s wrong with her and has become increasingly unwell, she has lost over a stone in weight and is barely eating, she is too tired to make herself anything and doesn’t like asking her carers.
I will be speaking to her GP this week to at least clarify that she has this condition, and ask if there’s anything he can prescribe to make her feel better.

avitorl Sat 06-Feb-21 13:11:25

Stage3KD seems to a normal sign of aging and I don't think generally causes noticeable symptoms. I was shocked when I saw I have it when it was picked up in a routine Blood Test about 20years ago. Fortunately it has stayed at Stage 3 and not advanced since then.

Iam64 Sat 06-Feb-21 20:57:06

Erika23, I’m over 70, I have Atrial fibrillation and the breathlessness I have on hills is attributed to that. I have dry skin which doesn’t itch if I keep it moisturised. Given the number of older women here, who have had CKD for years, with no symptoms or deterioration, I’d try not to over worry about your mum. I think you said she has other health problems, as do most people in their mid 80s. I hope the GP van reassure you.

Redhead, have you been referred to a rheumatologist? GP’s are, in my experience, often poorly trained and unaware of the excellent treatments available

Blossoming Sat 06-Feb-21 21:35:16

I’ve had CKD for years, currently at stage 3. I don’t have any particular symptoms, but as I’m a brain injury survivor and a cancer patient it’s difficult to say. My GFR, which is a measure of how well your kidneys are functioning, stays steady as long as eat healthily, keep hydrated and get some exercise. I’m not aware of any specific treatments, I’m on loads of meds for other conditions and I have 6 monthly blood tests, which include kidneys. It may seem a scary diagnosis but you can live many years with no major symptoms.

Erica23 Sun 07-Feb-21 06:21:10

Thank you everyone very useful. I’m more concerned about her breathing at the moment she’s using one blue inhaler a week at the moment. It could be because she had covid in November or her a fib as you mentioned . Her medication review has been cancelled because of the vaccination program.
I’ll ring the Dr and update.

Erica23 Mon 08-Feb-21 11:54:26

Hi, just an update spoke to the Dr this morning, he said mum was dipping in and out of stage 3 so doesn’t think there’s much to worry about. He said he doesn’t think the problems she has are related to her kidneys, but doesn’t know why she has the sickness and itching ? He has prescribed a steroid inhaler for her breathlessness.
He is going to retest her bloods regularly too. She must try and drink more, which she flatly refuses, because of frequent toilet trips and night time incontinence.
It’s a struggle. She has so many problems bless her. Thank you everyone.

Iam64 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:47:10

Thanks for the update. Good news about your mum