Gransnet forums

Health

Eye posterior vitreous detachment

(10 Posts)
ChristineV0607 Wed 10-Feb-21 09:22:50

Hi
I have a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) in my right eye which started last April (in the middle of covid) with a Weiss ring which is a small round flashing light in my central vision. I was eventually seen by opticians in June and pics of both my eyes were taken etc. Retina's all OK but I still get lots of arc flashes in that eye, especially when moving my eye, just in my peripheral vision but apparently that's normal, if disconcerting!
I've been waiting for the other eye to show symptoms as apparently that's what happens within a year! I've now noticed on occasion that first thing in the morning when waking, I can see a flickering effect in my left eye just at the bottom of my peripheral vision when I look down.
If I look up and down quickly then I think I can see a slight peripheral flickering in both eyes top and bottom.
Wondered if anyone else has experienced this symptom as part of their PVD?

I do suffer with chronic anxiety and that's why I'm not sure it's PVD symptoms or just me feeling anxious.
Any replies appreciated ?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Feb-21 16:59:42

I have PVD in both eyes, no Weiss rings but I believe it’s quite common and nothing to worry about, but if you are concerned maybe go back to your Optician?

kissngate Wed 10-Feb-21 18:21:45

I have PVD both eyes. No Weiss ring but black spot both eyes. PVD in right eye occurred some years ago. Hospital told me my brain would eventually ignore the spot and they were right. Left eye happened in lockdown last year, so spot still obvious. Also get flashing lights on edges of vision particularly when going from well lit room into a dark one. Occasionally I get an Aura which optician said is normal but it's strange. When it happens I put sunglasses on and sit quietly for a while until it vanishes. Hope that helps.

MiniMoon Wed 10-Feb-21 19:27:32

I too have PVD in both eyes. I don't have any flashing lights now, but I have been left with large opaque floaters in both eyes. I don't notice them very much now.
What concerns me now, is that I have cataracts growing in both eyes.

NotAGran55 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:44:05

I’ve had a small intermittent flashing light in the bottom of my left eye for at least ten years .
A few months ago an arcing light started in the right hand side of my right eye and continued for 3 days . The next day a huge black spider ? (Boris) suddenly appeared in my right eye as I was walking into the football stadium to watch a match. It was right in my line of vision and very distinct.
After the match I rang my optician from the car park and she referred me straight to the A &E dept at the hospital. The following morning I was given the first appointment in the eye clinic and had a full examination with dye etc and was told it was nothing to worry about . Boris has now shrunk to a black spot which I can ignore. No more lights in the right eye .

ChristineV0607 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:06:55

Hi thanks Notagran55 seems this PVD thing causes different things for us all. I had no idea about it until it happened to me and whilst I know it's the sgr thing it's very scary ?

ChristineV0607 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:09:05

Thanks minimoon
Yes I believe that'll probably be the next thing to happen for me. PVD is bad enough but seems there's always something else.....?

ChristineV0607 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:12:34

Thanks kissngate
Your comments are reassuring and sound similar to mine. We all seem to have anomalies that don't fit the PVD standard symptoms which is confusing. I find the whole thing very scary I had no idea about PVD and don't know anyone in my social circle who has it. Not sure why as it's supposed to be so common ?

ChristineV0607 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:15:37

Hi 59Oopsadaisy1
Thanks for replying.
Yes I will but because of Covid and thinking it may be anxiety I'm trying to not catastrophies. However, if anything changes I'll go to the optician. ??

Juliet27 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:17:55

My PVD caused a hole in the retina which laser treatment couldn’t mend so I had a scleral buckle attached to close it and prevent the retina detaching.