Gransnet forums

Health

Any one else had Colectomy operation?

(5 Posts)
harrigran Tue 16-Feb-21 10:13:32

Yes I had one in January 2016 and I have a permanent stoma. I did have hernias at the operation site and had them repaired two years after initial operation.
It is best to be careful and not do any heavy lifting, the stomach muscles can be weakened.

Pollyanna2 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:57:05

Yes lemsip - that's what I've had - but immediate reconnection so no stoma needed. I was also going from strength to strength Luckygirl - but last night - vertigo++. Think may be possible side effect of covid vaccine at weekend.....Crikey - don't know which what's up at the moment - and have my mam's funeral on Thursday....Sorry to be moany but thanks for putting up with me ranting a bit. Just wanted to get it out...thanks

lemsip Tue 16-Feb-21 09:30:53

I have a friend who had an emergency colectomy op in which a section of her bowel was cut out and stitched. she has a stoma bag to collect waste six months on but, is having things reconnected in the next few weeks. she has coped well with this.

Luckygirl Tue 16-Feb-21 09:18:51

I have a friend who had this many years ago - she has been fit and well ever since. The first few days after the surgery were uncomfortable, but after that she never looked back.

Pollyanna2 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:12:43

Any one else had a colectomy (bowel) operation? How is your recovery going?