Gransnet forums

Health

Lockdown dental checkup

(5 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:17:01

Thanks very much, Suziwoozie, that's a really interesting document. I'm more than happy to see a dental hygienist - and assume that the charges will be the usual NHS check-up fees? Because of lockdown, it's been such a long time since I had a check up - I do worry about the state of the nation's teeth once all this if over. I know that dentists have had a very difficult time - financially as well as professionally.

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 09:54:53

Crossed posts

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 09:54:37

If you go to page 7 of this document from the General Dental Council you’ll see what dhs are registered to do. Don’t worry - she’s sufficiently qualified and will be well aware of anything that means she should refer you on to a dentist

www.gdc-uk.org/docs/default-source/scope-of-practice/scope-of-practice.pdf

Parsley3 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:54:28

The hygienist will probably refer you on to a dentist if they see something that needs attention. This happened with my OH.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:47:18

Have just managed to get an appointment for a check up at my NHS dental surgery. The dentist who I used to see before lockdown is still on maternity leave, and, looking at their website, I notice that my checkup is going to be with the dental hygienist rather than the dentist. Of course I'm pleased with anything they can offer, but just wondered if anyone knew whether dental hygienists were sufficiently qualified to do full NHS dental checkups?