Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss after covid

(9 Posts)
Babs758 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:56:10

Thanks for the advice... much appreciated!

Nannarose Sun 28-Feb-21 14:25:49

Hair loss is a common feature after any severe illness - imagine the body diverting resources to the absolutely necessary.
It makes sense to have a good diet generally and some standard multi-vitamins. In principle your hair will return as you get better.
Having said that, a few people find it never quite gets back to what it was, I hope yours does.

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 12:15:09

Hello Babs as I mentioned earlier, if you are deficient in vitamin D you definitely need the loading dose first in order to it to get into your system, and you need to have a prescription for it.
I remember comparing mine with the vitamin D that DH has to take and it was about 500 times stronger - something ridiculous like that.
It's definitely worth asking your GP for a blood test and getting the high dose.
Over the years I have tried ever pill, potion and treatment going. I have spent literally thousands of pounds. Nothing worked. Summer 2019 I was on the verge of having extensions. I was losing so much hair, it was all over the floor and every surface. The vacuum was full of it.
It's sooo much better now smile

Babs758 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:21:15

May I ask what the dosage of vitamin D is that you take for this. ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 28-Feb-21 11:00:02

Thank you FannyC and Granny. I will look into getting some high dose vit D.
Off to get our first covid jab today so hopefully one step to seeing the back of this plague.

grannyrebel7 Sat 27-Feb-21 15:48:27

I agree withFanny vitamin D definitely helps. I've been taking it for about 5 months now and my hair has grown really long and the condition is much better.

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 13:20:46

I don't think that 'normal' vitamins will cut it, btw, I definitely needed the loading dose - which was several hundreds of times more potent.

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 13:18:34

I suffered from hairloss for years.
January 2020 I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D. I was prescribed a high loading dose and now take normal vitamin D tablets. My hair is thicker than its been in over 15 years and longer than its ever been.
Ask your GP to do your bloods.
Best wishes to you and your husband.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 27-Feb-21 13:02:38

Apologies for the long post.

Are there any hairdressers on here? Looking for some advice if possible?

My husband and I both had covid in late November (he was hospitalised for 3 weeks), now all of a sudden, we are both noticing we are suffering a lot of hair loss. I have googled this s, and apparently this can happen about 3 months after major illness or trauma, and can also be exacerbated by stress/quarantine /isolation, etc.

I also realise that hair often starts thinning anyway as we (ahem) 'mature', but I'm noticing at least 2-3 times more than usual when I wash my hair this past couple of weeks.

My husband is now joking about saving money on shampoo but needing to spend more on Mr Sheen and polishing cloths!

I've not used a hairdresser for over 40 years so don't have anyone to ask.

I ve got long, fairly fine hair and use various volumising shampoos anyway to give it a bit of oomph and take a multi vitamin pill a day to cover anything I might be short of vitamin-wise and try to have a reasonably healthy diet (with the occasional lapse....).

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can nurture our bonnets both internally and externally? Im not expecting a miracle instant grow-back and hopefully it will restore itself in time but any advice on nurturing and preserving what I've got left would be most welcome.

Hubby has I think resigned himself to the 'bald men are sexy' outlook (and I don't disagree with that) as his had got very thin anyway, but us ladies are I think more in favour of keeping our hair if we can.

I hasten to add please that I mean no disrespect to anyone on here who has suffered hair loss through illness, chemo, etc, just looking for any advice.

Thank you.