Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles

(21 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Mar-21 19:21:34

Unfortunately the pain from shingles lasts for many weeks so try to get decent pain relief now. Rest if at all possible. I am sorry I do not have a magic cure for you.

I have a friend who is also suffering and it is the pain that is getting her down.

ayse Tue 23-Mar-21 19:17:15

I do hope you feel better soon. It’s such a miserable condition.??

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 19:10:52

My friend is into week 3 with shingles. Last week she felypt really low and cried with the pain and the fatigue. Hope you get better soon OP.

Oldbat1 Tue 23-Mar-21 19:04:58

I had shingles a few years ago. Started across tops my eye and down side of face. Went to minor injuries after ringing them for advice as it was the weekend doctor said I’d done right thing. I started antiviral meds. I was extremely lucky as it is dangerous near eyes. Can remember taking ibuprofen and paracetamol together. Hope you recover very soon.

clementine Tue 23-Mar-21 17:39:08

I hope you’re feeling bit better. PLEASE do not take ibuprofen three hourly. It’s 4-6 hrly and can really cause stomach issues if taken too frequently.

My husband was really unwell with shingles. He eventually was prescribed gabapentin for the nerve pain and lidocaine patches.

There’s an excellent UK Shingles support group who are very helpful.

Yoginimeisje Wed 10-Mar-21 12:36:25

Thank you Puzzler very kind x
Thank you Baubles x

baubles Wed 10-Mar-21 08:59:45

DH developed shingles just before Christmas. He started on Aciclovir as soon as we realised and the pharmacist in Boots also recommended their own brand of calamine and glycerine ointment which definitely helped to calm things, he went through several tubes. He also took ibuprofen.

I hope you feel better soon, it sounds utterly miserable.

Puzzler61 Wed 10-Mar-21 08:57:32

I think you have a couple more weeks to endure unfortunately Yogin, it seems it’s slow to appear and slow to disappear.
I’ve had shingles twice, first time I was 40 and it wasn’t so painful. Second time age 58 was much worse. The rash was all around my torso and I couldn’t bear underwear touching it. Nights are worse as you know, you get comfortable and warm and then the alternate itching and stabbing starts.
Sorry you are suffering this - keep having the baths, 2 a day if you have the hot water to do so. Get well soon. ?

Yoginimeisje Wed 10-Mar-21 08:46:18

Thank you everyone.

Still very painful today, one week & one day on. When Ibuprofen kicks in it feels a lot better. Really bad nights sleep due to pain. Think I'll take Ibuprofen every 3 hrs instead of 4.

ayse Mon 08-Mar-21 15:34:27

I was very lucky when I was diagnosed with shingles and given Aciclovir and Amytryptalene (can’t spell). I was back at work after a week but at night the pain was unbearable.

You have my sympathy and I hope it calms down soon. The second drug I mentioned is often used for depression but can also be useful for the nerve pain associated with this condition.

Get well soon ?

Daisend1 Mon 08-Mar-21 15:25:15

I had shingles way before the shingles jab came in to being. It was hell and at times with pain that had me in tears

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 15:02:24

Around here - maybe all of the U.K. - you have to be 70 to get the shingles jab, though I dare say you can get it privately if you’re willing to pay.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Mar-21 13:12:14

Maybe you’re not old enough yogin I think I was offered the shingles jab at 70 along with the pneumonia one I had them the same day one in each arm
My friend did have a bad bout of shingles a few years after she had the jab but she’s the only person I ve known had it after the vaccine

Yoginimeisje Mon 08-Mar-21 12:31:34

Very soothing bath, feel nice and clean too. Thought I might hit the roof when the water hit my skin, but it was lovely smile

Yoginimeisje Mon 08-Mar-21 11:40:39

My DD suggested an Oatmeal bath, I always shower, but bath here I came then! shock

Yoginimeisje Mon 08-Mar-21 11:11:25

Thank you everyone for your sympathetic post. I too initially thought it was my kidneys. No I didn't know there was a vaccine for shingles. Now I've had it twice, first time when I was 17yrs, the pain was a lot less then, even though I was off work for 2 weeks. I was told you can only have it twice!

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 10:14:28

Sending much sympathy! ?
I had it a few years ago, I still put it down to being very tired and run down on top, right after a (rare) stinking cold.

It started just before Easter, throbbing aches in the kidney area so I assumed kidney disease until I managed to see the GP on the Tuesday, by which time the rash had come out.

The antivirals did seem to stop it getting any worse though. I spent much of the next 3 weeks on the sofa, with strong painkillers at intervals.
I still think I was lucky that it wasn’t worse. I do hope yours won’t be too bad or prolonged.

Ashcombe Mon 08-Mar-21 10:14:18

You poor lady! Give the Aciclovir time to work. Meanwhile, please do ensure you rest as much as possible because Shingles does leave you very drained.

I’ve had it twice at age 19 and 62. Just after my 70th birthday, I was offered the vaccination, which I happily accepted as it was considered advisable despite having had the illness twice.

I hope you soon feel well again.

midgey Mon 08-Mar-21 10:14:00

There is a report that covid can start as some kind of rash.
Do hope you feel better soon.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Mar-21 10:02:57

Oh, poor you. Need I ask whether you had the shingles vaccination ? Besides what you're already doing, there's not much else you can do.

Yoginimeisje Mon 08-Mar-21 09:56:55

I have shingles now!! Sooo painful! Started Tuesday with stomach pain, worse Weds, Thursday red & sensitive side with few spots, realised it was shingles, so bad by Friday phoned doctor for some Aciclovir. Not sure if I started taking too late, as really flared up, just as bad today. Bathing side & back with 1/2 cereal bowl water with 6 drops of Eucalyptus oil, it does sooth. But I don't seem to be getting any better!