Gransnet forums

Health

Prostate cancer in elderly

(5 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:31:20

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of prostate cancer in the elderly? My father is nearly 97 and was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 2 years ago. It has spread to his bones, and there is no treatment available to him now: some of the treatments he has been offered have had unacceptable side effects. He is living independently in his own home (mum died 18 months ago) and has now been passed from the hospital to the hospice for advice etc. I am meeting up with someone from the hospice at dad's house later this week. I just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation? My dad is determined that he wants to stay in his own home and not go into a care home. Mentally, he is very alert still but is now far less mobile, although he does manage stairs, his own cooking etc. Will it be possible for him to stay in his own home, perhaps with some additional help if he can be persuaded to take it?

chelseababy Mon 08-Mar-21 14:36:45

No experience in anyone of that age. You could try the very helpful FB group UK Women Affected by Prostate Cancer and see if anyone there can help.

Kate1949 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:52:08

Not at that age. My husband has prostate cancer but was diagnosed st 68, he's now 75. Prostate Cancer UK were very helpful.

Peasblossom Mon 08-Mar-21 15:21:01

My OHs elderly neighbour had prostate cancer and stayed in his home, with a mix of Carers and neighbourly support, until his last few days when he was in hospital.

I’m sure it will be possible for your father to stay at home bless he becomes really ill with something that needs immediate medical care.

Peasblossom Mon 08-Mar-21 15:21:32

unless.

I’m sorry for the error