Gransnet forums

Health

Top tips for getting a good night's sleep ?

(40 Posts)
ZadieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Mar-21 09:32:27

Sleep is something that’s essential to everyone - but so many find it difficult to get a good night’s kip. So what are your top tips for getting yourself to sleep? Have you found the holy grail of nighttime routines that sends you straight off - or do you have any tried-and-tested tactics for those of us who find ourselves waking up at 3am?

Whatever your tips for getting a restful night, please leave them on this thread. And if you have any product recommendations that help you, please do leave a link. grin

By posting on this thread you could win one of the fabulous spot prizes we have on offer this week - please see our Sleep Week page here for details of the prizes and for the T&Cs. Don’t forget - we’ll be picking 5 winners at random from threads across the week, so the more threads you post on, the more chance you have of winning!

Don’t forget to stay in touch. Sign up to our newsletter here.

montydoo Sun 21-Mar-21 10:34:43

I practice yoga and pilates and meditation - and subscribe to a YouTube channel to help. I also since lockdown join an on-line meditation class - It's really helped with my battle with insomnia - it clears my mind, I avoid caffeine after 1pm and sleep with an eye mask with some lavendar spray on my pillow - after 20 years of insomnia it just been a revelation.

Kittyme1 Sat 20-Mar-21 22:11:46

I usually start with a good bedtime routine and a spritz of lavender room spray.

pinktulips Sat 20-Mar-21 13:19:20

My tips are - practice mindfulness, tell yourself - now is time for sleeping, your thoughts can begin tomorrow morning when it is time for thinking.
I avoid caffeine, alcohol and drink plenty of water during the day, I read a chapter of my book before bed - and that helps the thoughts of the day disperse.
Wear an eyemask and use a pillow spray to ease you into a deeper sleep.

Angelwings Sat 20-Mar-21 10:58:27

I like the room slightly cool, very dark and as quiet as possible and this really helps.

Carado Sat 20-Mar-21 10:49:50

I don't often have trouble sleeping, I usually go to bed between 11 pm and midnight, which still gives 8 hours before getting up. My last coffee would be after dinner (before 8 pm), then nothing more to eat or drink except a hot chocolate at bedtime. If I missed that out, I probably wouldn't need the trip to the bathroom in the early hours, but I would wake up very thirsty! On the rare occasion that I can't get back to sleep, I read until the book slides onto the floor.

Sarandy Sat 20-Mar-21 10:14:07

Don’t drink caffeine after about 8pm, go to bed the same time every night and I uses lavender pillow spray which helps!

Kate1949 Sat 20-Mar-21 10:06:57

Not eating too late, especially cheese. I sometimes spray the pillow with a lavender spray which helps a bit.

lillyofthevalley Sat 20-Mar-21 09:51:22

No caffeine after 1pm, a walk in the evening, or sitting in the garden listening to birdsong does help, I am going to read all of your tips as my sleep better.

Holidayenthusiast Sat 20-Mar-21 08:52:17

Ever since I was a child I found I needed to read before going to sleep. Reading in bed winds me down into sleep and I often find my book or iPad on top of the covers when I wake the next morning.

Maggiemaybe Sat 20-Mar-21 08:24:13

I go to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Often sleep right through, but have some very restless nights as well. I think I’ve tried everything to get back off - some tips work for a while, then lose their magic. One that was effective for a long time was to go through the alphabet naming, say, girls’ names or towns beginning with each letter. Nothing too arduous though or you’ll keep yourself awake at daft o’clock trying to think of a bridge beginning with J. grin

suzybean Sat 20-Mar-21 07:54:23

If you have noisy neighbours, or live with a snorer then use noise cancelling earphones. Keep your room dark by using a blackout blind. I make sure my room is clean and tidy, to create a calm and peaceful atmosphere, good quality bedding and pillows ensure top comfort and no television or IT to disturb the peace and quiet! Finish things off with a lavender sleep spray

Yolostela Sat 20-Mar-21 06:58:42

Invest in a good bed and as big as you can afford or that the room will take. We have a super king it gives us our own space to sleep.

GreyKnitter Fri 19-Mar-21 23:34:07

Doing to sleep should read going to sleep. Must be ready for bed now!!!

GreyKnitter Fri 19-Mar-21 23:33:23

I always have a read for a bit when I go to bed. I usually try to think of 10 good things from the day when I first lie down and settle - very simple things like a message from one of my grandchildren, a message chat with a friend, something I’ve enjoyed to eat etc and then choose a doing too sleep thinking topic - usually something relevant to the day - sweets as a child, walks I’ve been on, mothering Sunday’s etc. Maybe a bit sad, but seems to work.

boxfords Fri 19-Mar-21 23:28:00

I try not to go to bed until I'm tired. Too early and I just lay there for hours!

Fairlyodd77 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:57:12

Don't play with your phone before bed. Deffo makes getting to sleep harder

mrsmcsporran Fri 19-Mar-21 22:48:01

I love a horlicks before bed! Very old-fashioned, but something about it is just so comforting!

Lollin Fri 19-Mar-21 22:24:04

If the body is struggling trying to remember not to allow yourself to fight it. If the body is receptive wind down away from food, drink and screens at least an hour before bed.

rozina Fri 19-Mar-21 22:18:48

I must admit I use white noise, which I only use when my neighbours wake me up. I find my mind settles on the white noise and blocks out any other noises. I was on sleeping tablets from the age of 28 to about the age of 70 (I know, I just couldn't get off of them)! However, after an accident I found myself having to stay in hospital without any warning, any clothes, possessions or tablets and couldn't attend my Doctors the next day for another prescription of sleeping tablets, and from then on I have never taken another sleeping tablet and never will as they are SO addictive.

CatterySlave1 Fri 19-Mar-21 21:56:22

I agree that not getting too wound up about not sleeping can be key as there’s nothing worse than watching the clock and getting more and more grumpy about not sleeping. I’d recommend no technology in the bedroom and reading at a set time. In fact a routine is good at making us feel ready for bed. So metaphorically winding down the body and mind a few hours before bedtime, soothing caffeine free drinks all evening and maybe something milky an hour or less before bed. Then a warm shower and a cool bedroom (around 18 degrees). Some people like a window open all year but it’s a bit too much over winter personally. Then a little read and lights off. Same time for bed and getting up every day regardless of how tired you are. Apparently a walk at lunchtime is supposed to help set our circadian rhythms to help with sleeping so always worth a try. And if nothing works then grab your book (not a gripping thriller mind) or colouring set and while away the time until you feel you can try again. But don’t forget, no lie ins.

Doodledog Fri 19-Mar-21 21:22:35

As a long-time insomniac I have found that the best way to deal with it is not to expect to get to sleep early, but to make just being in bed as inviting as I can.

A hot bath with bath oil, a warm bed (electric blanket in winter) in a cool room so it feels comforting, and pillow spray make going to bed feel lovely, and I play soft music for a while (I have sleep headphones) or listen to Rain Rain, which is a free app that lets you mix various rain and storm recordings. I listen to that through a speaker, and it makes me feel warm and cozy listening to what seems like rain outside while I am warm and dry in bed.

I do find that the routine of all this helps me to nod off faster than I used to, but as I say, forgetting to care really helps - part of the problem was the feeling that I 'should' be asleep.

Suki70 Fri 19-Mar-21 21:22:30

Only go to bed when you’re sleepy. Have a regular wind down routine before going to bed - dim the lights, no screens for an hour before bedtime, have a warm, decaffeinated drink , maybe a bath.

silversand12 Fri 19-Mar-21 19:50:25

Keep a notepad or a piece of paper and a pen/pencil next to your bed - if you suddenly think of something write it down. Then you won't lie awake worrying about whether you'll remember or not, and you can train yourself to remove it from your thoughts by "moving" it to the paper.

Whatarethechances Fri 19-Mar-21 19:37:28

I try not to look at my phone for a little while before bedtime, but don’t always manage that. I use a lavender scented spray on my pillow every night as well and read for a little while.

SuzC Fri 19-Mar-21 18:49:05

Not eating too late at night is really important to me.

Wind down time before bed - put the phone away.

A nice warm shower and a little read.