Gransnet forums

Health

Oh for a Decent Covid Mask!

(36 Posts)
borderjoe Sat 20-Mar-21 10:16:10

I've made 4 different styles of masks, following the best information I could find at each time. I still haven't succeeded in producing a comfortable efficient mask. My latest attempt seems to avoid fogging of specs but I'm still not 100% happy with it. My questions are ... has anyone purchased and trialled the silicone inserts? If so, which ones please? ..... and also, are there any efficient masks out there that you can recommend for purchase or for making? I'm thinking of post lockdown when we'll all be out so much more and many of us will still be wanting to wear masks. I'm sort of dreading our hoped-for 3 hour bus journey in August! It's not a case of 'money being no problem' we need to monitor our spends, but I'd happily buy NHS recommended ones with profits going to the NHS. Surely this is an opportunity for someone going forward? .... maybe me ? grin

OnwardandUpward Thu 25-Mar-21 01:41:46

They will sniffle and even sneeze and cough into those masks. Do think they should be stopped.

Better they sniffle into a mask than their hand...!! Some people have appalling hygiene and my health has been better with mask wearing.

Interesting research @BorderJoe It backs up my mask preference for triple layers

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 18:46:50

Wow ... that's tough at work LtEve ... My (extensive) research online and also, I think, a WHICH? report I read a few months ago said that well made and 3 layer fabric masks were good and improve with washing as the fibres are drawn closer together. I've just checked on WHICH? ...I had forgotten to revisit ..... and I think there's maybe more info now ....https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article/how-to-buy-the-best-face-mask-or-covering-axi5Y1g35Cat

LtEve Mon 22-Mar-21 12:37:16

We have been forbidden from wearing fabric ones at work as have been told they are ineffective so have to wear surgical ones and change them every 15 minutes as they become useless once they become slightly damp with breathing on them.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Mar-21 12:21:32

I bought 2 of the recommended ones - I found that I got very out of breath when wearing them. I reverted to the blue NHS-style ones and it did not happen.

Makes me wonder how effective they are!!

nanna8 Mon 22-Mar-21 11:55:56

I got my pattern from a doctor on utube , too. I have many different colours made from cotton scraps lined with fine white cotton and they are more comfortable than the commercial ones. After a while and lots of washing some of the elastic weakens so I make a few more. My husband wears them but he isn’t very discriminating about colour. I had to point out that he was wearing a rainbow coloured one covered with little elves. He is quite a formal type, I had to laugh!

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 11:15:16

I'm really not very good at this posting! I try to reply to an individual comment but can't sorry, folks! Thanks to all of you for your answers and suggestions ..... my last reply wasn't meant for you, @Franbern ... but for @lemsip .... arghhh. I think I will try the silicone inserts .... hearing aids and specs are a nightmare for my hubby who also isn't very dexterous ... and I am constantly having to 'dress' him in his mask. I've had a look at the Alder hey ones and the masks for singers too .... and just read the latest about M&S so will check those out. The thing is, my home made ones are ok ...I'm not bad at crafting, but I so want them to do the job after all my efforts. Mine are 3 layered, wired etc etc. I'm tempted by the Alder Hey ones -look good, but they're not cheap and may just get one to try first. Thanks again. I do genuinely think we are going to need masks in our med store from now on if we want to beat Covid and whatever is down the road for us....not being dismal, just practical.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 11:07:04

I've just ordered some from M&S via ocado £7.50 for 5 as I am getting fed up of the medical ones grin

GagaJo Mon 22-Mar-21 11:03:56

I cope much better with the proper medical ones. They stand away from my face so don't actually touch my nose or mouth. Having avoided covid despite having direct contact with students at school who were positive, I am a bit happier now that they really do work.

I think we will be wearing masks for another 2 or 3 years. So best to get ones that suit you and you can live with.

I teach 5 hours some days wearing a mask. It was important to get the ones I could live with.

borderjoe Mon 22-Mar-21 11:00:45

Thanks for that but I've done so much research and used YouTube for the 4 styles I have made for family too .... I'm really thinkig of the long term wearing of masks as I can't see Covid disappearing and want to put my efforts into the best mask I can.

Franbern Sun 21-Mar-21 18:19:15

I detest wearing masks. Do use those little sillicone cage inserts and find they make them much more comfortable for me. Still have problems taking them off with my hearing aids, that always seem to get caught up in the elastic. Prefer to use the socalled disposable ones, which i do hand wash.

Be so very glad when I can stop using them. I am very concerned at th current imposition on secondary school=aged children to have to wear these all the time they are in school - Strikes me as one of the most unhygenic rules that could be imposed. Most of these youngsters will wear the same mask all day long- sometimes, pushing it up over their hair, or crammed into a pocket and then taken out. They will sniffle and even sneeze and cough into those masks. Do think they should be stopped.

OnwardandUpward Sun 21-Mar-21 18:12:00

I am vaccinated too, good point Bluebelle. As I understand it, we are vaccinated against this strain but will need boosters because it will mutate.

Masks and vitamins certainly worked for me as I was more healthy than before, but I will be glad to stop wearing them in the warmer weather.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Mar-21 17:49:26

I have numerous different kinds, the throw away ones, ones with elastic loops, ones with material loops, home made ones medical ones and none are comfortable I wear contacts so no glasses problems but they always ride up into my eyelashes if I loop the elastic round twice they re too tight round once they’re too loose
I will be burning mine not going through another season after the majority of us are vaccinated and hopefully we’ll have a booster jab each autumn / winter I m not going to use them a moment longer than necessary

OnwardandUpward Sun 21-Mar-21 17:38:17

JenniferEccles

You could be right Onward
There are already mutterings about next winter and mutations.
My bonfire is on hold!

This is not something I want to be right about, believe me!
Much as I hate wearing them, I've found that the disposable ones seem a lot hotter? Has anyone else found this? I tried the N95 ones too, but they were so uncomfortable and I didn't think the virus protection quality was very good as they let in air through a big vent in the side!

Fortunately the pretty masks I've invested in have got a lot of life left in them, now I just need to remember to wash them!

jusnoneed Sun 21-Mar-21 16:52:18

I agree Jennifer, they are horrible - hot and stuffy. I dread what it's going to be like if we are still being forced to wear them in the hotter weather. I am in and out of the supermarket as quick as possible, all the time having to lift the thing to wipe my nose or get some fresh air to try and stop my nose running, and certainly won't be going to other shops etc unless vital until we can go without them.

Nandalot Sun 21-Mar-21 16:34:21

Vosaie, were you trying to quote Gagajo’s post?

Vosaie Sun 21-Mar-21 16:16:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JenniferEccles Sun 21-Mar-21 16:13:30

You could be right Onward
There are already mutterings about next winter and mutations.
My bonfire is on hold!

OnwardandUpward Sun 21-Mar-21 13:42:57

I don't mean to be negative, but I'm not sure we ever will be able to burn them.

If covid mutates as much as people think, then the investment in fabric masks will be worth it. Usually my immunity is pretty bad, but the year that's just gone, I've been a lot healthier during the colder months than usual and I am sure it was down to wearing a mask in the shops or perhaps taking good quality vitamins.

JenniferEccles Sun 21-Mar-21 12:42:54

Oh for the day when I can have a ceremonial burning of all the blasted ?!

Kamiso Sun 21-Mar-21 12:11:42

I bought masks with double thickish cotton and a single fine cotton layer that the plastic inserts slide inside. Bought some cloths that were supposed to stop specs fogging but they haven’t worked.

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Mar-21 12:02:37

Me too for Brilliant no fogging and I wear glasses all the time.
brilliantmasks.co.uk/

mamaa Sun 21-Mar-21 11:06:46

Another here for BrilliantMasks- they had an offer on recently too.

OnwardandUpward Sun 21-Mar-21 07:07:25

I love the triple layer fitted masks at Redbubble. I tried sewing my own, but its so slow (Im so slow at sewing) there are things Id rather be doing and I prefer these!^

BigBertha1 Sun 21-Mar-21 06:48:18

Try Brilliant Masks. They have been designed by a surgeon at Alder Hey Childrens Hospital and a donation from sales go to their charity. They fit well, dont move about and dont fog up your specs also very pretty designs.

Jessica321 Sun 21-Mar-21 01:00:47

2020convert

I know what you mean! Been out today and driving a friend who has recently had a TIA so can’t drive herself. Both of us wore masks in the car, me constantly having to remove my glasses as fogged up. Windows open etc. Then went in a shop! Do you “not see what’s on offer” by taking your glasses off?

I bought one of these
www.superdrug.com/Health/Eye-Care/Eye-Wipes/The-Ab-Mask-Eyeglass-Anti-Fog-Cloth/p/801608
whilst it isn't 100% effective it does a great job allowing me to see "fog free"