Gransnet forums

Health

Overactive thyroid

(5 Posts)
gilbo21 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:59:52

Does anyone suffer with joint pain due to an overactive thyroid. I’ve just been diagnosed and wonder if this is one of the symptoms? I’m hot all the time which I know is a factor, and tired but wondered about the joints?

Vickysponge Sat 20-Mar-21 12:07:32

Hi go to Thyroiduk.org they have all the answers and a comprehensive list of symptoms for hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.

Doodledog Sat 20-Mar-21 13:06:25

I have thyroid issues (I flip from over to underactive all the time), and before I was diagnosed I was on the list for knee replacements because of arthritis.

I saw the X rays, and my knees are in a bad way (GP said moderate to severe), but when I was diagnosed with thyroid problems and given medication the pain cleared up to almost gone.

Make of that what you will.

Kate54 Sat 20-Mar-21 13:27:01

Yes! When I had this issue, joint pain was so pad, I could barely walk and found it hard to get up from a chair and, particularly, go upstairs. It was put down to steroid withdrawl symptoms as I had a slightly earlier other autoimmune disorder. In the end, after two years, the racing heartbeat started. I Googled the three main symptoms and hyperthyroidism jumped out at me . I had to virtually beg for a blood test (‘you don’t look like someone with an over active thyroid’) and guess what. A course of medication (about a year) sorted it out very quickly. My urology consultant congratulated me on making the diagnosis. His successor, though wasn’t surprised - once you’ve had one auto immune disorder, it’s not unusual to have another (which this is).
The big problem is that thyroid issue symptoms are/ can be very different in older people - the aching joints, for example, don’t usually affect younger sufferers apparently. So I think GPs miss it sometimes because they’re looking for the symptoms associated with the younger age group e.g. loss of weight, fidgeting, eye problems.
Good luck!

gilbo21 Sun 21-Mar-21 22:23:23

Thank you all, very helpful. Hopefully treatment will help my joint pain