Gransnet forums

Health

Always so tired

(16 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 20-Mar-21 20:20:58

Sorry in advance for my long diatribe. I’m retired in my late sixties and home all day on my own. I have a partner who stays with me every second weekend.

I’m on antidepressants, statins and have just been put on tablets for high blood pressure. I have so much to do but am too sleepy and end up just sitting in my recliner watching TV. I moved to a one bedroom bungalow last July. I’ve still got 3 moving boxes to unpack with kitchen items.

I had a storage lockup which I’ve just given up as it cost £140 a month. My son has taken a lot of the stuff to put in his storage. The rest I’ve brought home and is all over my bed in bags ready to either donate to charity or sell on eBay.

I’m a shopaholic and have acquired so much stuff over the last 7 years since my marriage broke up. I’m scared to go on Facebook because I fall for all the ads promising me an easier life or buying jewellery I already have too much of.

I really want to start cross stitch and diamond art kits I’ve bought recently to cheer myself up but I want to unpack my boxes and get rid of the stuff in my bedroom (I’m sleeping on my sofa bed) before I feel I can start my hobbies.

I don’t go to bed until around 3am and don’t get up until 2pm. I feel I’ve so little daytime hours. I just feel sleepy all the time and lacking motivation to do anything. If the postman knocks around 10am I tell myself I’ll make an early start but just end up going back to bed.

I want to get more exercise and fresh air but if I walk my dog my lower back pain gets the better of me. I have a couple of dog walkers who take her out voluntarily. I can’t see an end to this cycle of every day ? Has anyone got any advice on how to get out of this rut? I need some sort of motivation fellow Gransnetters please.

bente5 Sat 20-Mar-21 23:34:32

So sounds like me, been like that for years, recently found out that due to my diabetes, (have you had that checked?) and eating to many sweet and poor diet it got worse. It has now been 3 weeks, cutting out sweet etc and I am now up and about with heaps more energy, I also hired a treadmill, so far I only last 5 min, but it's amazing how it works. God Luck and take care!

avitorl Sat 20-Mar-21 23:44:59

Have you had blood tests for your Thyroid? I felt like a zombie before I was diagnosed as Hypothyroid.
As bente5 suggests check your diet and cut out sugar if you eat a lot of it and also lower your Carbohydrate intake as this may help.
Can you get someone to help with your unpacking so that your home really begins to feel like home?

SueDonim Sat 20-Mar-21 23:49:20

Tablets for high blood pressure can make you feel very lethargic. Maybe you need to try a different kind?

Smurf52 Sun 21-Mar-21 01:04:45

Thanks for that. Yes I’m pre diabetic and yes I eat a lot of sweet stuff. Looks like that knocks the nail on the head. I will cut out my sweet stuff. I’m pleased to report that after putting all this down on paper so as to speak, it was 9pm and I decided to unpack the three boxes. Tomorrow I feel ready to try and tackle my bedroom!

Smurf52 Sun 21-Mar-21 01:05:24

Oh and I had blood tests recently and my thyroid is normal.

avitorl Sun 21-Mar-21 11:02:05

Well done on starting your unpacking.Making your home feel like home should help you have more motivation to get on with life.
As you are Pre Diabetic cutting down on sugar and Carbs will help with this.

Nell8 Sun 21-Mar-21 11:34:32

Hello Smurf52. I've found myself in a similar rut in the past.

Being surrounded by piles of "stuff" gets to be depressing after a while.

A physio told me that sitting for long periods without getting up and moving around (every 20 minutes ideally!) would cause/aggravate lower back pain. Could you ask your GP for a physio appointment to address the back issue and make it easier to go for short walks?

When I used to overload on sugar I finally realised it was partly to blame for difficulty in getting to sleep.. I guess my system was like that of a hyperactive child gorging on birthday cake! Good luck!

Calendargirl Sun 21-Mar-21 11:47:14

Could you try going to bed at a more reasonable time, say 11 or 12 pm, and then try getting up say 9am?
Your body clock seems all out of sync to me.

Kamiso Sun 21-Mar-21 12:04:29

My body clock is totally out of sink but trying to reset it. OH goes to bed about 11-12ish I then sit for what I intend to be 30 minutes but then find it’s 4am. Last few night I get my OH to take my iPad upstairs with him.

Smurf52 Sun 21-Mar-21 13:40:27

Due to lockdown it will be hard getting referred to a physio, I’ll try when we’re back to normal. I’ve tried going to bed around 11 but then toss and turn and have to get up again. The BP tablet info does state being tired, but then I’ve been like this since I retired 4 years ago.

Newatthis Sun 21-Mar-21 13:46:15

I think you are well and truly depressed. What about counselling? I think, since lockdown, you can get a referral to a telephone counsellor. In the meantime use the '5 a day'. Do 5 things a day until you are ready to move to 6. This could just be put 5 things away. Get some fresh air if you can - start with short walk (dog free if this hurts) and maybe 2 or 3 lines of crosstitch - it will sone be finished! Small chunks!

M0nica Sun 21-Mar-21 14:45:32

Sounds like depression aggravated by pre-diabetes. Another cause could be anaemia. DD gradually felt more and more tired over about 6 months, turns out she was dangerously anaemic. Did your GP order a blood count when he ordered your blood test.

I think you need to gear yourself up to getting a regular daily routine. Fixed getting up and going to bed times. Fixed meal times. Proper balanced meals and reduce snacking, replace biscuits and sweets with fruit, savoury biscuits. Then crank in regular daily exercise. A good walk or something similar.

chelseababy Sun 21-Mar-21 14:57:47

Have you looked at Michael Mosley's pre diabetic diet?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 21-Mar-21 15:56:09

You need to sort your sleep pattern out, you aren’t getting enough daylight to help lift your mood. Sort out your diet next, it will make the world of difference to you.

Then break your day down into 1 hour slots, do one hour of something you don’t want to do, then reward yourself with an hour of your new hobby project or something you enjoy, try to spend some time outdoors to boost your VitD.

Put your iPad away at 8 pm and do something else, watch TV or read a book.
You know that your current lifestyle is unhealthy, that’s a step towards sorting yourself out.
Once you have made a start you should feel better, especially with the better weather and longer days due to start. At the end of the day, it’s up to you to sort yourself out.

wildswan16 Sun 21-Mar-21 16:17:10

Maybe start by getting your sleep pattern sorted. Getting to sleep is always easier if you have been reasonably active during the day - you don't have to go for a five mile hike - just potter round the house, empty one box, clean out one drawer etc.

I don't think you are necessarily clinically depressed - just fed up and in a rut, looking on the dark side of all your difficulties.

Stop shopping - you have enough stuff.

Just begin somewhere and sort your stuff out - and you may be amazed at how that changes your outlook as well.