Gransnet forums

Health

Cystoscopy

(12 Posts)
Rosiebee Tue 30-Mar-21 18:35:21

I'm booked in for a cystoscopy next week following a trip to doctor after finding blood in my wee. Has anyone had this done? I know it's got to happen but I am very apprehensive about the procedure. A camera up my urethra is really making me wince. Totally appreciate being able to have it done in this climate but they might need some form of machinery to get me to uncross my legsconfused.

EllanVannin Tue 30-Mar-21 19:02:18

It's an easier procedure for a woman than it is for a man.
I haven't had this done personally but have attended. It's not painful and a thin tube with a camera attached is used to examine inside the bladder. ( cystoscope )
It can be done either with a general anaesthetic or a local depending what the procedure entails.
Any unusual bleeds need investigating.

grannyqueenie Tue 30-Mar-21 19:08:36

I had to have one a couple years ago and like you was very apprehensive. I went in telling the nurses that I was very nervous and taking the same approach as I’d used when approaching child birth i.e “ women do this all the time it’s going to be fine!” They laughed and said it wouldn’t be anything like as hard as having a baby... and it wasn’t, virtually pain free and over quickly, with lovely supportive staff right there with me. Hope it all goes well for you too.

dogsmother Tue 30-Mar-21 20:45:35

Yes I’ve had this a few times. It’s fine uncomfortable as any catheter being inserted is but no more than that. Interesting to watch on screen the inside of your bladder.
Please feel free to message me if you want any more information.

Sago Tue 30-Mar-21 21:29:15

I’ve had a couple, it’s fine and only a bit uncomfortable.
Urinating afterwards was very painful for me and I got a urine infection after each procedure.

notanaturalblonde Tue 30-Mar-21 21:36:21

I have also had a flexible cystoscopy done a couple of times. I have to be honest, I barely felt anything. I did find that passing urine afterwards was uncomfortable for a few hours but nothing more than that.

Greyduster Tue 30-Mar-21 22:35:59

I have also had a couple of these done, and it’s not so bad. They’ll give you a local anaesthetic which helps. Its rather fascinating to see the inside of your bladder. (I don’t get out much!?).

InnocentBystander Wed 31-Mar-21 09:59:44

I am a man and have had this a couple of times. Suffice it to say that despite the urologist registrar being a gorgeous young Oriental woman (I am very attracted to Oriental ladies) it was shrivelled chipolata time! This does not aid the (painless) procedure. Don't fret OP, it's not even really uncomfortable even though I have an enlarged prostate to get the probe through.

Rosiebee Wed 31-Mar-21 12:39:02

Thank you all. DH is worried enough about me so I can't share my thoughts with him. I'm doing the stiff upper lip, move along, nothing to see here. Knew I would get a sensible perspective from folk on Gransnet. Will be re reading your messages before next Thursday.

annodomini Wed 31-Mar-21 12:55:06

I had one nearly 60 years ago. They put me under for it, so wasn't too uncomfortable. I understand that things are much easier now.

BlueSapphire Wed 31-Mar-21 17:27:09

I had one last year, and it was so painless I didn't even realise they'd put the camera in! I only realised when I could see the pictures on the screen. The only uncomfortable bit is that they keep flushing with water and you keep feeling as if you need a wee, but apart from that it was ok.

Franbern Thu 01-Apr-21 09:32:58

Had a flexible cystoposcopy when I was getting continual UTS's. Had a local anaestetic, and it was virtually painless. Was able to watch on the screen, and saw as they found a small growth. Cannot remember any after effects all. I was just relieved that something definite had been found that explained my painful, continous UTI's. Four weeks later I was taken in for this to be removed for a biop. (under a general).

Found to be benign, and that was that. Had a further flexible cystoscopy a few months back to check if there had been any regrowth. No, there had not and I was discharged. Again, totally painless and pretty quick, and no after effects. As there was again done under a local, I did not drive myself to and from the hospital, but TBH, felt that I could well have done so.