Gransnet forums

Health

OXFORD VACINE AND WARFARIN COMBO

(25 Posts)
Mary59nana Mon 19-Apr-21 21:02:47

Alegriasl thank you for update on your results
Pleased all gone back to normal and the same with my partner who was checked this morning at his INR clinic
Just goes to show how the vacine sometimes has a effect on our bloods without us realising

Keep safe and well all x

Greenfinch Sun 18-Apr-21 14:33:18

No problem with warfarin after second jab so it may just have been coincidence after the first one.

Aveline Sun 18-Apr-21 14:26:32

My DH was on Warfarin but was switched to Apixaban as it was more stable so easily monitored. Covid vaccines and blood thinners was studied and advice given. Have the vaccine.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:09:31

Wow, Susie42! Glad to hear you're back to normal.

I thought that you might be interested Mary59nana to know that I measured my INR again this morning and it is absolutely back to normal. I hope the same has happened for your partner.

Susie42 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:46:40

I'm on Warfarin and didn't have a problem with either of the two Pfizer jabs. I did manage to overdose on Warfarin and my INR shot up to 5.9. The clinic was closed as this was Easter weekend so I rang NHS 111 who were absolutely useless as they didn't understand that I needed a dose of Vitamin K to reverse this. I finally managed to speak to a doctor and I received good advice from him and I'm now back at the right level.

Alegrias1 Tue 13-Apr-21 17:04:28

Yes, it did seem more set up for the professionals Casdon. I feel it was worth doing though, you're right.

Casdon Tue 13-Apr-21 14:26:28

I agree Alegrias1 it isn’t. The other option for those who don’t want to navigate the online reporting system is to report to your GP practice and they will do it on your behalf - it’s really important to report any significant side effects as the cumulative reports could result in action which may ultimately save somebody’s life.

Alegrias1 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:34:38

I just went on the MHRA site and yellow carded my reaction. It wasn't the easiest website to navigate!

Iam64 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:23:09

I was moved from warfarin to apixiban after a cardiologist review. My reading on warfarin were irregular. The cardiologist said that indicated a change of blood thinner
Two years on, no problems and no need for regular INR

I had my 2nd Pfizer 2 weeks ago, no pribkems

Greenfinch Tue 13-Apr-21 12:34:56

A very interesting thread.Something I had not thought about.After being 2.5 for ages myINR went to 1.8 after my first jab. Today I went for another blood test and mentioned that I had had my second jab on Saturday. The phlebotomist said that people on warfarin are advised to go for a test a week after their flu jab but nothing has been said about the Covid one. I had never been told about the flu one and nobody asked me if I was on blood thinners when I went for these two! I shall be interested in today's INR result

henetha Tue 13-Apr-21 12:17:13

I had my second pfizer jab today. They asked if I was on blood thinning drugs. I am, I take Clopidogrel following a mini stroke. But they didn't seem concerned so I presume it's no problem.

FlexibleFriend Tue 13-Apr-21 12:13:10

They ask if you're on blood thinners but the only thing they are interested in is warfarin. I'm on Clexane and was of no interest to them. I used to be on Warfarin and my target Inr was 4.5

Mary59nana Mon 12-Apr-21 20:49:38

Thank you all it has given us great reassurance
Take care all

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 20:17:36

The level can alter week on week depending on your diet too.

Alegrias1 Mon 12-Apr-21 19:56:40

No problem Mary59nana

I should be between 2 and 3 with a target of 2.5 and it was 3.8.

Mary59nana Mon 12-Apr-21 19:48:57

Alergrisl
Would you mind if I asked what number your INR went up to as you say it went sky high ?

Alegrias1 Mon 12-Apr-21 19:31:00

I'm on Warfarin, have been for 9 years.

You get asked if you are on blood thinners in case of a bleed, that's all. I get asked the same question at the time of any injection, flu for instance.

I'm lucky enough to be on a scheme where I can check my own INR at home with a pin prick test, and can change the Warfarin dosage within agreed limits.

My INR went sky high after my first vaccine dose but no higher that it was the last time I was on antibiotics, so I'm not worrying about it. I might look at yellow carding it now that I've read this as it might be something worth knowing about if a other people are having it as well.

BlueSky Mon 12-Apr-21 19:17:42

I thought there was more to it when asked whether I had any known allergies or was on blood thinners. Wonder whether they had been warned about reports of clots? I’m looking too much into this now!

LauraNorder Mon 12-Apr-21 18:46:48

My husband is on warfarin for life. He had his first vaccination postponed because his blood was too thin and they were afraid of a bleed.
He had the first dose of the Astra Zeneca a week later when hi blood returned to normal. No side effects at all, not even a sore arm.
He is due for the second dose in a weeks time so I’ll let you know how it goes.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 18:19:30

A lot would depend on why these people take warfarin. There are varying reasons. Some only take it temporarily for a DVT, others for life because of blood or heart conditions, so knowing an illness or condition helps in case of adverse effects.

I too was asked if I was on blood-thinners, but not asked why !!

welbeck Mon 12-Apr-21 17:59:21

i was asked if i was on blood-thinning medication, when i had first jab.
am going for 2nd jab wednesday.

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 17:52:19

1% of the population, and 8% of over 80s are on warfarin, and the vaccine has been given to hundreds of thousands by now, with no evidence of significant side effects. That doesn’t mean some people won’t have them, but it will be a tiny minority who do. Most people on warfarin have been monitored by their GPs pre and post vaccination to reduce any risks, and any adverse effects are being reported via the yellow card system so would be recorded and investigated if there was a pattern of incidence. If your partner is only being monitored every 12 weeks that presumably means he wasn’t monitored before his vaccine, which is worrying if his levels fluctuate?

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 17:45:08

When the blood reading is higher, such as mine was, it means there's always a danger of bleeding as the blood goes too thin.
The lower the number denotes that the blood is thicker and liable to clot.

My reading should have been 2.5 and it was 3.2.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 17:41:56

I had a bad reaction to the first AZ vax. My INR hadn't been tested prior to getting the jab and I had a bad atrial fibrillation episode.
This was at the end of January.
I had an INR last Thursday to find it was higher than the range it was supposed to be which means that if I had a bleed anywhere I'd have to go to hospital as a high reading denotes bleeding. I have to go again this Thursday. My meds were also adjusted.

My INR's have never been what you call stable over the years I've been taking warfarin ( 14yrs) and is tested every 6 weeks.

For all I know the INR could have been low when I had the jab, which would mean that I'd be prone to clots and because it wasn't taken beforehand which would be the reason why I had the most awful episode.

I do think there's a correlation between the jab and warfarin, but somebody hasn't gone into it medically.
It's put me off having a second jab.

Mary59nana Mon 12-Apr-21 17:26:57

My Partner is on the blood thinning drug Warfarin
Had his Oxford flu jab 5 weeks ago.
Had his 12 week blood tested today only to show his number in relation to blood gone higher meaning blood is to thick.
Having adjusted his meds he goes back next week but he is wondering is it connected to the Covid jab or not ?
Any others had this problem?