Gransnet forums

Health

Looking for some advice about gallbladder surgery recovery

(12 Posts)
SingleGram Wed 14-Apr-21 13:20:59

I had to take an ambulance to hospital a couple of days ago and due to Covid practices here in Canada it was to capacity. I am a diabetic and live alone and my day and a half wait to see a doctor was really unpleasant. Anyways...it was not a planned surgery and I am home now they do not keep you and all I had to go by was a few basic instructions that were for anyone. (I am 62 and retired on a small pension at 60 due to health issues I thought it best to take it earlier so it is not very high and I don't have the income to hire someone to help me)
I don't have anyone that lives really close by but I was until this happened driving to another town everyday to take care of my 2 and a half year old grandaughter. The pressure is on to go back but it has only been 3 days and I have flat out refused until after I have my appointment for a check up.
I am struggling just making meals and doing basic tidy ups. I had a lot of problems at the hospital with my blood sugars and had to have shots of glucose several times. Since being home it is all over the place still. I am still having a lot of pain which as I understand is not unusual for most. The garbage is piling up in the can and it has only been a couple of days so far. I am hoping for a few guidelines or suggestions. Has anyone else been in this situation on their own?
Today is the first day I am allowed to take a shower and only a short one. I just find I am overwhelmed and wondered if anyone else had ever been in this situation and if you had any tips for me? Thanks very much!

B9exchange Thu 15-Apr-21 21:08:21

You poor soul, I do hope things improve for you soon. I live in the UK, so not sure how the health care support works in Canada. We have an excellent advice line run by the NHS which will give you some useful information, hope this might help? www.nhs.uk/conditions/gallbladder-removal/

Take it as easy as you can, you will feel very different in a couple of weeks, but don't rush back to childcare before you are ready.flowers

Hemelbelle Fri 16-Apr-21 20:41:48

I had my gall bladder out in my early 50s ten years ago by keyhole. I was initially given a sick note for two weeks and my GP gave me one for another two weeks and said 2 weeks was far to early to go back to work. I did go back after four weeks, but with hindsight I would have taken a further two weeks off, as it wasn't until about 2 months that I felt back to normal. Although I had key hole there were still a lot of internal stitches that take time to dissolve as well as the healing process. With diabetes, the healing process may take a lot longer. You should start to feel better in a couple of weeks, but not enough to be driving and certainly not enough to be looking after a 2 year old. Get plenty of rest, but do get up and move around your home too. Well done for being firm with your family (it sounds like you are far from retired if you are looking after a toddler every day) and get advice at your checkup before making any decisions about going back to childcare.

jenpax Fri 16-Apr-21 21:25:17

You have had an organ removed and thats pretty exhausting! I am not surprised you are struggling! If anything AC should be helping you rather than expecting you to care full time for a lively toddler!

Jane43 Fri 16-Apr-21 21:37:01

Our NHS publishes useful information, this link will take you to gall bladder surgery and recovery, I hope it is of use to you and that you get better soon. Child care can be exhausting so please make sure you are up to it before you return to it.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/gallbladder-removal/recovery/

crazyH Fri 16-Apr-21 21:51:09

SingleGram, you poor thing ....I feel so sorry for your plight. Some children know how to take, but not how to give. My sis-in-law has just had hers removed, and has some social service help, but she is rich enough to have paid help now. I’m surprised Canada doesn’t have sort of similar SS care in place for people in your position. Hope you feel better soon flowers

SingleGram Sat 17-Apr-21 02:19:51

Thanks very much to all who suggested things and even having someone to tell is helpful.

SingleGram Sat 17-Apr-21 02:28:52

It is true that my kids have let me down. I tried again earlier today to ask for some help at least with the garbage. Since no one even replied to the text I called. Both flat out refused said they are busy with their own lives and expecting this of them is unrealistic. How soon they forget that I walked my grandbaby all night and made meals and stayed for 2 weeks when baby was born...but I have learned something from this although it is not a good thing. I raised them to be good people and I am honestly not sure why it is happening. On Monday I plan to look into any help I might get for a couple of weeks really just someone to come in once a week and take out garbage and perhaps vacuum would be helpful. I am not sure if these programs exist for me here but I will for sure be checking. Thanks so much for your care and replies. It means more than you can know!

silverlining48 Sat 17-Apr-21 07:40:09

It will be at least a couple of weeks before you can drive safely and up to six before you are fully recovered so take this time to rest and maybe consider
Carefully what you want to do about childcare. It does seem like you are being taken for granted and I am
Sorry your children have not been any help.
You need time to recover, take care of yourself.

Rowantree Sat 24-Apr-21 08:39:53

singlegram my heart goes out to you. Your family are being cruel and unfeeling. You should therefore do what is best for you - full stop. Is there are local friend or neighbour who can help with the garbage for a little while? You'd do the same for them, and most people would be happy to help. Getting someone in to help short term is an excellent idea. I'd completely forget any thoughts or worries you have about looking after a toddler. Wow. You're their family, you've just had major surgery and it's not easy. I've had that op and was surprised how long it took me to feel 'normal' and recover properly. Nothing is more important than your own health and wellbeing. Pay someone to shop and clean for you, make sure you have nutritious foods to eat and snack on, drink plenty of water. Keep us posted about how you're doing. Wishing you a good recovery. XX

Yoginimeisje Fri 30-Apr-21 09:12:54

Singlegram No way you can look after your 2yr old GD! You have had a major operation, or was it keyhole? Even if it was the later, still far to early to look after a boisterous little one.

I had a gallbladder op 32yrs ago, not keyhole and my scare is massive. I had it done in the Netherlands where I was living then. I remember being very weak after, being in a lot of pain, definitely could not lift my 2yr old up into his high chair. My m&d came over from UK to help.

You need help around the house until you have fully recovered. Would SS help?

Wish you a speedy recovery flowers

Yoginimeisje Fri 30-Apr-21 09:15:07

You must not lift anything heavy or do any heavy house work, try to get some help, you need it!