Gransnet forums

Health

Eye tests

(27 Posts)
Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 17:22:01

Hi, My husband has been to spec savers today for an eye test and been charged £35 he’s 68. I always thought they were free for over 60s .

glammanana Sat 08-May-21 10:54:11

I had what they called a health scan of the back of my eyes last week due to blurred vison coming on quickly over the last 3 weeks I only had a full eye test last December after having my cataracts done the previous Sept/October the scan cost £10 and was well worth having as it showed up fluid at the back of the eyes which will be dealt with via laser treatment in the next week or two a painless process which will correct the problem,I can't thank Specsavers enough for their prompt treatment,even if I had to pay every year for tests it is money well spent for peace of mind.

jeanie99 Sat 08-May-21 10:39:53

If you are not having any issues with you sight there is no need to purchase another pair of specs.
The only reason would be if you wanted a change of frame.
I have a high prescription so my lenses are very expensive in the hundreds for the lenses and frames so I certainly wouldn't change them if I had no issues.
People with really bad eyesight are penalized and have to pay high prices, it really annoys me but what can you do.

Marydoll Thu 29-Apr-21 18:48:00

I have to have annual eyes tests, due to health issues. At the last one before lockdown, my prescription had changed slightly. The ophthalmologist advised me not to waste money on new glasses. I really need new ones now, but due to shielding, I haven't been to the optician for nearly two years!

Katyj Thu 29-Apr-21 16:35:10

Hi, I had an eye test a couple of weeks ago and for the first time was told I need glasses for distance, but not enough to need glasses for driving.
She asked me how I felt and was I shocked, I was more disappointed than anything and explained that I was tired.
It was specsavers so I went for the buy one pair get the 2nd free, or so I thought only it doesn’t work when your getting two different prescriptions. I feel now as if I should have questioned it, because I haven’t worn the distance ones yet .

Ramblingrose22 Thu 29-Apr-21 00:30:33

Does anyone know if it's essential to change your glasses when the change in the prescription is fairly small?

A consultant told me your vision can very from day to day so the prescription covers a range, not a specific measurement.

I am having no trouble with my vision with the existing prescription and fear that the new opticians I have used are just trying to get money for a new pair of glasses and a spare pair that I don't really need.

Has this happened to others?

Puzzled Mon 26-Apr-21 01:24:53

Strange that Specsavers want to charge for an eye test within 2 years.
At one time they wanted me for a test after 6 months, and made no charge. Certainly on the annual test there is no mention of a charge for the NHS test.
I just have to give D o B and sign the form.

Aveline Tue 20-Apr-21 17:54:11

tanith- sorry to derail but how is your DGS?

tanith Tue 20-Apr-21 14:38:34

That’s a result for sure.

Katyj Tue 20-Apr-21 14:27:23

Guess what ,specsavers rang DH this morning to apologise! They said they hadn’t realised he was over 60. He’s like a dog with two tails smile

Aveline Mon 19-Apr-21 21:50:53

I had to pay a supplement last year when I had my eyes tested. It wasn't a chain optician. They had a special machine scanner thing that looked in greater depth at the retina (I think!). I didn't mind paying. I need to see as well as possible.

Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 20:15:35

Yes M0nica I get mine free, for the same reason. I still have to pay £10 though for the back of eye test, even though they can only do one eye because of scarring. Suppose it should only be a fiver really smile

Marydoll Mon 19-Apr-21 20:10:34

Scotland is the only country in the UK to provide free universal NHS funded eye examinations. I have my eyes tested annually at no cost.

M0nica Mon 19-Apr-21 19:51:56

I get free tests every year because there is a strong history of glaucoma in my family.

tanith Mon 19-Apr-21 19:33:20

I was also asked to pay as I had had a test within two years but they let me off as I was worried about my dry eyes.

Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 19:30:46

Yes ladies he’s hopeless. I’ll be going down to the shop tomorrow. I went last week for my eye test, and whilst I was there asked if DH was due one they said last one was Dec 2018 so I made the appointment while I was there.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 19-Apr-21 19:19:34

I’d be getting my money back

TrishJ Mon 19-Apr-21 19:17:58

You just can’t let them out alone ? mine would have paid as well ??‍♀️ It’s free for over 60’s so get your money back.

Blossoming Mon 19-Apr-21 19:11:38

I get a free eye test every year since I turned 60. It may be because I have hypertensive retinopathy and visual impairments. I didn’t realise I was only entitled to one every 2 years, I shall look into it.

LadyStardust Mon 19-Apr-21 18:46:52

I went to Asda opticians last week and had to pay for the eye test, but its because I already had a test in the previous 2 years. My prescription expires in June but as I'd broken my current glasses and needed new ones, I was happy to pay as I didn't see the point in getting glasses on my old prescription in case my sight had changed. Over 60s do get free eye tests but only one every 2 years. Perhaps your husband had a test within the last 2 years?

Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 18:29:51

Hi yes he had the scan. It’s £25 for the eye test and £10 for the scan. He paid £35 in total. It can’t be right. I’m thinking they’ve done it privately, but I made the appointment for him and the didn’t ask either way.

H1954 Mon 19-Apr-21 18:15:29

Did he have a scan? I think there is a charge for extra tests regardless of age but I could be mistaken.

Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 18:14:45

On their website it states that they have put a pause on free eye tests, then says they are providing free eye tests from the nhs. Very confusing. He’s always had nhs eye tests .

Katyj Mon 19-Apr-21 18:10:03

Hi, He doesn’t look younger than 60 smile I’ve just been talking to specsavers on live chat, she says it should have been free and sent me a form to fill in. I’ll be ringing them tomorrow, it’s really annoyed me.

B9exchange Mon 19-Apr-21 17:31:14

He should take his driving licence or birth certificate and go back and demand a refund!

Calendargirl Mon 19-Apr-21 17:27:43

They are free.

Does he look particularly youthful?