Gransnet forums

Health

Headache

(10 Posts)
ExD Tue 27-Apr-21 11:24:57

Is it normal to have an intermittent blinding headache after surgery for carpal tunnel release?

tanith Tue 27-Apr-21 11:39:08

I had surgery 18 mths ago never had a headache. Could it be reaction to any drugs given? They will of given you a number to contact on discharge I would give them a ring and ask.

Marydoll Tue 27-Apr-21 12:06:17

It could be the after effects of the anaesthetic. I felt pretty rough after mine.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Apr-21 12:52:36

I was thinking the same about the anaesthetic. When I had it I couldn't stop shaking for a few hours. It was very odd.

ExD Tue 27-Apr-21 12:54:51

I had a local anaesthetic, no sedation or other medication. I did find the tourniquet very painful, it was so tight.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:57:41

It’s unlikely to be the surgery, but could easily be a reaction to the anaesthetic, very common. The shaking is your muscles waking up from their paralysed state. Years ago...we gave pre meds which stopped this, but not any more.
Still speak to your doctor though ExD, to rule out anything else. I’ve had loads of anaesthetics, often followed by migraines, but it’s good to make sure,
Hope you feel better soon.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:58:30

Oh...just seen you had a local....ignore everything I just said?

Spidergran3 Tue 27-Apr-21 13:54:19

Have you managed to speak to anyone regarding the symptoms you wrote about on Sunday? I guess this is about a week since your procedure? I had a carpal tunnel release about twenty years ago and I don’t remember having any of these issues. I really think you should be seeing someone as a matter of urgency. I’d go back to the hospital if your GP is still not cooperating. Best wishes. ?

ExD Tue 27-Apr-21 20:55:08

Finally got a Dr's appt tomorrow, by exaggerating my symptoms a bit I confess. The headaches aren't THAT bad .... but I am a bit worried.

welbeck Tue 27-Apr-21 23:14:23

they are that bad to make you worried.
there is no exaggeration. you are entitled to care and advice.
all the best.