Gransnet forums

Health

Online GP service ..... is this the future?

(8 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Thu 29-Apr-21 08:22:26

This is seriously going to be detrimental to people's wellbeing. I've read before that someone went to the gp about a different ailment (before covid times), and they actually spotted melanoma which was in situ so only needed it removing with no further treatment. If that patient had a phone call instead, I dread to think how it could've turned out.

foxie48 Wed 28-Apr-21 21:09:40

It's really difficult to recruit GPs, it seems that many would prefer to locum than take over the responsibility of being F/t in a practice. When my daughter was training as a medic she did placements in GP surgery's and absolutely hated it as did most of the students she trained with and tbh she felt that most GPs also hated it too. Perhaps we need to think about why it's difficult to recruit GPs otherwise the situation will just continue to get worse.

ElaineI Wed 28-Apr-21 21:06:03

DH has a suspicious mole on his shoulder. The GP asked if I could photograph it and send it to the Practice which I did then had to send another after 6 weeks. They are happy to observe. Good point Callistemon - even if you can send it to the GP then they could send it on.

Callistemon Wed 28-Apr-21 20:55:27

My GP called me and prescribed a cream for what I fear is a basal cell carcinoma.
18 months ago I spotted a mole on my husbands back that was cancerous, I would have hoped that with that in mind and having had cancer previously she would have seen me.
No!

Even if you do not go to the dermatology clinic in person, your GP should see you and take a photograph to send off to the consultant.

Oldbat1 Wed 28-Apr-21 20:25:30

Our GPs do majority by phone. They seemingly can’t recruit GPs and those they do have only work part-time. We live in a lovely part of the country too.

tanith Wed 28-Apr-21 20:24:47

I had sun damage on my face my GP rang me and then said she needed to see me so she could assess it face to face. I would insist on being seen.

Shinamae Wed 28-Apr-21 20:18:24

Write to the practice manager.....

Sago Wed 28-Apr-21 20:14:34

Our local GP practice has never been good, the reception was replaced with a computer a couple of years ago, some staff are stroppy, they close on a Wednesday afternoon and have regular closures for staff training.

Repeat prescriptions are now on an outsourced system that rarely works.

I called for an appointment with a doctor yesterday, the first in over 18 months.
I would have had more chance having tea on the moon with the Queen.

My GP called me and prescribed a cream for what I fear is a basal cell carcinoma.
18 months ago I spotted a mole on my husbands back that was cancerous, I would have hoped that with that in mind and having had cancer previously she would have seen me.
No!

I have sensed way before COVID that our practice really don’t want to meet patients, I have always felt I’m a nuisance and I’m now convinced face to face appointments will become a thing of the past.