Gransnet forums

Health

Hallucinations & Dementia

(20 Posts)
kittylester Fri 14-May-21 20:36:23

I suggest that people Google the Bookcase Model of Memory. Lots of these hallucinations are probably actually old memories.

Peasblossom Fri 14-May-21 16:01:17

My MIL would ask why her son (long dead) was not with me. I would say he was parking the car and she was happy with that. Two minutes later she wouldn’t know who I was so it did no harm.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 15:53:59

More generally, when people with dementia start telling you things that are patently incorrect or they are seeing in hallucinations (uless they are frightening)) it is better to just agree with them and affirm them, as the OP did with her mother.

When my uncle went into care he kept worrying abut an appointment he said he had with his bank manager, to begin with I always told him that he didn't have one and not to worry. Then one day I said to him. 'Its alright I have spoken to the manager and we have cancelled the appointment and will rearrange it when you get home.' He accepted this quite happily and never mentioned the problem again.

Shelflife Fri 14-May-21 15:05:21

I was a volunteer for the Alzheimers Society for 14 years . Covid has my work on hold just now. Hallucinations are not uncommon for people with dementia. I think you are responding appropriately by acknowledging what she says and going along with her story. It is indeed very real to her. She is no longer able to be in your world and it is easier for her and you ! if you can step into hers. My mum lived with us for 4 years before we had to find the right nursing care for her. Sometimes when I visited her she would tell me off for leaving my baby alone at home, I was a grandma by then! She would become very upset and astounded at my 'behaviour' The only way I could pacify her was to agree I was in the wrong and go home immediately to ' parent ' my child . A quick kiss goodbye and I was on my way. Didn't happen every visit thank goodness. Indeed urine infections can cause or add to confusion so do ensure she does not have an infection. I wish you and your mother well.

Alexa Thu 13-May-21 08:40:53

When I first lost much of the sight in one eye I got very mild Charles Bonnet syndrome and was sorry when it stopped. I enjoyed it quite a lot as I never knew what I'd see.Usually it was simply pretty patterns like figured lace. For a brief time there were little people too appearing behind my closed eyelids.

kittylester Thu 13-May-21 07:55:03

Doodledog

*True hallucinations are rare in dementia*

They are a feature of Lewy Body Dementia, though.

I agree doodldog but Lewey Bodies is not very common in itself and a very common cause of hallucinations is a UTI particularly in older females living with dementia (who often forget to drink) and worth checking out.

Other causes of problems can be dehydration, constipation, pain, etc.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 13-May-21 06:04:40

Last year my mum, while I was shielding her, got delirium. It was the strangest thing ever, she saw all kinds of things.

sukie Thu 13-May-21 02:20:51

As Septimia suggests, this could have something to do with a sight problem. My own mother, in her 80's at the time, was diagnosed with Charles Bonnet syndrome. She was of sound mind but had macular degeneration. She waited a long time to tell us of the hallucinations she was experiencing. She was afraid she was losing her mind. It was such a relief for her to learn it had to do with her vision loss. Here is a link for more information: www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/eyes-charles-bonnet-syndrome#types-of-hallucinations-in-charles-bonnet-syndrome

Shinamae Wed 12-May-21 16:02:16

We have two ladies with Parkinson’s in the home I work at and they both have Lewy body dementia as well. Apparently it features heavily in people with Parkinsonins which in itself is pretty appalling....

trisher Wed 12-May-21 15:56:09

Do have her checked for a UTI they are so common in older women. It might be a good idea to have her properly checked by her GP as well. A friend's mum had problems with her legs and halucinated when she had infections. She used to see all sorts of things.

Doodledog Wed 12-May-21 15:47:32

True hallucinations are rare in dementia

They are a feature of Lewy Body Dementia, though.

KarenR Wed 12-May-21 15:46:46

Yes my mum had Lewy Bodies dementia. The hallucinations were awful and very much part of this most cruel disease. It’s pointless attempting to try and convince the older person that what they see isn’t real but better to play along and reassure. If you haven’t previously perhaps ask to be referred to the memory clinic.
That having been said UTI’s are very common in older people and can often lead to similar symptoms so maybe your doctor can let you have some urine dip sticks. Make sure your mum drinks, not always easy I know.
Please if you haven’t already register at your GP’s as a carer, when I did this I was put in touch with several agencies which offered help and advice.

kittylester Wed 12-May-21 15:30:45

True hallucinations are rare in dementia but, as others have said, a UTI can cause them.

With which sort of dementia has she been diagnosed?

Peasblossom Wed 12-May-21 15:18:05

Yes, my grandmother, in her nineties, would say that there was someone in the room.

She also heard hymn singing and would often sing along. I used to just sing along with her.

You can’t reason it away. You just have to reassure like you are doing.

keepingquiet Wed 12-May-21 15:17:39

Yes, urine infections can do this, as well as dementia medication. My mum used to see little girls too- much worse hallucinations to have!

oodles Wed 12-May-21 15:06:47

Always worth checking for a UTI.
Sounds like you are doing the right thing, the child is real to her.

Septimia Wed 12-May-21 15:06:30

FiL had dementia, but he also had macular degeneration and was deaf. He often had visual and aural hallucinations which were probably caused by the latter two problems. He would say that he'd seen a boy in the house. If I remember rightly, we would check round and reassure him that the boy had gone.

Does your mother have any sight problems that might be contributing to her hallucinations?

Doodledog Wed 12-May-21 15:05:15

My stepfather had Lewey Body Dementia, and hallucinations are a symptom of this condition.

They were distressing for him, and it is probably worth asking if your mum can be screened for this. You have my sympathy, as it is a cruel illness. Be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Alima Wed 12-May-21 15:03:22

I have very little experience of hallucinations but do know that my elderly sister in law suffered with them last year. We were surprised to learn they were a symptom of a urine infection.

Anneishere Wed 12-May-21 14:57:32

My mum is aged 90 with mild / moderate dementia. Often when I’m sitting with mum who has dementia she has started within the last couple of months saying she sees a child / a toddler. Also she will suddenly jump up looking worried and startled asking where has the child gone. Yesterday when I was sitting with her watching the TV she suddenly looked over at me worried asking why the child has gone behind my chair and I must keep an eye on the child because of the electrics. A little girl aged about 2/3 years. I don’t really say anymore there is no toddler or baby - I just say the child is okay and fine and happy which seems to settle mum down. When she looking at child it is as if she really is seeing a child. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you respond.