Gransnet forums

Health

Vaccines 12-15 year olds

(16 Posts)
ayse Sat 05-Jun-21 12:13:54

growstuff

ayse

Both my children will not consent to this. I only had the vaccine because of my age and the health risks to myself and others. We need to accept that Covid is now endemic and learn to live with it, just as we live with all diseases.

No, we don't live with all diseases. Vaccinations changed the health of the nation of the nation and there are now relatively few deaths from infectious diseases.

Personally, I don't want to return to an age when smallpox wiped out whole families, rubella resulted in serious complications for the babies of infected women or measles and mumps had serious consequences. As a child, I was hospitalised with measles meningitis and it's something I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Yes we do live with the diseases! The vaccines provide protection for the young against them although TB, measles etc. are on the rise.

We have immune systems to combat corona virus and as I said the younger sections of the nation have far less chance of becoming seriously ill.

aggie Sat 05-Jun-21 12:10:57

I remember the Polio outbreak , it was awful , I’ve seen children extremely ill with measles, I had the Smallpox and BCG vaccines , I am 83 but don’t think I would be as well as I am now but for these vaccines . Diphtheria carried off many babies and children , family history says 12 of my ancestors died in infancy from Diphtheria
None of these diseases are common now
So am sure it’s the right thing to do ,

ayse Sat 05-Jun-21 12:10:01

geekesse

ayse

Both my children will not consent to this. I only had the vaccine because of my age and the health risks to myself and others. We need to accept that Covid is now endemic and learn to live with it, just as we live with all diseases.

Mmm, like measles, whooping cough, polio, TB, HPV… all of which are controlled by childhood vaccination.

Yes and many parents choose not to have these tried and tested vaccinations. No vaccines are mandatory currently. Nobody puts pressure on parents who choose not to vaccinate their children. IMO, Covid, generally speaking is less lethal to the vast majority of young people. There are of course exceptions and this should not be ignored.

There is no long term data for side effects of Covid vaccines on anyone! It’s too soon to make an informed decision.

JaneJudge Sat 05-Jun-21 12:09:50

TB is an interesting one because they stopped giving the vaccination didn't they and then cases of infection started to increase

JaneJudge Sat 05-Jun-21 12:08:53

EllanVannin, my son had his too during the second lockdown in the car on a village hall car park smile

JaneJudge Sat 05-Jun-21 12:07:14

I have one who falls in this age group and I think it is sensible to have it. The figures show it is spreading in schools and then into the wider community. Certainly where I live they have had localised problems and took measures to close some schools, so it is an acknowledged problem.

EllanVannin Sat 05-Jun-21 12:04:45

One of my GGD's had her HPV vaccine about a month ago. Older schoolchildren get them and the nurse did it at home for her because of her fear of needles.
This protects from cervical and other cancers. I remember a GD also having this vaccine some years ago at school.

growstuff Sat 05-Jun-21 12:00:55

ayse

No, we don't live with all diseases. Vaccinations changed the health of the nation of the nation and there are now relatively few deaths from infectious diseases.

Personally, I don't want to return to an age when smallpox wiped out whole families, rubella resulted in serious complications for the babies of infected women or measles and mumps had serious consequences. As a child, I was hospitalised with measles meningitis and it's something I wouldn't wish on anybody.

BlueSky Sat 05-Jun-21 11:56:47

I would be hesitant for youngsters in that age group, for the reasons given above. But I believe some children have sadly died at the beginning of the pandemic. I remember with horror the case of a 13 year old who tragically died in hospital without his family being allowed to visit.

geekesse Sat 05-Jun-21 11:52:00

ayse

Mmm, like measles, whooping cough, polio, TB, HPV… all of which are controlled by childhood vaccination.

geekesse Sat 05-Jun-21 11:48:52

Since mask-wearing in schools is no longer required, children are passing respiratory infections around willy-nilly. About a third of the kids in my school have picked up a cold since 17th May. If a child brings Covid into the school, it will spread like wildfire amongst students, and through them into the community, increasing case numbers and possibly hospital admissions and deaths. The increase in cases recently coincides with the removal of some restrictions, one of which was face-masks in schools. Widespread transmission of the virus through schools would feed a third wave and could lead to a new lockdown.

I can understand reservations people have about vaccinating children, but this must be a factor in the thinking as well.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Jun-21 11:20:35

My grandson has had the AZ jab - both doses. He is 16. Suffered no ill effects whatsoever as opposed to his parents who were laid low for a day or two.

He prefers to have the jab than suffer the consequences if catching covid.

Most of his age think the same. Rather sensible I think.

annodomini Sat 05-Jun-21 11:04:31

It is simply not true to say that children don't "suffer serious consequences of Covid". Nobody yet knows how many children will develop Long Covid following the viral infection and it has also been shown that a number of children have been seriously ill with a syndrome resembling Kawasaki disease, suffering from a range of symptoms presents more often with abdominal pains and diarrhoea alongside the common features such as persistent fever My youngest GS had exactly these symptoms plus a rash and continued to have abdominal symptoms for some time. He will now be vaccinated, but in his case the horse has bolted!
www.imperial.ac.uk/news/198077/kawasaki-like-syndrome-linked-covid-19-children-condition/

ayse Sat 05-Jun-21 11:03:52

Daisymae Sat 05-Jun-21 11:00:37

I also have reservations about vaccinating children. I know all about the infection rate and spread risk and I have been vaccinated myself. If I were a parent I would hold back at the moment.

ayse Sat 05-Jun-21 10:42:11

Pfizer jab has been approved but this vaccine is not fully tested

Why use the word 'Approved'? All these vaccines are being issued under the 'Emergency Use Authorization' that is very different to Approved, and why do these articles never mention that these vaccines are on trial review until 2023 and that at present it is a phase 3 trial. The proposal now has to go to The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).

Israel has not vaccinated its children as the adult population is now vaccinated.

Apart from ethical considerations of vaccinating children should we not be vaccinating adults on a global basis rather than using these vaccines on children that generally do not suffer severe consequences of having Covid?

Any side effects on the long term health of our children are currently unknown and I would not wish my grandchildren to be given this vaccine.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57358446

Please excuse if the link doesn’t work