Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin K2

(8 Posts)
nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 13:39:47

I take vitamin D3 hoping it will help M.E. I've just read that it should always be taken with vitamin K2. Now I am wondering if I am doing more harm taking D3. I have a cholesterol problem and take statins, and D3 apparently causes a buildup of calcium in the bloodstream. Any advice please?

Blossoming Tue 15-Jun-21 14:47:46

I don’t take anything without checking with my doctors as I’m on a lot of prescription meds. I had hypercalcaemia and hyperparathyroidism due to a tumour on a parathyroid gland, causing an overproduction of parathyroid hormone. This causes calcium to be leached from the bones, which in turn raises blood calcium, causes osteoporosis and kidney damage. I don’t pretend to understand how it all works, but people with HPT are often deficient in Vitamin D. The offending gland, plus another found during surgery have now been removed and I have yearly blood tests to keep an eye on my levels, including B12, potassium and sodium. I’m deficient in Vitamin D3 so take a daily capsule on the advice of my endocrinologist. I think the best thing for you to do is ask for a blood test including the above, then you’ll know if you’re deficient. There are many different strengths of D3 available over the counter so advice is needed to get the right one,

Marydoll Tue 15-Jun-21 15:31:34

I agree with everything you have said Blossoming, I too am VitD deficient, so deficient my levels don't even register.
My medication is prescribed by my endocrinologist and my levels monitored regularly.
It is not advisable to take VitD, without medical supervision, if you have underlying health conditions.

nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 16:30:14

Thanks, Blossoming and Marydoll.
I'll do that.

nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 16:37:09

You both have obviously much more to cope with than I. Thanks for your help.

Marydoll Tue 15-Jun-21 16:39:16

? Good luck, nadateturbe !

Blossoming Tue 15-Jun-21 17:12:21

Hope all goes well nadateturbe

nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 17:28:18

Thank you.?