Gransnet forums

Health

No alcohol for women of child bearing age !

(123 Posts)
NanKate Thu 17-Jun-21 21:26:45

The World Health organisation have suggested women of child bearing age should be banned from taking alcohol. ?

I listened to Woman’s Hour today and many of the callers suggested if women are banned, men should be also. That will put the cat amongst the pigeons. ??

What are your thoughts ?

maddyone Sat 19-Jun-21 10:55:10

I haven’t read the report, only seen the inflammatory headlines. Everyone is aware these days of the advice to pregnant women that they should avoid alcohol, but it seems this new WHO advice is to all women of childbearing age to avoid alcohol. If I’m understanding it correctly, then I can’t agree with this advice. Women who are trying to conceive or are pregnant are advised, and probably should, avoid all alcohol, but it seems extreme to advise all women of childbearing age to avoid all alcohol. Somehow I don’t see this advice being followed.

silverlining48 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:55:15

In the 70 s when I was pregnant we could already be 8 weeks or more pregnant before we even knew. No diy stick tests then. Doctors diagnosed this.
So, firstly a missed period, then a wait for 2 weeks or so in case it was late, make appointment to visit Gp for examination and Urine test )related to doing something to toads,) another wait week or so and then back to the gp. to get the results.
It took ages and until pregnancy was confirmed drinking and smoking carried on as usual. So you could already be two or even three months pregnant before you knew anything unless you were unlucky enough to feel sick etc and I was lucky there. I had none of those unpleasant symptoms.

WoodLane7 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:56:00

If I am honest when WHO returned from their fact finding mission to China announcing that the start of Covid in Wuhan and a lab 4 miles away experimenting with the virus were just coincidences I ust didn't believe them and lost all respect for them at that point.
You would think they had better things to do with their time than making sweeping statements about who should and shouldn't consume alcohol. People should have access to the facts and be able to make up their own minds without this nanny state kind of interference

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:56:19

Jillybird

Are there only men in the WHO?

ha...I checked this. It seems like the majority are. I don't think we can blame the whole of the WHO though as this document was the work of a subcommittee and is only (so far) a published draft.....also its not a body of people who WANT to be there. Every member country is entitled to nominate a representative and, as i understand it, statements and papers may be produced that do not have unanimous or even majority support. The rep for the UK is Chris Whitty and I bet he had no hand in this, although he probably has evidence based views on alcohol use during pregnancy and excess alcohol use at any time by anybody.

MarjieM Sat 19-Jun-21 11:01:57

It’s disgraceful that it’s even under discussion. By what right can they do this. There are plenty of women of child bearing age who don’t want to bear children.
I agree that women who are pregnant shouldn’t drink, when I had my children I didn’t touch a drop, because I knew it would be harmful to my baby. That was 50 odd years ago. So how come the WHO need to stick there noses in now.
Are they trying to prove how necessary they and their pay cheque are ?

Namsnanny Sat 19-Jun-21 11:02:43

Alegrias1

Good lord, nobody's banning anything. Why do people jump to such ridiculous conclusions?

Read the advice, rather than the inflammatory reporting.

people are getting agitated....
But language used in your post is contributing to everyone's agitation Alegrias1! Surely you see that?

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:07:27

The actual draft actually says that its published/written...can't remember the wording...but withoout cultural or religious bias, but I don't see how it can be because beliefs and biases are ingrained.
Off topic but interesting is that one of the ISA providers who I invest with is looking at giving investors ethical, social and environmental information about its investment funds. I am on their customer panel so they send us drafts of stuff to review and comment on. In the ethical section, there are aspects such as fossil fuel use and renewables use....but also alcohol production....several of us commented that we would rather invest in alcohol production where employees are well treated rather than slave produced clothing...and why no mention of plastic production or globally damaging agricultural practices......

Whatdayisit Sat 19-Jun-21 11:08:30

My first reaction was are we in Saudi Arabia.my second was equally so for men which would mean a lifelong ban for them and a rush for womb removal for women instead of sterilisation.
Health advice is one thing. Obviously excessive drinking of alcohol has health risks on everyone.
Are they doing a paper recommending a complete blanket ban for ever more.

Alcohol ban before posting on social media is another recommendation. My true political feelings are always less restrained after an evening tipple.

katy1950 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:10:24

Here we go again the media are stirring the waters again as if things are bad enough

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:11:59

MarjieM

It’s disgraceful that it’s even under discussion. By what right can they do this. There are plenty of women of child bearing age who don’t want to bear children.
I agree that women who are pregnant shouldn’t drink, when I had my children I didn’t touch a drop, because I knew it would be harmful to my baby. That was 50 odd years ago. So how come the WHO need to stick there noses in now.
Are they trying to prove how necessary they and their pay cheque are ?

Allegria is at least partly right in that the WHO can't "do" anything except produce reports and make recommendations. Back on 2015, they produced a report about red meat and processed meat being a cause of cancer. I don't think that globally it had much effect.

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:13:31

katy1950

Here we go again the media are stirring the waters again as if things are bad enough

But the media in this case are not stirring! The report is out there and apart from "WHO banning" because they can't, the base facts are true.

Aepgirl Sat 19-Jun-21 11:17:30

There’s a big difference between ‘enjoying a drink’ and alcoholism. Sadly the first can be followed by the latter. I would consider it more important that mothers of young children abstain from alcohol for the safety of their child.

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:34:11

I found this on Twitter....can you say "backpedal as fast as you can?"
twitter.com/BBCWomansHour/status/1405536963852070912?s=20

Nannapat1 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:36:33

The WHO draft paper advices the prevention of drinking for both pregnant women and women of childbearing age. It is only advice, and we are well aware of the pregnancy advice, but the inclusion of women of childbearing age reeks of the Handmaid's Tale. WHO can't mandate it but there are a number of countries that would love to.

Whatdayisit Sat 19-Jun-21 11:38:00

Aepgirl

There’s a big difference between ‘enjoying a drink’ and alcoholism. Sadly the first can be followed by the latter. I would consider it more important that mothers of young children abstain from alcohol for the safety of their child.

And fathers surely.

CleoPanda Sat 19-Jun-21 11:38:30

Surely any alcohol is bad for everybody? At least it’s not any good for anybody?
Isn’t educating everyone a good thing?
Of course WHO are not suggesting a ban; they’re suggesting better education and awareness. Isn’t that the right thing to do?
Why is alcohol necessary anyway? I’ve never understood the need!

Bluedaisy Sat 19-Jun-21 11:41:54

I think that’s hysterical to be honest. I don’t drink at all, never have purely because I don’t like the taste of alcohol plus I don’t like not being in control of my own body, but I cannot for the life of me see this happening. I’m more annoyed that literally every day we wake up and someone somewhere has dreamed up new rules and regulations. I’m sick of it, not a day goes by where there’s not something suggested. Some do gooder dreams something new up......women have been having babies for thousands of years.....men have been drinking alcohol for hundreds of years too and so far as I can tell who has it harmed?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:44:04

Some of the newspaper accounts seem fairly misleading, but it does not look as if WHO is attempting to ban women from drinking.

No doubt they realise that this would be impossible.

There is really nothing much new here, as far as I can see. We have been told for years that consumption of alcohol can make it more difficult to conceive and result in babies that are less healthy at birth. The same applies to smoking.

Sperm too is affected by many things, alcohol being one of them.

Obviously, not all women of child-bearing age want children,
those who do probably accept medical advice regarding laying of drink when starting a family.

The broader picture here is that in many countries of the Western world a large percentage of both men and women do tend to drink far more than is good for them.

Preventing alcoholism is in itself a worth-while aim, but not one that can be achieved by scaremongering whether about sterility, impotence, cancer or diabetes being caused in full or partially by too much drink.

Lin663 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:48:34

From my understanding it was nothing to do with having babies…it was about the risks of drinking alcohol at that particular age …increased risks of disease…presumably if it was just as risky for men in that age bracket they would give similar advice for them….and let’s face it folks, advice is just that …you do not have to take it if you don’t want to….smoking causes all sorts of nasty diseases and we are advised not to, but people still do it…

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 11:54:39

Lin663

From my understanding it was nothing to do with having babies…it was about the risks of drinking alcohol at that particular age …increased risks of disease…presumably if it was just as risky for men in that age bracket they would give similar advice for them….and let’s face it folks, advice is just that …you do not have to take it if you don’t want to….smoking causes all sorts of nasty diseases and we are advised not to, but people still do it…

It actually says "women of childbearing age" The link is there and its overt....no mention of men of childbearing age and sperm damage.

2x2joelog Sat 19-Jun-21 11:56:10

I did not drink alcohol whilst pregnant but certainly did both before and after - I'm now 5 1/2 years without alcohol for which I am truly grateful. I found that returning to alcohol after the birth of my two sons gradually built up to the point where I became concerned with my intake - hence kicking it into touch. I think the media encourage drinking by the style of their advertising - associated with having fun- same as they used to do with smoking "cool as a mountain stream" ... now we know that the latter certainly is not cool and I suspect, hopefully, we will learn that alcohol is equally damaging if not more so as it affects relationships and self-esteem when taken to excess. However, I'm not in favour of banning people from drinking - education is the way forward.

2x2joelog Sat 19-Jun-21 11:57:56

An addendum: no ban has been mentioned as far as I can see!

sandelf Sat 19-Jun-21 12:01:19

And I thought it was WHO's job to do things like 'vaccinate the world' - but no, that's for Covax...? While they push social control by covert means.

Treetops05 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:06:51

Absolutely, ban men too. Also, what about women of child bearing age who know they will not have children through choice? Sterilisation before they can go to a pub? Utterly disgusting male orientated suggestion

Bijou Sat 19-Jun-21 12:13:51

In the 1920s My mother was advised by her doctor to have a glass of stout daily and had two healthy children. In 1946 my sister was given Guiness in hospital after giving birth.
Whilst pregnant and after I had my daily glass and at the age of 98 still have my daily Guiness.