Gransnet forums

Health

A F

(38 Posts)
Whiff Sun 29-Aug-21 08:52:18

I was diagnosed with AF yesterday and put on beta blockers and blood thinners. Being referred to the AF clinic.

Is there anybody with AF and do you have any does and don'ts for me also what tests can I expect at the clinic.

I knew something was wrong with my heart. Just glad to have a diagnosis. I am not worried about it . I am 63.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sarnia Tue 21-Sep-21 21:13:23

Whiff

Why I was put on anti reflux tablets 4 years ago was my old GP didn't know if the palpitations caused acid reflux or acid reflux caused palpitations. I was put on Lansoprazole which worked brilliantly no more Acis reflux. But about 4 months ago had to come off it as my sodium and folic acid levels went to low. Had to have folic acid tablets for 3 months.

Then had to rely on Gaviscon. My GP put me on Esomeprazole for a month worked ok but still need Gaviscon every now and then. Decided not to bother having to have anymore tablets

Then was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation. I take Apixaban and Dronedarone and noticed since being on both don't get acid reflux everyday like I used to. If I do Gaviscon soon sorts it out.

I was back and forth to A &E with heart racing luckily after months even after having 24 hr tape which was normal .I was on the machine while it was happening. And got diagnosed. Off to AF clinic this afternoon been going every week since diagnoses this is my 3rd visit. .

It's lovely to finally be diagnosed and get treatment.

Thanks for the update Whiff. Good to know you are getting seen quite quickly in the current climate and things seem to be settling down. I am very impressed you timed an episode whilst you were on the machine. Whenever I have a tape fitted I can guarantee a trouble free 24/48 hours. Keep well.

Whiff Tue 21-Sep-21 12:18:31

Why I was put on anti reflux tablets 4 years ago was my old GP didn't know if the palpitations caused acid reflux or acid reflux caused palpitations. I was put on Lansoprazole which worked brilliantly no more Acis reflux. But about 4 months ago had to come off it as my sodium and folic acid levels went to low. Had to have folic acid tablets for 3 months.

Then had to rely on Gaviscon. My GP put me on Esomeprazole for a month worked ok but still need Gaviscon every now and then. Decided not to bother having to have anymore tablets

Then was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation. I take Apixaban and Dronedarone and noticed since being on both don't get acid reflux everyday like I used to. If I do Gaviscon soon sorts it out.

I was back and forth to A &E with heart racing luckily after months even after having 24 hr tape which was normal .I was on the machine while it was happening. And got diagnosed. Off to AF clinic this afternoon been going every week since diagnoses this is my 3rd visit. .

It's lovely to finally be diagnosed and get treatment.

Farmor15 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:58:08

On another issue related to AF - has anyone else noticed a connection between it and acid reflux? I had a bad episode of reflux a few nights ago just as I was dropping off to sleep. Had to sit up, take Gaviscon etc, but then noticed my heart felt jumpy. I used my KardiaMobile and confirmed I was in AF. As I was wide awake at this stage, I wondered was there any connection with the acid reflux (GERD). Googled, and found that recent studies had shown higher incidence of AF with people with GERD. The reasons aren't clear, but may have something to do with proximity of oesphagus and atrium of heart and the nerves in the area.

After that I managed to fall asleep again and heart was back to normal in the morning. However, I'll be more careful about what I eat in the evening - normally am, but someone dropped by with a nice chocolate cake and I ate a piece about 9 pm - bad idea!

Farmor15 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:48:13

I second elasticatedslacks recommendation of the KardiaMobile gadget. When I thought I had AF (paroxysmal, or intermittent), and went to GP, he suggested buying it. The next time I felt a bit funny and thought it might be AF (pulse felt very strange and jumpy) Kardia confirmed "possible atrial fibrillation" and I was able to e-mail trace to GP. When I had appointment with cardiologist, GP had sent him on my readings so he was able to prescribe the appropriate medication (beta blocker and anti-coagulant). When I had proper ECG, of course it was normal, as in between episodes of AF, my heartrate and rhythm is normal. If I hadn't had the KardiaMobile, it would probably have taken much longer to be diagnosed as my AF episodes only last a few hours at a time and might have stopped before getting to hospital. Also saved all the problems of getting to hospital etc.

PS - I don't have any vested interest in promoting the gadget!

Aldom Tue 21-Sep-21 09:53:33

Travelsafar Good to hear you're improving. flowers

travelsafar Tue 21-Sep-21 09:27:58

I spoke with cardio consulant on Thursday and he is sending me a form to complete to have an ECG and dependant on the results i may have to have the electric shock procedure to put my heart beat back into rhythmn.
My gp also rang me and told me to stay on higher dose of Bisoprolol. Thankfully heart rate is now back to normal rate of between 58 and 62 beats per min after doubling dose for just over a week now. The horrible shaky faint feeling has also gone.

Puzzled Sat 11-Sep-21 17:28:57

OH has AF, and Angina.
First batch of beta blockers reduced pulse until seeing stars, half dose then OK.
Clopidogrel seems to be a good medicine, but we sense a reluctance to prescribe it (Once crossed it off the prescription list!). But at times they still think that the angina, despite an ECG showing a mild heart attack, that much of the time it is indigestion!
Sometimes, I despair of diagnostic abilities!.

PinkCakes Sat 11-Sep-21 15:36:20

I had Covid and Pneumonia in July, was on a ventilator for 2 weeks. When I woke up, it turned out I'd had a bilateral (affecting both sides) stroke. I'm almost fully recovered, but I'm on a few tablets now. The consultant thinks I've got AF, got to have a 24-hour tape recorder thing in a couple of weeks.

I'm on Bisoprolol, 2.5mg, Clopidogrel (anticoagulant), Lercanidipine for BP - I was taken off Amlodipine as my feet and legs were so swollen. I'm also on a statin, although my cholesterol is, and has always been 3.2

I've found all this quite frightening, so I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in having AF. I'm 62

elasticatedslacks Sat 11-Sep-21 14:38:16

I definitely recommend getting a Kardia machine and this was recommended by my cardiologist. They cost about £99. They are the thickness of an After 8 mint about about the size of 3 stamps in a row. They are used in conjunction with an ap on your phone. You put 2 fingers from each hand on the slightly raised pad area. In 30 seconds they take a portable ECG reading which you can then send to doctor/cardiologist if it says you are in middle of AF - it also takes your pulse reading. Very reassuring to have and very informative for your cardiologist as you can take the measurement at the time you are feeling ill and just send the reading to him/her by email.

Susie42 Sat 11-Sep-21 13:41:33

I was diagnosed in 2014 after chemotherapy and have been on Warfarin since then and I self test which takes a lot of the hassle away of having to attend the clinic regularly. I bought the machine and the test strips are available on prescription. My AF does not bother me at all as I don't know whether I am having an episode or not.

Visgir1 Sat 11-Sep-21 13:26:56

travelsafar

I developed this whilst having covid 19. Have been on bisoprolol and apixaban eversince. Now suddenly my heart rate has shot up to over a 100 beats per minute. My gp has told me to increase bisoprolol which i did this morning so am hoping it deals with it. I think it is another tablet she prescribe a month ago which has caused it as nothing significant has happened to cause it.... nothing stress related that is. I feel fragile, tired and a bit wobbly at the moment. Have to keep sitting down its horrible!!!

I too recently went into AF, completely out of the blue. .
I felt absolutely dreadful, HR went very high I too felt wobbly, and kept thinking I was going to faint.
Anyway that was 3 weeks ago.
My Heart rate was still not controlled, with original meds I'm SOB climbing the stairs no energy. The wobbly bit is, your Heart rate can not support your BP. Mine was up and down too.
I spoke to my Cardiologist, (I work in Cardiology so I'm very lucky)
He doubled my Beta blocker, so morning and night, plus I'm on Apixaban same day and night, he told me that they could add another medication (Digoxin) but I am booked in for a Cardioversion in 10 days. As I have a structurally normal heart, we are all hoping it will revert back?
I hope the additional meds work, but if not get back ASAP to your GP.
Feel for you flowers

travelsafar Sat 11-Sep-21 10:34:19

I developed this whilst having covid 19. Have been on bisoprolol and apixaban eversince. Now suddenly my heart rate has shot up to over a 100 beats per minute. My gp has told me to increase bisoprolol which i did this morning so am hoping it deals with it. I think it is another tablet she prescribe a month ago which has caused it as nothing significant has happened to cause it.... nothing stress related that is. I feel fragile, tired and a bit wobbly at the moment. Have to keep sitting down its horrible!!!

Whiff Fri 03-Sep-21 08:55:45

Went to the AF clinic yesterday. AF nurse was wonderful. I have Paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation. Because the beta blockers lower my heart down to much. Told to stop taking Amlodipine as that could be causing my lower legs to swell. On Apixaban for life. And been put on Dronedarone to help with my heart rhythm. Answered all my questions. Had ECG and listen to my heart. Told what to do next time I have an episode and only need to go too the hospital if I feel unwell. Back at clinic next week for blood tests and ECG.

Reading all your info and speaking to the nurse had put my mind at rest. And know I can live the life I want. It's just another blip in the road of life.

Thank you all for your replies ???

Whiff Wed 01-Sep-21 08:45:49

Interesting reading all your posts. Had to stop beta blockers my heart beat went to low ,gave me diarrhoea and my lower legs and ankle swollen. Spoke to my GP yesterday afternoon not happy with blood test results. Wants to see me this morning. Says I need Cardio as well as AF clinics. Know more when I have seen him.

SpringyChicken Tue 31-Aug-21 17:12:26

My husband has it too but it's controlled with blood pressure tablets and blood thinner. He used to take warfarin but it's a nuisance having the frequent blood tests and varied doses. He persuaded the doctor to let him switch to apixaban when we were going on holiday and he wouldn't be able to have a blood test whilst away. Luckily, the doctor let him stay on apixaban. It's so much easier than taking warfarin.

elasticatedslacks Tue 31-Aug-21 17:01:20

I have paroxysmal AF - mine was so bad I was almost unable to breathe - I certainly noticed it! It came with a desperate desire to poo (explosive) and wee. I was immediately into panic mode and felt the end was nigh - from a usual very low pulse rate in the mid 50s I ricocheted up to 140 and above. It didn't help knowing there is an increased risk of stroke if you suffer from AF. I had a very successful ablation in 2012 under anaesthetic but still take apixaban blood thinners twice a day, rosuvastatin,(cholesterol) and irbesartan (for blood pressure control). Apixaban doesnt require any constant checking as does warfarin. I am now on 'Pill in the pocket' which means taking a flecanaide as and when - these give me cracking headaches so luckily not generally necessary. I did very unusually have an AF episode at the beginning of the month as was under a lot of stress at that time - always adult children related! I can literally feel the stress coursing up through my body like a cartoon character! I was prescribed beta blockers by my original cardiologist which did not agree with me at all - I slowed down to a virtual stop as my pulse rate already pretty low.

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Aug-21 11:15:09

LuckygirlI couldn't get on with Bisoprolol so I am now on Solalol. The only drawback is that I have to cut the tiny tablets in half and take one in the morning and one in the evening.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Aug-21 11:10:28

I too have PAF (paroxysmal AF) and have done for many years. Mine started after hip replacement surgery.

I take riveroxaban and propranalol, which is not the most effective cardiac beta blocker, but bisoprolol makes me very depressed.

I asked whether I could stop the riveroxaban as the AF happens so rarely, but was told that this increases the risk of stroke when it does happen so that it was even more important that I should continue taking it.

My current drug regime seems to keep it under control thankfully.

When I do have a bout of AF it is often possible to abort it by various tricks:
- cough deeply and into the chest.
- splash cold water into the face
- perform the actions that you would do if you were delivering a 20 pound baby or a large constipated stool!

All these act on the vagus nerve; I have successfully aborted attacks by these means.

I have a wrist band that indicates that I am on riveroxaban, the blood thinner.

From my experience medics look at both the rate and the rhythm - if the rhythm is amiss they do not seem to worry too much; but if the rate (speed) is also high then they ask to see you.

It barely impinges on my life at all OP so I am sure all will be well with you.

Whiff Mon 30-Aug-21 10:59:30

Sarnia thank you for your advice. Already got my list written. So far the tablets I am on are giving me no side effects.

I had a 24hr tape a month ago it showed nothing because I didn't have the same symptoms. The nurse I am seeing told me I would have an ECG.

Thank you for the forum names I will look at them. British heart Foundation is where I found there is a link to heart failure and kidney infections. Which I have been having recurring ones since September. Had 16 courses of antibiotics. But touch wood haven't had one since May. But my urine output is lower than normal. That's one of my questions. My ankles and lower legs have been swelling within hours of getting up for the last 2 weeks.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Sarnia Mon 30-Aug-21 09:39:46

I was diagnosed over 30 years ago with Paroxysmal AF and over those years I have seen many different cardiologists, all with their own favourite drugs, so I have had a cocktail of them over the years. My advice to you would be this. At your first AF appointment have a list of questions and concerns written down to ask the medic. No question is stupid if it is a worry. You may have a 24 or 48 hour tape fitted that would give the doctors a good overall view of how your heart is behaving, especially during sleep. An ECG is routinely done at the clinic I attend, so expect for that to be done. Don't be afraid to say if any beta blockers make you feel unwell or you are experiencing unusual symptoms. There is a multitude of medication out there for heart conditions, so the likelihood of being prescribed the right one for you at the start of your AF journey is slim. There are 2 excellent forums called Health Unlocked and Arrhythmia Alliance where fellow sufferers have some very good advice. Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a cardiologist from York has a lot of short videos on You Tube covering all aspects of heart problems. I strongly recommend these for his common sense attitude to what can be a scary complaint. The British Heart Foundation have a very good magazine available to you, as well. As a fellow sufferer I wish you well.

Whiff Sun 29-Aug-21 20:33:19

Had a call today from the AF nurse have an appointment to see him on Thursday morning. The Dr at the hospital only sent the referral yesterday while I was still there. That's what I call excellent health care.

Dragonfly I have had an echo which was followed up by a bubble echo. It found out last year I was born with a heart defect. I am 63 . I had to laugh I have had 5 general anaesthesia. The last operation lasted over 4 hours and needed 4 bags of blood all with a dodgy heart.

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Aug-21 15:58:28

I was diagnosed with AF a few weeks ago when I was particularly stressed. I am on beta blockers and anticoagulants. I have an echocardiagram booked for next month.

Whiff Sun 29-Aug-21 15:46:25

Thank you all for your replies and reassurance. I have been having problems for some time but everytime I had an ECG it was normal same with 24 hr heart tape. Yesterday morning it was so bad that when they did the ECG my heart beat was 198. It was such a relief to know there was something wrong.

I am on Apixaban 5mg twice a day and Bisoprolol 2.5mg once a day. I feel happier now I am on the tablets.

I don't make a worry about things because worrying doesn't make any difference.

I rested yesterday but did hour and half in the garden this morning. I go to an exercise class for active aging on a Wednesday afternoon. Plus have lost 7st over 4 years and have only stone and half to go if it takes me another year so be it. I want to get to 11st.

Thank you all again. ?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 29-Aug-21 13:29:22

SIL has it, she was only diagnosed in January. She thought that her symptoms were stress and is in her mid seventies, she feels better after taking the meds, but it’s taking her a long time to get her confidence back, she’s afraid that she will have a ‘turn’ whilst she is out, as her DH isn’t able to drive any longer they spend a lot of time at home pottering in the garden.
I’m sure she will get better, but her next appointment isn’t until December, they say they want to make sure the pills are working. So almost a year between appointments.

welbeck Sun 29-Aug-21 13:27:08

the person i know can never remember what it's called, so most HCPs assume it's warfarin that she takes.
to help her i tell her, it's not the river thames, it's rivaroxaban.
she only has to mention some river, and they know.