Gransnet forums

Health

Haven’t slept properly for weeks now

(68 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 25-Sep-21 10:17:21

Haven’t slept properly for weeks now and it is getting so debilitating. I am so tired when I go to bed but it takes me between 1 1/2 and two hours to actually fall asleep then I am invariably out two or three times a night to go to the lavatory. This morning I actually feel hung over and it is really starting to get me down now. I do have sleeping tablets but I use them very occasionally because being a recovering alcoholic I could easily get addicted to them and also after you use them for a few days they don’t work anyway. Any suggestions Gratefully received…. I am going to try and get a couple of hours on the sofa now

Lizzie72 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:14:12

Good luck! I sympathise

Shinamae Fri 01-Oct-21 10:12:44

Lizzie72

Melatonin does not mix well with some prescription meds - a friend of mine was told by her doctor not to use it, as she takes BP meds

I will of course discuss with my doctor but the only medication I take is omaprozal (?) I do take a vitamin D supplement a multivitamin,magnesium supplement and vitamin B12…

Lizzie72 Fri 01-Oct-21 10:04:58

Melatonin does not mix well with some prescription meds - a friend of mine was told by her doctor not to use it, as she takes BP meds

Shinamae Fri 01-Oct-21 09:59:25

nanna8

Shinamae

nanna8

They just took it off the prescription list here because it is not considered harmful. You have to be over the age of 55 to get it and it is chemist only so you can’t get it in supermarkets etc. My chemist said the first day they took it off prescription she had queues going out of the door ! It is fairly mild and you don’t get a hangover that you sometimes get with sleeping pills. It helps you get to sleep but it won’t put you asleep for the whole night.

Nanna8 are you in England?

No I’m in Australia and they are usually super fussy about what can be sold without a prescription . Panadeine is off the agenda, for example but they say melatonin is fairly harmless. Airline staff used to take it to deal with time zones.

Okay Nanna8,thank you..?

nanna8 Fri 01-Oct-21 09:55:28

Shinamae

nanna8

They just took it off the prescription list here because it is not considered harmful. You have to be over the age of 55 to get it and it is chemist only so you can’t get it in supermarkets etc. My chemist said the first day they took it off prescription she had queues going out of the door ! It is fairly mild and you don’t get a hangover that you sometimes get with sleeping pills. It helps you get to sleep but it won’t put you asleep for the whole night.

No I’m in Australia and they are usually super fussy about what can be sold without a prescription . Panadeine is off the agenda, for example but they say melatonin is fairly harmless. Airline staff used to take it to deal with time zones.

Lizzie72 Fri 01-Oct-21 09:26:23

Solgar are a good brand and this site has Melatonin at a reasonable price -
bargainshopuk.co.uk/solgar-5-htp-l-5-hydroxytryptophan-complex-vegetable-capsules-pack-of-90/

You can buy it for about half that price, but I always feel it’s worth paying for good quality supplements?

I sleep badly too, and have tried Melatonin - as others say, it helps you get to sleep, but doesn’t ensure a good length of sleep.

JaneJudge Fri 01-Oct-21 09:23:32

Esspee

JaneJudge

Try to get your GP to prescribe melatonin (it is called circadin) you only have to take it for a couple of weeks to get back into routine, I find flowers and it isn't a drug as such

Nooooo! Melatonin is a hormone and is only available on prescription in the U.K. because it can interact with other medication.
Always consult a doctor before taking it.

Esspee, I did say try to get your GP to prescribe it confused

Shinamae Fri 01-Oct-21 09:16:10

nanna8

nanna8 Fri 01-Oct-21 02:07:23

Esspee Thu 30-Sep-21 22:56:25

JaneJudge

Try to get your GP to prescribe melatonin (it is called circadin) you only have to take it for a couple of weeks to get back into routine, I find flowers and it isn't a drug as such

Nooooo! Melatonin is a hormone and is only available on prescription in the U.K. because it can interact with other medication.
Always consult a doctor before taking it.

Candelle Thu 30-Sep-21 22:28:12

I'm in your club, too!

I don't want to use sleeping tablets (I tried one when in hospital before having my first baby but just lay awake all night, dropping off to sleep just as everyone else was waking up, not the right idea at all!).

I do admit that on some nights, in desperation, using Piriton antihistamine tablets. These make me sleepy about 20 minutes after ingestion.

I tried the Sleepio CBT course but it didn't work for me. I struggled with the bit where one has to rise very very early, no matter how much sleep, so it's probably my fault and not that of the course. It could work for others.

I have heard that Melatonin works but of course it is not available otc here. I may ask next time I see or speak to my GP.

Thanks everyone for the advice given, I will try some of the other suggestions.

As an afterthought... I remember being in infant school and going into the school hall for a nap. Forty little canvas beds were ready for us and I watched as every child quickly fell asleep, leaving me wide awake. I then remember being rudely shaken awake by a teacher as I had fallen asleep just before 'wake-up' time. My point is that even aged four, I was already having problems with sleep!

GrandmaRosie Thu 30-Sep-21 19:12:33

Not sleeping is horrible. I had the same problem a few years ago - menopausal wakefulness I think it was called. Anyway, started on HRT and have slept well ever since, even though only taking the HRT for a couple of years. Broke the cycle I guess. Hope you find an answer.

nadateturbe Thu 30-Sep-21 18:59:32

Painkillers help me to sleep too, Shinamae, but as you say you can't use them every time. I'm fed up being awake most of the night. Going to look at ASMR myself. (Although I'll be taking paracetamol tonight as I have ear infection.)
I hope you have a good night.

JaneJudge Thu 30-Sep-21 11:04:04

Yes, it's worth a try smile

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 10:59:21

JaneJudge

Yes I did ring the doctor and I have got a call next Wednesday so hopefully they will prescribe it, I would rather be on that then zopiclone

JaneJudge Thu 30-Sep-21 10:56:34

Early Thu 30-Sep-21 10:49:05

Ashcombe

My DH has used ASMR You Tube clips for several years and finds them very effective. He has a few favourite contributors to whom he returns regularly. They involve mundane tasks such as a receptionist's conversation or a lady sorting out a considerable collection of nail varnish bottles. The same person posts regularly and within a week a new video from her may well gather half a million views, according to You Tube statistics!

Is that GentleWhispering, Ashcombe? I don't like all of her uploads but her voice and some of the crinkle sounds have me asleep in minutes. I also like WhispersRed and TheWaterWhispers (who no longer uploads anything) but her old Zentangle videos are very relaxing to listen to.

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 10:43:22

I didn’t actually use it last night because I had to take codeine for my aching legs and that always makes me dozy but I can’t take that every night so I will probably try that tonight. Thanks for asking??

nadateturbe Thu 30-Sep-21 10:35:39

How did it go Shinamae

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 15:40:32

Okay, this is the one I’m going to try tonight, fingers crossed ?

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 15:37:28

Ashcombe

My DH has used ASMR You Tube clips for several years and finds them very effective. He has a few favourite contributors to whom he returns regularly. They involve mundane tasks such as a receptionist's conversation or a lady sorting out a considerable collection of nail varnish bottles. The same person posts regularly and within a week a new video from her may well gather half a million views, according to You Tube statistics!

Think I would try this,thank you so much… I really need to do something I’m getting quite desperate now

Ashcombe Wed 29-Sep-21 08:17:06

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:58:06

Greenfinch

I believe she is in Australia .

Ahhhh that explains it then, thank you greenfinch ?

Greenfinch Wed 29-Sep-21 07:32:17

I believe she is in Australia .

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:25:27

nanna8

I’m another insomniac and it gets boring not being able to sleep when everyone else is snoring away. I find it goes in cycles - a few bad nights then a better one. I haven’t slept through the night for many years but I just accept that now. I have found anti histamines are good which I sometimes have to take anyway for hay fever. Also melatonin tablets help you actually fall asleep but they are expensive here. You don’t need a prescription for them and my doctor tells me they are better than sleeping tablets from a health point of view.

Are you in UK nanna8?