Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Vaccinations

(55 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 08-Oct-21 17:19:06

I was due to have my flu jab this morning; all went well. I was surprised by the news programmes when I woke up this morning, though. They were saying that today was the first day of the rollout for the Flu Vaccines. I was sure I had read some people mention that they had already had theirs.

Where are you all with yours? Booked, already jabbed or haven't heard anything?

Nannatwiglet Tue 19-Oct-21 13:23:51

Further to my post of Sat 16th Oct when our surgery made a mistake reporting we had had our flu vaccines…but we hadn’t!….we are still waiting to be booked in to have our flu jabs with the chemist.
Hopefully she can fit us in some time in November, since my husband must “wait a week at least after he had his booster Covid jab yesterday……!”

Blossoming Sun 17-Oct-21 00:33:19

Esspee that’s shocking! I’m sure many people would be caught out.

Blossoming Sun 17-Oct-21 00:31:29

Had mine at GP surgery on Wednesday.

Esspee Sat 16-Oct-21 23:46:19

Esspee

PippaZ thank you for starting this thread. It made me realise I could just book with a pharmacy for our flu jab (which is now on Friday) so when we are asked in for our COVID booster we won’t need a flu jab at the same time. Problem solved. ?

I am mortified. We attended our appointment, were asked our ages before seeing the pharmacist. I went first gave all the required details got the jab and thanked the pharmacist. OH followed, having thanked the pharmacist we called out our thanks to the staff who were dealing with a delivery and left.
The pharmacist must have rushed after us as we were only about 4 metres away when he called out from the door that we hadn’t paid. Now I know we don’t look our age but jabs are free for the over 50’s so we returned bewildered. Apparently in Scotland pharmacies only do the jabs privately. We paid and left highly embarrassed.
The Lloyds pharmacy website states in bold that flu jabs are offered free in their pharmacies (funded by the NHS) and much later down the page it mentions this applies only to England and Wales. At no point was it mentioned to us that there would be a charge.
I hope telling you this will prevent similar embarrassment for other Scottish grans. That’s £30 we won’t see again!

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:32:51

My GP surgery is always very slow so I had my flu jab about 2 weeks ago at the local pharmacy- no reaction whatsoever. My booster vaccine was yesterday and to date no problems. Maybe I am just lucky, I do not know but I never have pain or any reaction from any jab. I do make sure that there is a week or two between. I do not want eg booster and flu jab together. I am sorted for another year.

Ashcombe Sat 16-Oct-21 18:26:19

Having received a text from my surgery asking me to ring and book, I had mine two weeks ago at the same large centre where Covid vacciations were offered earlier this year. As before, it was very well organised with the only side effect being a mildly stiff arm the following day.

Nannatwiglet Sat 16-Oct-21 18:01:32

We are both 74 and booked over a month ago to have our flu jabs at our chemist last Week. However, the chemist was unable to give them as her computer said we both had already had them last month!
Not true…The chemist had only just had the vaccines in and we never go to the surgery for vaccinations.
She said she’d had to refer back to our surgery for information.

We received a phone call the next day from our surgery to say “go ahead with the flu jab” but nothing was mentioned to the chemist. Our chemist is still waiting for the surgery to contact her about this error…and we are still waiting for our flu jabs!

PaperMonster Mon 11-Oct-21 18:54:38

I’m 52 and had mine at the GPs’ surgery two weeks ago.

Esspee Mon 11-Oct-21 13:27:16

PippaZ thank you for starting this thread. It made me realise I could just book with a pharmacy for our flu jab (which is now on Friday) so when we are asked in for our COVID booster we won’t need a flu jab at the same time. Problem solved. ?

Patsy70 Mon 11-Oct-21 12:17:30

We had ours on Saturday, following a text message from the surgery a couple of weeks ago. That evening, I developed a sore throat which has developed into usual cold symptoms! Haven’t had one for two years! ?

PinkCakes Sun 10-Oct-21 09:27:35

I rang my surgery, asked about the flu jab, was told by the receptionist that I wasn't eligible..... I'm 62, have mild Asthma, had Covid in July (on a ventilator for 2 weeks), and had a stroke in July. She asked someone else there - yes, I AM eligible, so I'm booking in for next month

avitorl Sat 09-Oct-21 16:03:34

I had mine Oct.1st and Boots.I was surprised to be told that the Vaccination used is different for over 65s to that used for younger people. The over 65 one is stronger than the other.
I had a sore arm for a few days but no other problems

Callistemon Sat 09-Oct-21 14:29:41

Yes Callistemon, do think the jabs are a little shot in the dark (no pub intended) this year
grin Ouch Franbern!

From the WHO website:

Egg-based Vaccines

an A/Victoria/2570/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus; and
a B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus

Cell- or recombinant-based Vaccines

an A/Wisconsin/588/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus; and
a B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus

Still not sure which it will be

rafichagran Sat 09-Oct-21 13:49:14

I have had my 1st one today, I had a headache before I went and still have one. I have taken paracetamol.

lemongrove Sat 09-Oct-21 13:46:32

Last week, along with the Covid booster vacc. At local GP surgery.

JenniferEccles Sat 09-Oct-21 13:45:33

Because there has been so little flu around anywhere in the world, it’s been very difficult for those producing the vaccine to accurately predict which strains might be prevalent here this year.

It’s still worth having though as even a small amount of protection is better than none.

travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 13:14:46

Had mine this morning at surgery. There were so many people queuing to have it done. Strange how the surgery open was for this and so many people attending but not for anything else. Felt weird being in there again.

Franbern Sat 09-Oct-21 08:33:20

Callistemon

What strains are in the flu vaccines this year?
Does anyone know?

Yes Callistemon, do think the jabs are a little shot in the dark (no pub intended) this year But, anything is better than nothing.
I had mine carried out at GP surgery four weeks ago. They sent invites to all their over-80's to have this then. Covid one this coming week.

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Oct-21 06:54:19

Had mine last Thursday at GP’s after a txt to book a couple of weeks ago. No problem as afterwards, not even a sore arm.

welbeck Sat 09-Oct-21 06:05:50

our GPs do a walk-in clinic for flu jabs, sunday morning 3 week ago. no appts, just turn up, give name and d.o.b., get jabbed.
works well. all queuing outside up the road, in one door, out the other.
unusually did have noticeable red mark, 5p size, and bit sore for over a week. mark fading now. no longer sore.
am hoping to hear about covid booster jab sometime.

Whiff Sat 09-Oct-21 05:53:19

Booked mine online yesterday and having it at my local Boots on Monday. Missed out at my GPs on Tuesday as had a hospital appointment. They hadn't got a date to book next flu jab clinic. So my daughter suggested I tried a pharmacy.

Party4 Sat 09-Oct-21 04:03:15

Asked nurse re flu and covid boosters when I had my regular bloods done mid Sept and was told that the surgery wouldn't be giving covid boosters and at that point didn't know when flu vaccine would be available.Found this quite hard to understand as usually come Sept we would have been invited for flu jab and thought this year even more so,especially for those like myself who have been shielding.
Popped into Boots to make enquiries and they offered both DH and myself flu jab there and then.Explained Covid boosters need to be 6 mths since 2nd covid vax so I would be invited in next day or two and DH in 2 wks.Sure enough received a text inviting me to book.(next Mon)
No ill effects from flu jab other than a red tracking line from inj site to inner arm but no soreness or illness.
Grateful for the care we have received.

Esspee Fri 08-Oct-21 23:23:12

Our local authority (Glasgow) has taken over from doctor’s surgeries this year.
I fear this will mean a delay and it probably being offered at the same time as the covid booster which I would prefer not to do.
(I want both, just not at the same time.)

Chardy Fri 08-Oct-21 23:13:51

NotTooOld

Did anyone get side effects from the flu jab? I had mine a week ago and never normally get side effects but this year I have felt achy all over and very tired. It goes away if I take Ibuprofen. I have been alright today so it has probably passed now, just interested to hear if anyone else was similarly affected?

I compared notes with a friend. I almost never have a reaction, she invariably does have a minor reaction, just enough to remind her she's had a flu jab. The year I did have a (minor) reaction, she didn't!

Chardy Fri 08-Oct-21 23:09:20

Had mine at a local pharmacy a few years ago, walked in, booked for almost next day, had it. Easy peasy.
Eventually got round to popping in this week, please book online as 'it helps with making sure we've the correct amount of vaccine'.
Went online, no appointments for a month. Tried every one of their branches for ten miles, same story, sometimes 5 weeks.
Tried the major chain of chemists in England, same story.
Am very surprised.