Gransnet forums

Health

Bariatric surgery

(7 Posts)
Elisabeth14 Tue 12-Oct-21 08:59:36

My daughter is booked to have a sleeve gastrectomy next month. She has always struggled with weight issues but in the last 2 years her weight has gone up to 22 stone. Some of this is due to steroid treatment for ulcerative colitis.
To say I’m terrified for her would be an understatement. I’m desperately trying to see through to the other side that she will be happy and healthy, maybe even her UC will settle, but I’m struggling.
Has anyone experienced this and would be happy to share??

Elisabeth14 Tue 12-Oct-21 09:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Esspee Tue 12-Oct-21 09:11:59

Elisabeth14. Gransnet is experiencing problems at the moment which explains why your OP is repeated.

I don’t have personal experience of the op but a friend had it done with very successful results.
The doctors would not have recommended it if the benefits didn’t outweigh the possible disadvantages.
She will be fine, don’t worry.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Oct-21 09:19:49

I don’t have personal experience but I remember Anne Diamond having it years ago. The NHS would only do surgery of this kind as a last resort so I imagine your daughter’s life is at risk from being obese. As Espee says, the doctors would have decided the benefits outweigh the risks. Try not to worry and be glad that she is able to have this potentially life-saving surgery.

BigBertha1 Tue 12-Oct-21 09:43:40

I have met several people through work and through a Slimming World who have had this done and it has been a huge success. Yes surgery of all kinds has risks but they have got very practiced at this operation in recent years. I think the surgeon would have weighed those risks against other health risks to you daughters current weight. Useless for me to say try not to worry as you will of course but there are lots of positives for her in this intervention. I wish her well and you well. flowers

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 12-Oct-21 12:10:31

No surgery is without risk, but I would say Bariatric surgery has become an almost everyday type of procedure, much like tonsillectomy / appendectomy etc.

Try not to worry, although I know that’s easy to say. She will benefit greatly, I’m sure.

All the best

Hithere Tue 12-Oct-21 13:40:36

I know several people who went through it.
It was explained to them several times that the operation is a not the solution, it is a tool and a lot of work is mental and psychological: changing your habits, exercising, etc.

Best of luck!