Gransnet forums

Health

Whats actually is in the over 65s flu vaccine?

(98 Posts)
Bea65 Sun 17-Oct-21 12:47:51

Had my first over 65s flu jab yesterday and woken up few times during night with hot sweats and my chest looks sun-tanned this morning. Also a few mad dashes to loo with the 'runs' . Not pleasant I know but just wondered if any other over 65s have experienced these side effects? Would love to know more what actually makes up the over 65s vaccine?

greenlady102 Sat 30-Oct-21 13:19:13

Boyzone

No Greenlady102 I can eat any cake

its a rule of thumb question. If you can eat"normal" cake, it means that you afe very unlikely to react to a vac with egg protein in it.

greenlady102 Sat 30-Oct-21 13:17:00

growstuff

I'm genuinely curious. How does the flu jab strengthen the immune system in any way other than protecting people against some strains of influenza?

"Strengthening the immune system" is generally a money making version of snake oil.

yup this

Hetty58 Sat 30-Oct-21 11:28:56

Bea65, our immune systems simply don't work as well as in younger people (T cells begin to decline in our 30s) so we need the different jab with immune booster.

Feeling ill or off colour for a few days is a very small price to pay - if it keeps us out of hospital this winter (should there be any beds available).

frenchie3 Sat 30-Oct-21 11:23:07

Had mine on Thursday. Only reaction a sore arm, nothing to worry about.

M0nica Sun 24-Oct-21 14:14:17

I am a vaccination junky! Flu, COVID, pneumonia and shingles. I have had them all and will having everything that is going.

It is just regualr medication I avoid if I possibly can.

growstuff Sat 23-Oct-21 19:17:46

I'll ask my own personal "expert" grin. It's interesting and most welcome if true. Maybe that's why I hardly ever have a cold or cough, even though I have a low white blood cell count. Curious now.

PS. I know it's anecdotal, but I have been having flu jabs for years and have never ever had any after effects. I had a pneumonia jab too. I'm sure you've made a wise decision.

M0nica Sat 23-Oct-21 17:50:33

I have no idea growstuff but I heard and read reputable doctors saying this and decided that when COVID was causing so much suffering and death, the least I could do was show my willingness to protect myself by having it, even though I doubted it would of any use as I have never had flu.

growstuff Sat 23-Oct-21 15:02:52

PS. As a diabetic, I've been having flu jabs for years, so they could have something to do with it.

growstuff Sat 23-Oct-21 15:01:51

Kate1949

I've never had flu either, neither has anyone in my family as far as I'm aware.

I've never had flu either, which is almost certainly because I haven't been in contact with infected people rather than any innate good health.

growstuff Sat 23-Oct-21 15:00:13

I'm genuinely curious. How does the flu jab strengthen the immune system in any way other than protecting people against some strains of influenza?

"Strengthening the immune system" is generally a money making version of snake oil.

M0nica Sat 23-Oct-21 13:38:53

Kate1949 ditto. During the Asian flu epidemic of the late 50s, my sister and I were at boarding school, sleeping in open dormitories. People were going down with the flu left, right and centre. DS and I were completely unaffected. In the end the school closed for two weeks and we returned to home on an army base, again every one else around us was catching it, but none of us did.

I read somewhere, probably New Scientist years ag, that half th population handle the flu virus differently, not immune but just a dfferent boldily process. I think this means we get it but do not know we have it because are asymtopic.

I never used to bother with the flu vaccination until I read. last year that the vaccine as well as combatting flu also strengthens your immuns system, and for that reason, and that reason only, I have had the flu jab for the last two years.

Marmight Thu 21-Oct-21 10:54:31

I had the flu jab 4 weeks ago (in Boots). No reaction whatsoever. Same with Covid vacc x2. Fingers crossed for the booster

Kate1949 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:53:06

I've never had flu either, neither has anyone in my family as far as I'm aware.

Bea65 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:47:49

mimiEliza you've never had flu?? You must have a good healthy immune system! I had the flu 2yrs ago despite having had the flu jab and was really unwell with it, ended up having chest infection; all in all sick for 4 weeks+
Sorry you've been unwell having had the jab... hope this flu vaccine protects us all?

Madmother21 Thu 21-Oct-21 10:34:23

Had ours a week ago, no side effects.

mimiEliza Thu 21-Oct-21 09:16:37

I've never had the Flu. I had a Flu vaccine approx.10 years ago whilst working for a healthcare company; 2 colleagues had a stay in hospital, due to adverse side effects. I decided to have a Flu jab last week, alas I was unwell for 5 days with Flu symptoms, body aches, extreme lethargy and headache.

growstuff Thu 21-Oct-21 03:37:22

Callistemon

I think they are only at the trial stage.

They are.

Quichette Thu 21-Oct-21 03:32:08

Although I was quite ill after the 2nd Covid shot, the booster caused minimal side effects for me. I was ill for 2 days after last year's flu shot, but this year's gave me no trouble whatsoever.

Callistemon Wed 20-Oct-21 22:16:46

I think they are only at the trial stage.

AJKW Wed 20-Oct-21 21:53:49

I thought this years flu jab was one of the new MRNA vaccines.

Boyzone Wed 20-Oct-21 20:42:14

No Greenlady102 I can eat any cake

nipsmum Wed 20-Oct-21 19:21:48

I'm 80
, I have had both COVID flu vacs. Absolutely no after effects from either. I've also had the usual yearly flu vac for at least the last 50 years. Had a painful arm once. I was also a nurse trained in infectious diseaes, and apart from the Smallpox vaccine I had little of no reaction to any of the vaccines I needed to be safe doing my work.

Stella14 Wed 20-Oct-21 19:01:00

I often have a few cold like effects following a flu vaccine, but this year, I had none and felt absolutely fine. My husband had it too. He was also fine.

varian Wed 20-Oct-21 18:36:14

How many vaccines have you had over your lifetime?

How many did you have done for your children?

We trust that in this country our medical profession has guided us towards vaccination for good reasons.

We must continue to trust that advice.

pamdixon Wed 20-Oct-21 18:26:03

had mine about 2 weeks ago - no reaction whatsoever! Not even a sore arm. Don't think I've had bad reactions in the past.