Gransnet forums

Health

Booster jab and penicillin allergy

(59 Posts)
Sheena Sun 24-Oct-21 11:43:03

I have my booster jab booked for tomorrow, but seriously worried now.

We had our first two AZ jabs, all fine, but the booster is most likely to be the Pfizer one.

I have heard round and about, and on the radio that some people with allergies have reacted badly to the pfizer jab... so I wonder has anyone here with allergies had that one?

I also have allergies to cephelasporin , anti tetanus. and morphine.

I also have my flu jab booked for Thursday but never had one of those before, and again, have heard some people reacting badly.

I know I sound a wimp, but I am worried.

confused ..... help !!

GrauntyHelen Mon 25-Oct-21 22:29:24

Your allergy to penicillin will have no bearing on the booster or flu jab

FoghornLeghorn Mon 25-Oct-21 22:28:47

Lillian40

I had my booster Friday, my Flue jab the week before, and of course the previous Covid vaccinations. I have none serious allergies, but had no reactions to any of the jabs. Just a sore arm with the booster because the very very young man caught the muscle, but after 2 days it is all fine now.

It’s an intramuscular injection so the needle has to go into the muscle. Having a sore arm doesn’t mean the injection technique was incorrect. A sore arm is a common side effect.

valdali Mon 25-Oct-21 21:06:13

Penicillin G, the old original, still first choice antibiotic for strep throat. Many current first and second line antibiotics are newer penicillins and so it's still really important to say if you think you're allergic to penicillin (although not everyone who thinks they are, actually is). Just clarifying as someone up-thread thought it wasn't used much these days.

GreyKnitter Mon 25-Oct-21 20:56:10

I am allergic to penicillin plus a range of other medications but I had no problem with the Pfizer vaccines or the flu jab. Very slight sore arm and then slept well the night after both of my Covid jabs. I’m having my booster on Wednesday so hope that is as simple. Good luck with yours Sheena.

annodomini Mon 25-Oct-21 20:31:46

I am allergic to penicillin and have had the Pfizer vaccine each time with absolutely no reactions.

Copes283 Mon 25-Oct-21 19:58:47

I'm so glad I read all of your posts - I'm allergic to penicillin and was a bit worried when I started to read. Having read all of them, I have reverted to my usual fairly laid back position again. Flu jabs booked, hubby has had his covid booster (no ill effects at all). I can't have my booster till after 21st November but I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up at the first opportunity!!

glammagran Mon 25-Oct-21 18:32:25

I did forget to say up post my DD is allergic to penicillin, diclofenac (admitted to hospital) and most nuts and a few other foodstuffs.

Grandmama Mon 25-Oct-21 18:24:00

I'm awaiting my booster jab. I'm allergic to penicillin, septrim and brufen and my Pfizer jabs had no ill effect although the second jab caused an itchy lump on the jab site which lasted for a week or so.

Jaffacake2 Mon 25-Oct-21 18:22:41

I suffer from anaphylaxis to several foods and drugs and unfortunately had an anaphylactic shock after the 2nd AZ vaccine. Collapsed at the vaccination hub and was treated with adrenaline and oxygen and ambulance to hospital where I needed more treatment. Prior to the vaccine I had spoken to the staff who thought as I had already had the first vaccine I would be fine with the second.
Now thinking on whether to have a booster. My thinking is that although anaphylaxis is horrendous I can be treated and after a week or so rest eventually feel human again.
However I also suffer from asthma and would not do well if I had severe covid. I have said to my family that I would not want to be on a ventilator .
So big decisions but all about weighing up the potential risks.

JdotJ Mon 25-Oct-21 18:01:53

My understanding is that there is no AZ booster.
It's either Pfizer or Moderna as a booster.

hulahoop Mon 25-Oct-21 17:28:56

Like you montytops I suffered anaphylactic shock and spent several days was told not to have pfzizer when jabs first started but it is ok now and had mine Friday with no problems I do carry an epipen glad I didn't have to use it !!

marymary62 Mon 25-Oct-21 16:57:30

I’m allergic to penicillin and have never had problems with flu jab . Had Astra z and fine, assume they will tell me if booster is a problem but there is no penicillin in it so
I’m sure it’ll be fine ! Tell them about your allergies and as other have said
leave it for them

Puzzled Mon 25-Oct-21 16:38:10

Both my first vaccinations were Pfizer, Booster was Pfizer. No side effects.
OH had two AZ booster last Friday was Pfizer. On Saturday, heavy arm, severe headache, upset tummy. Headache now gone , but tummy still a bit iffy, so not doing usual things, (Church, dog walking etc )
Might be interaction between the two vaccines, or could be a total coincidence.

glammagran Mon 25-Oct-21 16:32:58

Unfortunately, my 28 year old younger daughter had a very bad reaction after her Pfizer jab. She has a flu one each year as she is ‘at risk’ but has had no reactions from these. She had IgA neuropathy, a kidney disease diagnosed in her late teens after a bad bout of swine flu. Apart from a lot of pain her wee often looked like Coca Cola due to blood and protein and she felt terrible. She had high risk pregnancies but actually had no problems with her kidneys. But symptoms returned within a week of Pfizer jab having been absent for some years. They have gone again now though.

mar76 Mon 25-Oct-21 15:54:28

I am allergic to penicillin, had Pfizer jabs - no affects. Due for Booster on Wednesday. Bring it on.

nipsmum Mon 25-Oct-21 15:36:05

I am allergic to Penicillin. I had both Covid Vaccines( AZ) with no I'll effects. I've had flu vacs every year for the past 40 years with no I'll effects. I'm always asked if I'm allergic to Eggs. The answer is no. I am not allergic to Eggs only allergic to Penicillin.

montymops Mon 25-Oct-21 15:10:35

I have had a serious anaphylactic reaction in the past requiring hospitalisation for 5 days and my life was on a 50/50 basis. This reaction was to any medication ending in ‘..azole’ so spoke to a GP - he was very helpful - looked up the components of the Pfizer jab and it does not contain anything like this. I too had the AZ first time round so was a bit worried.

Barrygirl Mon 25-Oct-21 14:21:35

I am allergic to Penicillen and all my jabs were Pfizer with no reaction apart from slightly sore arm at all! It will be fine!

Riggie Mon 25-Oct-21 14:12:02

I was asked about allergies and I'm allergic to penicillin (plus cats and blue cheese and!) and had the Pfizer with no problems.

When I took my son - who is CEV - we told the vaccinator what he was allergic to and it is something with several ingredients, and we don't know which one is the problem, so they went and checked each of the ingredients against the ingredients in the vaccine. Very thorough.

Granny1London Mon 25-Oct-21 14:02:49

Lillian 40 It is an intramuscular injection so is supposed to go into the muscle.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:59:11

I have an allergy to morphine too OP and all of my 3 jabs have been Pfizer, with no ill effects.

Alison333 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:58:13

One of my sons is allergic to penicillin but had no problems with the Pfizer jabs. As other people have said, just make sure the staff know what your allergies are.

Many people are allergic to penicillin so if it was a problem, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Childofthe60s Mon 25-Oct-21 13:55:44

My husband is allergic to penicillin and was fine after the annual flu jab.

icanhandthemback Mon 25-Oct-21 13:09:41

Please don't worry, they will allow you to express your concerns before they give you the jab and will take any complications into account.

Lupatria Mon 25-Oct-21 12:42:24

i am allergic to penecillin and have seasonal hayfever.
i had two a-z covid jabs with no reaction and my booster last werk which was phizer - only a soreish arm and a bit tired for that.
my flu jab was two weeks ago and i had no reaction .... mind you i didn't even feel it go in!