Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis and hip replacements.

(13 Posts)
Nightsky2 Sat 30-Oct-21 13:51:12

Spice101

My advise is to do it sooner rather than later. In my case the hip deteriorated very quickly and would often give way while I was walking. The relief after the op was instant. Yes the recovery took a while but the longer you leave it the harder that will be.
Apart from a few days in hospital you will still be able to give your dog care. It may well be reduced for a while but you will be able to walk, in fact you should walk, and could use a wheely walker to assist in that if necessary.

Spice101…..how bad was your hip before it gave way when walking which sounds very frightening? .
I’m not too bad. The worse pain is when I go to stand up when my back feels very still and painful. By the time I get to the door I’m ok again. I can get in and out of the bath every day.

Nightsky2 Sat 30-Oct-21 13:43:57

Visgir1

Just back from my pre op assignment for Hip replacement and Knee Replacement not sure what will get done first.
Already had other Hip replaced, it will get worse and unbelievably painful so get on that list
I was a Gym attender to keep muscle strength up but now can't get up the stairs to enter the building without pain.
Once done I became instant free.
Good luck.

Visgirl…how long did you have to wait before you had your pre op assignment and have you been given a date for your op?.

Grandma2213 Sat 30-Oct-21 01:22:58

Definitely get on the list as advised by others. Even in the hospital just before the operation the surgeon told me I could change my mind. I was wavering but my son was with me and told me 'don't even think about it' as he'd seen the pain I was in. That operation was the best thing I ever did. I returned to a normal pain free life. Keep up the exercise meanwhile as stronger muscles will help post op.

Spice101 Sat 30-Oct-21 01:18:50

My advise is to do it sooner rather than later. In my case the hip deteriorated very quickly and would often give way while I was walking. The relief after the op was instant. Yes the recovery took a while but the longer you leave it the harder that will be.
Apart from a few days in hospital you will still be able to give your dog care. It may well be reduced for a while but you will be able to walk, in fact you should walk, and could use a wheely walker to assist in that if necessary.

twiglet77 Sat 30-Oct-21 01:05:33

I have early arthritis in one hip and am seeing the orthopaedic consultant in a couple of weeks, but my physio thinks he is more likely to suggest injecting the joint. I don't look forward to that any more than I would look forward to hip surgery, but it is disabling and it can't be good to be taking so many painkillers (alternating prescription - meptazinol - with ibuprofen). I can't drive far as it's too difficult to walk when I have struggled to get out of the car, though I'm glad to still be able to drive at all.

Good luck and when you do eventually have surgery, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Nonogran Fri 29-Oct-21 21:15:46

Your situation sounds manageable so get on the list as by all accounts your op’ will be after your dear dog’s demise.
I’m in a similar situation to you but I can take NSAID (Ibuprofen, sometimes Naproxen) to give me ease. Do you do that?
I need hip and knee replaced & most days can hardly walk very far at all but if list is too long when I get around to a GP appointment I’ve fortunately got something I can sell to pay to go private.
I had my left knee replaced 11 years ago. Great success.

Nightsky2 Fri 29-Oct-21 20:15:10

I expect this is like asking ‘ how long is a piece of string’ as we are all so different. How long between first sigh of symptoms and needing surgery?. It’s nearly a year now since I first noticed pain in my hips and I’m no worse. I don’t sit around so much which helps. The consultant I saw is one of the best and he definitely seemed to think that my hips are pretty bad. He seemed surprised that I wasn’t in more pain?.

I have damaged nerves in my back so I’m not looking forward to lying on my back as I’ve avoided doing that for 16 years and I’ve read that this is how you sleep after hip surgery.
I will get my name added to the hip replacement list on Monday. I heard somewhere that it’s now gone up from 3 years to 4 years so we’ll see.

seacliff Fri 29-Oct-21 18:35:54

I agree, get on the list. They call it The Hip Pathway I think. It can take a total 3 years in this area.

Deedaa Fri 29-Oct-21 18:30:20

Looking at the situation at the moment I doubt you will get an operation any time soon. I would get on the list and wait and see.

Visgir1 Fri 29-Oct-21 18:25:52

Just back from my pre op assignment for Hip replacement and Knee Replacement not sure what will get done first.
Already had other Hip replaced, it will get worse and unbelievably painful so get on that list
I was a Gym attender to keep muscle strength up but now can't get up the stairs to enter the building without pain.
Once done I became instant free.
Good luck.

tanith Fri 29-Oct-21 17:01:48

I too have had two hip-replacement and agree with Juliet27 get on the list now you could be waiting years the way things are and your hips are only going to get worse in time.

Juliet27 Fri 29-Oct-21 15:34:11

I’ve had both hips replaced and just had an X-ray that shows moderate to severe arthritis in my left shoulder.
Unless you are going down the private route I would add your name to the probably long waiting list for hip replacement and in the meantime take the advice of the physio and exercise to build up muscle strength which certainly helps before and after operations.

Nightsky2 Fri 29-Oct-21 15:22:48

During lockdown I was sitting around a lot and noticed that my back felt very stiff and painful. When I stood up it would lock leaving me in a bent over position, just like the old lady in the sign you often see by the side of road near a nursing homes warning you that elderly people might be crossing and to be extra careful.

I saw my gp who said she thought it might be arthritis and an appointment was made for me to have an X-Ray and to see a hip consultant which I did a few weeks ago.
I was very upset to be told that I had severe arthritis in both hips and in my back. He suggested that I go along to a keep fit group I’d just joined on the advise of my physio, and to get back in touch with him in a few months time.He told me that I would need to have both my hips replaced and this is where I would like your advice please.

Has anyone else had a similar diagnosis and what did they do?. I intend getting back in touch with my consultant soon but I don’t really want to think about having a hip replacement just yet as I need to look after my elderly dog who is not well and who is my little shadow. He hasn’t been very well. My DH is very capable but the dog needs me around. He won’t go for a walk with DH unless I’m there too. He is 15.6 yrs old.

I am not in a lot of pain, a bit uncomfortable getting in and out of the car and pain when standing up but only when I’ve been sitting down for about 30+ minutes like I’m doing now!. I get around fine and feel fine but anxious about what’s going on inside and about how much time I’ve got before I will need surgery. Should I have a hip replacement sooner rather than later?. What would you do?.