Gransnet forums

Health

Shortage of flu jabs.

(39 Posts)
Framilode Thu 25-Nov-21 20:28:35

I had my flu jab yesterday because I am classed as vulnerable. Our GP's surgery said they had no vaccines and were not sure if any more would be delivered. They had just kept a few back for vulnerable patients.
My husband is 77 and has rung every chemist in our area North Oxfordshire. No one has any vaccines, apparently there is a problem with 'transportation'.
There is now a new covid variant causing concern. This and the lack of flu vaccine is worrying.
Is anyone else having trouble getting vaccinated?

HowVeryDareYou Sat 27-Nov-21 22:23:29

I had the 'flu jab a few weeks ago, and the Pneumonia one at the same time (I had Pneumonia earlier this year and was hospitalised)

Rosalyn69 Sat 27-Nov-21 11:34:11

We had ours at the GP surgery. Just rang up and booked on a Saturday. It was like a conveyor belt. Worked really well. Well done to them - Swansea area.

GrammaH Sat 27-Nov-21 10:55:45

I had one last week at the same time as my covid booster. The staff were just asking everyone if they wanted one! I was on the list to have one at the GPS surgery so I'm eligible but I hadn't heard from them. I suppose people who aren't possibly said yes! Obviously no shortage of the vaccine here in Shropshire.

Sago Sat 27-Nov-21 09:55:31

We never wait for our GP surgery, as soon as they are available our local pharmacy puts a sign up and off we go.
It’s usually mid September.

Daisymae Sat 27-Nov-21 09:52:39

I did book one in Boots then had a text from the GP surgery, they were running flu clinics so there was no shortage earlier here. The nurse asked if I would like the pneumonia one too so I am vaxxed up as much as possible, she was sitting there just waiting for me and I was early. guess there's an issue now as more people are motivated.

Forsythia Sat 27-Nov-21 09:11:20

We both had ours in our local chemist shop at the beginning of October. At that time, Boots and all local independent chemists were offering them.

oodles Sat 27-Nov-21 09:08:06

Well I was in touch with the surgery yesterday and asked while I was asking about flu jabs, well they'd had a clinic yesterday and will be having another next friday. But I'd not been able to see that on the website. So now am booked in for next friday

Framilode Sat 27-Nov-21 06:46:57

We are still having no joy trying to get a vaccine for my husband but the surgery have said they MAY have a delivery on 5th December.
We were away for 7 weeks when the jabs were first offered hence the difficulty now.

Mistyfluff8 Sat 27-Nov-21 05:49:58

Had my flu jab in Boots in Yeovil booked as soon as possible Our local doctors surgery does it in October .It takes care a couple of weeks to work

Paperbackwriter Fri 26-Nov-21 17:36:48

Lizzy60

I don't have it , I don't mix . I've never had actual flu to the best of my knowledge . I'm 60 & fit , will continue on through Winter as before . Avoid mixing in crowded places & shop online is best advice !

Oh Lizzy, you'd know if you'd had flu! I've had it twice and honestly thought I might die. Such a relief to get the flu jab. I recommend the pneumonia one as well. Right now, I'm looking to book for the shingles one as well. Just call me pin-cushion.

Zaseret Fri 26-Nov-21 16:44:16

I had my flu jab at Boots in October. After reading this, I looked at their website and see that due to supply problems they are not making any further appointments in England for over 65s!

kentmaid Fri 26-Nov-21 16:33:01

In October, I asked our GP surgery about flu jabs. “We don’t have any for the over 60s. MIGHT get some in November, but might not.”
I went home to check pharmacies. The one next door to the GP - they share the car park - told me “Yes, we have them. Do you want to come in today?”
I did. As I had my jab, I mentioned the GP surgery’s comment (they could have heard me had I raised my voice a little) and the pharmacist raised her eyebrows adding “It’s bonkers!"

Harmonypuss Fri 26-Nov-21 16:29:36

I won't have a 'problem", not a 'privilege', flipping predictive text and me to lazy to proofread before hitting 'posts.

Harmonypuss Fri 26-Nov-21 16:26:58

Had my covid booster over a month ago and booked the flu jab at the same time for 8 Dec.
I won't have a privilege getting it as I'm over 50 and on the CV list, my GP always makes sure there are enough for those of us who are CV and have it every year, even if we choose to have it late.
I remember being told years ago when I worked for the NHS and a nurse came into our offices in late Nov, that the vaccine only works for about 3 months and with the worst of the flu season usually being Jan and Feb, it's best to have the vaccination later than earlier.
Also, just a quick thinking point.... for those who may have side effects from either the covid or flu jabs, if you have them both at the same time then suffer side effects, apart from a sore arm (each jab done in separate arm) how will you know which vaccine caused the issue? Another reason to consider having them done at least a week apart.

Puzzled Fri 26-Nov-21 16:25:41

After a bad reaction to the first jab, YEARS ago refrained.
This time when I asked, the local pharmacy had just run out. Two weeks ,later, given the opportunity, took it. No adverse reaction. So all's well that ends well.
With Covid around, am a great believer in vaccinations.
A very high percentage of the deaths from Covid are unvaccinated, which must show something.

Nannina Fri 26-Nov-21 13:05:30

I’ve had the flu jab every year for the last 30 years as I have chronic lung disease. In September GP surgery text me with dates of Saturday morning flu clinics and I book. Same happened this year but appointment cancelled day before as no supply, re-booked and again was cancelled for same reason. Eventually got jab at local pharmacy but would have been cancelled if supply hadn’t arrived that morning. Friends have had same issues and say they won’t bother in future.

Petalpop Fri 26-Nov-21 12:57:30

I had mine at Lloyds Pharmacy Sainsburys a few weeks ago. I only booked up there because every time the surgery texted me with a time I should come I was otherwise engaged. A few minutes ago I checked on line and I could go to our local Tesco on Monday morning if I had needed to. It must be local shortages. I don't know where in the country you are OP but we are not in a city but a medium sized town. I hope you get sorted soon.

Mrsdof Fri 26-Nov-21 12:23:11

Been trying to get our flu jabs at the GP’s surgery for the last 2 months. No joy, so tried local pharmacies 3 weeks ago and was told they weren’t getting any more because all the vaccines were going to surgeries. Finally got an appointment at Surgery for next Tuesday. Hopefully it will all go ahead smoothly.

Gabrielle56 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:18:48

Same at my GP , appointment for booster and flu was just booster, so I trotted into Chorley and went to the walk in centre and was sorted within seconds!! Simples! I wish people would stop panicking and making up tales about "shortages" they have absolutely no official knowledge of!

Elvis58 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:18:22

I went to chemist to pick up other halfs perscription a few weeks ago asked if l wanted a flu jab there and then thats in North Yorkshire.

pen50 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:17:28

My GP is normally absolutely crap but astonishingly managed to get the relevant patients on their list flu - and pneumonia - jabbed in September! So after blagging my booster two weeks early at a drop in centre (my knee replacement was scheduled to happen four days before I was strictly eligible) I feel I am well and truly fortified.

Grantanow Fri 26-Nov-21 11:02:35

No problem here in South West! GP organised walk through flu jabs very well.

Purplepixie Fri 26-Nov-21 10:57:06

I had mine done a month back but there was talk of shortages then. I didn’t queue jump or anything - I just acted on the text that they sent me.

highlanddreams Fri 26-Nov-21 10:54:40

We had our flu jabs a few weeks ago, our local surgery is very well organised and they did a walk through appointment system at the village hall it was much better than the fiasco the year before when they did a drive through affair at the fire station no appointment was needed, there were cars queued all around the village & we couldn't get in so we went without. Thankfully this year was perfect& we got them done.
We're getting our covid boosters next week but instead of our lovely GP surgery staff doing them as they did before the NHS highland have decide they will run & staff it, heaven knows why. Our local GP's nurses & local volunteers were brilliant with the first two jabs, friendly safe & efficient . We've always gone together when booked by our surgery but now we've got to go on separate days and can't change the appointments given because they don't answer the phone or email it's so frustrating but at least we're getting them.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 26-Nov-21 10:53:17

Monogram interesting you have had no problem. I am in the far south of Bristol and it took 4 attempts to get mine - the 3 previous, all booked, were cancelled. Those were the GP, Boots, and a pharmacy near the GP. I finally got apparently the last dose available for over 65's at the pharmacy in Asda. Friends of mine of the same age in the surrounding area were also offered the pneumonia jab at the same time without having to ask for it. I did ask the pharmacist in Asda whether they were offering that as well but they seemed not to have heard of this being done. So I agree, it is all very hit and miss, even in areas local to each other.