Gransnet forums

Health

Basal Cell Carcinoma

(8 Posts)
annodomini Sun 28-Nov-21 18:25:24

The dermatologist who diagnosed two BCCs on my face referred me to a plastic surgeon to have them removed. The referral has come through for December 7th, but nobody has told me what to expect. I know there will be local anaesthesia and that small grafts will be applied to the removal sites. Where does the skin for the grafts come from? As I've plenty of experience with dental anaesthetics, I don't expect to find the procedure painful, but should I expect to feel at all woozy afterwards and will I feel like driving myself home - only about 7 miles?
I would be so grateful if someone here who has had the same treatment would tell me about her experience.

NorthowramGran Sun 28-Nov-21 18:40:02

My DH had a large BCC removed from his forehead in September last year. He had a local anaesthetic and the graft was taken from his lower neck, just above the collarbone. He was in the hospital less than 2 hours. Once the anaesthetic wore off he took cocodamol for the discomfort but only needed them for a couple of days. He says the skin graft site was more painful than the BCC. But then again he’s a man with a low pain threshold!

grannyactivist Sun 28-Nov-21 19:26:46

The hospital probably won’t allow you to drive yourself home anno. I felt absolutely fine afterwards and no real pain to speak of. The one on my face healed wonderfully and can’t be seen.

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:01:34

It’s a bit scary isn’t it. I hadn’t realised how fond I was of my nose until I thought I may have lose a chunk.
Luckily I look like I have a dimple on the tip and I didn’t need a graft. He said -“next time”? but it seems OK at the moment.
The surgeon will have to use quite a lot of local anaesthetic and that may make you a bit wobbly. I was fine after mine but still glad DH was there to drive me home.

Good luck.

Franbern Mon 29-Nov-21 08:56:03

Had my first BCC done with plastic surgery (side of nose, close to eye), about 15 years ago. As the hospital I was sent to was a good way from where I live, I stayed overnight beforehand with a friend who did live closer to it. She dropped me at the hospital in the morning. Skin was taken from close to my ear, as they thought it was the best colour match. I was awake during the whole procedure, no pain whatsoever. Had to relax afterwards to ensure that I was okay with local anaesthetic, then telephone my friend who came and drove me back to my home.
Dressing over this was sown into place. Foolishly, when I arrived home I bent down to get cats bowls and wound started to bleed. But soon stopped. As I worked in a hospital I was not permitted to go back to work for the whole week, (fear of infection), which was frustrating as i felt fine.

Once the sewn on dressing was removed (by nurse), and a normal dressing applied, everything was totally fine.

Jabberwok Mon 29-Nov-21 17:13:17

I've had three BCC's, the first two I had removed without any fuss, for the third one I was given cream to put on it which after a certain length of time (can't remember how long) completely removed it. This summer however I had a suspected nodular melanoma! Now that really did frighten me, and the relief when it was found to be benign was overwhelming..

Bea65 Sat 11-Dec-21 13:37:34

Had BCC just under one eye which i had squeezed thinking it was just a recurring white spot and my DD made me see GP who made urgent referral and within 2 weeks saw consultant who said he would take a biopsy and contact me ...he froze side of nose and removed it totally. stating it would be far safer considering where it was. Yes had black eye for few days but was very grateful for this treatment and pleased to add, there has been no issues and just a tiny scar which you can't really see as its been 20+ yrs...hope all goes well for you!

silverlining48 Sat 11-Dec-21 13:40:50

Expect it’s all been done anno, hope it all went well.