Gransnet forums

Health

Transgender people who start hormones as teenagers rather than adults 'have better mental health’

(493 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 12-Jan-22 19:49:33

Transgender people who start their hormones as teenagers have “far better” mental health than if they wait until adulthood, new research says.

Experts have found that transgender people who begin hormone treatment in adolescence had fewer suicidal thoughts, were less likely to experience major mental health disorders and had fewer problems with substance abuse than those who started hormones later in life.

The study, which was led by the Stanford University School of Medicine, gathered data from the largest-ever survey of US transgender adults where 27,715 people responded in 2015.

Researchers found that, as well as fewer mental health concerns when taking the drugs as teenagers, those who took the drugs at any age had better mental health than those who wanted them but had never received them.

Of the people surveyed, 21,598 reported they had received the hormones they wanted. Of these people, 119 began hormones at age 14 or 15; 362 at age 16 and 17 and 12,157 following their 18th birthday.

Some 8,860 people surveyed said they wanted but never received hormone therapy and acted as the control group for the study.

Odds of severe psychological distress were reduced by 222 per cent, 153 per cent and 81 per cent for those who began hormones in early adolescence, late adolescence and adulthood, respectively.

Odds of feeling suicidal in the previous year were 135 per cent lower in those who began hormones in early adolescence, 62 per cent lower in those who began in late adolescence and 21 per cent lower in those who began as adults, compared with the control group.

Dr Jack Turban, lead author on the study and expert in paediatric and adolescent psychiatry at Stanford Medicine, said: “This study is particularly relevant now because many state legislatures are introducing bills that would outlaw this kind of care for transgender youth.

“We are adding to the evidence base that shows why gender-affirming care is beneficial from a mental health perspective.”

In the UK, hormone drugs can only be given to people from the age of 16 who have been on puberty blockers for at least 12 months.

Last September, the UK Court of Appeal overturned a judgment that children under the age of 16 considering gender reassignment were unlikely to be mature enough to give informed consent to be prescribed puberty-blocking drugs.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/transgender-hormones-teenager-mental-health-b1991724.html

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 12:21:43

You would hope VioletSky that all parents would want their child to be happy and support them, but sadly (as I think you know too well) there are always people who don't do that. I do hope the wider community will also help and provide support when it is needed. It isn't the same but it would help.

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 12:15:38

And your recurring mention CS is so obviously meant as a trap. You have used her before, conflating trans issues, race and sex into the case of one very unusual person who is in an unfortunate position because of her biology. Her case is so unusual that it is a case of 'bad cases not making good law', but you have no scruples about dragging her into your attempts to score points.
And there you have complete misrepresentation of the facts.
Caster is not a single case simply the rallying point for a whole range of black women athletes I have chosen to support.
I have posted why I find her treatment unacceptable. Disagree with that by all means but stop trying to attribute to me any other motive than these.
I am an intersectional feminist. I recognise some women are discriminated against more than others. I recognise Caster Semenya as a rallying point for black women athletes. I support them and oppose the discrimination they face. I realise that regulation of women's bodies leads to inequality and intrusion and I oppose that regulation.
I am not scoring points I am simply following the requirements of intersectional feminism and opposing discrimination. Just because it's not my body being examined and regulated doesn't mean it's not my battle. It very much is.

VioletSky Sun 16-Jan-22 12:12:45

trisher we definitely need more support to ensure that mistakes aren't made but I am hopeful that will lessen over time.

The thing that makes me saddest is the parents who are unsupportive, the person inside is still the same even if manner and means of expression change

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 12:07:23

Thanks VioletSky lots of information and research most of it concluding transition is a positive experience. Of course there are exceptions and each is a sad experience for someone, but the majority are happier. What more could anyone want?

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 11:59:52

Did you ask me something I must have missed it. Still it is difficult to keep pace. Doodledog demands answers to certain posts so do you.
No, I don't 'demand' anything. What is the difference between your saying :

Just pretend I'm as stupid and ignorant as you believe Doodledog and post your answer again please. I must have missed it.

and my saying:

I have replied to three of your posts in a row now. Are you planning to engage with my post of 10.08?

Apart from the aggression and hostile, unpleasant tone in yours, that is? As many have said, the nastiness on this thread is not coming form the so-called 'gender critical' posters.

And your recurring mention CS is so obviously meant as a trap. You have used her before, conflating trans issues, race and sex into the case of one very unusual person who is in an unfortunate position because of her biology. Her case is so unusual that it is a case of 'bad cases not making good law', but you have no scruples about dragging her into your attempts to score points.

VioletSky Sun 16-Jan-22 11:34:57

There has actually been a lot of studies into transgender mental health, what a huge wealth of information all in one place

whatweknow.inequality.cornell.edu/topics/lgbt-equality/what-does-the-scholarly-research-say-about-the-well-being-of-transgender-people/

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 11:33:50

Mollygo

Trisher doesn’t answer my posts. Should I consider myself cancelled by her?hmm

Did you ask me something I must have missed it. Still it is difficult to keep pace. Doodledog demands answers to certain posts so do you. Forgive me. I'm not entirely certain why you feel the need to be cancelled, am I supposed to assure you you aren't? There- you aren't. smile

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 11:26:06

janeainsworth

The black woman athlete referred to higher up this thread, Caster Semenya, isn’t a trans woman.
She’s intersex, meaning her physical appearance is female, but her chromosomes are male, XY. That’s why she has high levels of testosterone.
So the question of her competing in women’s sport has nothing to do with racism or transphobia.
It’s a genetic problem.
Surely you knew that, Trisher?

Janeainsworth I've posted several links to the voices of black women athletes if you choose not to listen to them that is entirely up to you. Caster Semenya has lived as a woman. identifies as a woman and competed as a woman until the rules were changed. If she takes a drug she can compete again but she has refused to do so.
It's a woman problem. It's a black problem. It's a regulating women's bodies problem.

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 11:22:08

Galaxy

Those with a dsd have begged not to be dragged into this discussion. Begged. But that's just ignored. And again CS has one of five conditions which stop them from participating in womens sports.

And who decided they couldn't compete Galaxy? These decisions are only taken to regulate women that is the point.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Jan-22 11:20:08

The black woman athlete referred to higher up this thread, Caster Semenya, isn’t a trans woman.
She’s intersex, meaning her physical appearance is female, but her chromosomes are male, XY. That’s why she has high levels of testosterone.
So the question of her competing in women’s sport has nothing to do with racism or transphobia.
It’s a genetic problem.
Surely you knew that, Trisher?

Galaxy Sun 16-Jan-22 11:15:49

Those with a dsd have begged not to be dragged into this discussion. Begged. But that's just ignored. And again CS has one of five conditions which stop them from participating in womens sports.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 11:12:57

I have already said that I sympathise with what must be an awful situation. I do so on a human level, and don’t try to score points by dragging in her race, or use the situation as a basis on which to accuse others of racism.

GagaJo Sun 16-Jan-22 11:12:34

trisher

By the way if you don't understand that the example of Caster Semenya, taken apart from her race, is truly an example of how women's bodies can be exploited, examined and regulated by an organisation, and how dangerous it is to set standards for what is, or isn't, a woman based on dodgy scientific information, how that leads only to discrimination, and the warnings that can be extrapolated from that, should any such standards ever be universally applied, I can only say think about it.

We're back to Sojourner Truth's 'Ain't I a woman' speech, aren't we?

Who gets to define what a woman is? The patriarchy. As is amply demonstrated here.

Mollygo Sun 16-Jan-22 11:10:09

Trisher doesn’t answer my posts. Should I consider myself cancelled by her?hmm

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 11:09:30

By the way if you don't understand that the example of Caster Semenya, taken apart from her race, is truly an example of how women's bodies can be exploited, examined and regulated by an organisation, and how dangerous it is to set standards for what is, or isn't, a woman based on dodgy scientific information, how that leads only to discrimination, and the warnings that can be extrapolated from that, should any such standards ever be universally applied, I can only say think about it.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 11:01:50

trisher

^I have replied to three of your posts in a row now. Are you planning to engage with my post of 10.08?^
Well "no" because it's the usual straw man argument.

With which parts of my post do you disagree?

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 11:01:14

Doodledog

I sympathised with the predicament of someone who has very unusual physiology, which on the one hand gives her the advantage in sport when running against women, but in the other results in the fairness of allowing her to do so coming into question.

Her race is, to my mind, irrelevant. Perhaps you could explain why you drag her race into every post where she is mentioned?

Well it is an issue for black women athletes Doodledog. I've posted many links to articles about it. My intersectional feminism recognises the discrimination faced by black women athletes and yes their race matters. Ignoring it isn't an option for me.
www.aclu.org/news/racial-justice/simone-biles-shacarri-richardson-and-how-the-olympics-failed-black-women/
edition.cnn.com/2021/08/02/sport/misogynoir-black-women-athletes-cmd-spt-intl/index.html
www.salon.com/2021/07/06/shacarri-richardson-black-women-olympics-mis

Galaxy Sun 16-Jan-22 10:54:53

Who is banning transwomen from sport. Sport is or should be segregated by sex. This does not ban people from sport. In the same way not allowing me to play in the under 8s football team does not ban me from sport. The under 8s would all beat me anyway.

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 10:53:55

I have replied to three of your posts in a row now. Are you planning to engage with my post of 10.08?
Well "no" because it's the usual straw man argument.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 10:52:16

I sympathised with the predicament of someone who has very unusual physiology, which on the one hand gives her the advantage in sport when running against women, but in the other results in the fairness of allowing her to do so coming into question.

Her race is, to my mind, irrelevant. Perhaps you could explain why you drag her race into every post where she is mentioned?

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 10:48:52

Doodledog

trisher

Basically I think what many on this thread really want is to see transpeople pushed back into the closet so they can once again pretend they aren't there. The harm this does isn't considered.

Quite the reverse actually. I am perfectly happy with transpeople being full members of society in their adopted personae. I do not, however, agree that they should be assumed to be members of their adopted sex. They are transmembers, which, without diminishing their status in any way, is a different thing.

Really this is so theoretical how would it work in practice is what I want to know. How will you identfy who is trans, will you limit their rights? Can someone really "adopt a personae" isn't that a bit like saying I'm a real person but you aren't?

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 10:47:29

Just pretend I'm as stupid and ignorant as you believe Doodledog and post your answer again please. I must have missed it.
Another attack. This is getting beyond a joke now.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 10:46:12

trisher

If you post "sympathy" for a black woman athlete because you "don't know" about what is happening , you can have your pick racist or ignorant? Why would anyone, but particularly a woman, campaign vigorously to have transwomen banned from sport without looking at the whole picture? Why isn't a black woman athlete worthy of your support, but only qualifies for "sympathy". Honestly if you can't see the racism in that I completely apologise for calling you racist. But black women athletes are fighting for equality is sympathy enough?

If that is a sly dig at me, I do not ‘campaign vigorously’ to have transwomen banned from sport.

Would you please explain the basis for this latest slur?

trisher Sun 16-Jan-22 10:45:18

Doodledog

trisher

Isn't this a question Doodledog
^At present most of the people I know will accept or categorise someone according to their appearance and/or what gender they declare if asked. Transwomen therefore are included in women's facilities and transmen in men's. How do you see that changing if you consider transwomen should not be in women's facilities and how would this be managed?^

‘Most of the people you know’ doesn’t include anyone who believes that sex can’t be changed, though, so it’s hardly representative of society at large.

I have answered this over and over, trisher. It’s like Groundhog Day sometimes.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 10:44:03

trisher

Basically I think what many on this thread really want is to see transpeople pushed back into the closet so they can once again pretend they aren't there. The harm this does isn't considered.

Quite the reverse actually. I am perfectly happy with transpeople being full members of society in their adopted personae. I do not, however, agree that they should be assumed to be members of their adopted sex. They are transmembers, which, without diminishing their status in any way, is a different thing.