Gransnet forums

Health

Blood Pressure Readings

(67 Posts)
AngBrew Fri 21-Jan-22 18:26:39

Hi. Whenever I have to have my blood pressure checked or when I take it at home my heart rate immediately rises and I get really stressed which naturally gives a false reading.

Anyone got any answers to this problem or even have the same problem?

dottiem7 Thu 03-Mar-22 14:04:31

My surgery has a bp machine in the waiting room, if you use the machine when you arrive at the surgery the result is nearly off the scale! Having waited and rested for 10-15 minutes before seeing the nurse bp is then registers far lower on her machine. Absolute waste of money (£3,000) and time.

Kalu Thu 03-Mar-22 13:37:39

Oopsadaisy1

I’m the same, I’m doing a weeks worth of BP readings , take one reading - then 5 mins later do another, after a couple of days you should have calmed down and BP readings should have gone back to whatever is your ‘normal’.
I’m doing it morning and night, but wait for 30 minutes after having a hot drink.

I am at the same stage as you oops Initial reading was over 200bpm.
I sit calmly for 15mins reading a book before taking a reading.

Initially started on 5mg Ramapril, readings still too high. Another 2.5mgs prescribed, 24hr monitor. Blood results all clear this morning but readings are still all over the place. Due to see our Practice Nurse again next week.

crazyH Thu 03-Mar-22 12:46:31

Off to get my BP reader out ….

Elegran Thu 03-Mar-22 12:41:11

At the moment none of us seem to have as much time just talking to our GPs as we would like. I keep hoping that it is a temporary thing and will sort itself out once CoVid retreats into being just another annoyance, but the future is unpredictable.

mamaa Thu 03-Mar-22 12:28:56

Thankyou Elegran and TillyTrotter for taking the time to reply to my post and I appreciate your kind words.
I think I was just taken aback by the fact that from having hardly any interaction with the surgery for years before Covid restricted many from doing so, I'm now about to have an ECG, blood tests etc which came as a shock.
Tbh I thought they'd call me in, we'd discuss diet/lifetstyle, medication etc and then I'd be monitored regularly.
I seemed to have gone from nothing to these tests- and while I'm grateful to have been offered them it has all come as rather surprising considering I have had no discussion with any health professional about my readings and the 'whys and wherefores' of the next appointment apart from the receptionist this morning who booked me in.

TillyTrotter Thu 03-Mar-22 12:07:09

Elegran ‘s advice is what I would have said too mamaa.
I started with one med. for BP at 55 years and another added at about 60.
Like you I was alarmed but when you realise it affects a lot of people in your age group, you gradually will stop feeling so “odd” and alarmed I hope.
I know it’s easy for me to say “don’t worry” and it’s so hard to do. ?

Elegran Thu 03-Mar-22 11:58:38

Don't panic, mamaa It was just "a bit high" You are a worrier, and your BP goes up on sight of a doctor or nurse - they are used to patients like you!

High blood pressure is one of the things that usually respond well to treatment, and there are very few people whose BP doesn't go up as they reach their 50s and 60s. If they find that yours has too, you should be happy that it is now detected and will be treated - that is far better than having it soar undetected!

Even if it stays "a bit high" they are very unlikely to "find" something terrifying that can't be treated. You would be prescribed suitable medication and life-style advice (the usual - don't smoke, watch diet, walk more, worry less) and then checked at intervals.

You would have joined the "elderly" pressurised majority!

mamaa Thu 03-Mar-22 10:28:29

Well, further to my taking my BP readings for 2 weeks- 2nd week much better and closer to normal readings than the first btw- I dropped the diaries into the surgery on Tuesday.
Had a phone call this morning from there to book an appt for an ECG, blood tests, and BP reading in 2 weeks time.
My BP will be sky high by then as I'm already getting anxious about the whole thing-hardly ever been to the drs (apart from the odd sore throat,UTI and usual womens' screenings) in the last 20+ years, so am finding all this quite alarming.
I know its most likely preventative and I should be thankful, but I do worry over what might be found. I'm in my early 60's and have been more anxious about health and my age these past 2 years than ever before. Sorry for the whinge but needed to get my thoughts out.

Josieann Mon 28-Feb-22 21:18:16

Mine could be because of my age Josie.
I'm about 30 years behind you, but mine has been misbehaving since my 20s and gave a few unnecessary scares during pregnancies! I just accept it's unpredictable now.

Maywalk Mon 28-Feb-22 21:08:48

Mine could be because of my age Josie.
I will be 92 in May and started with seizures at the age of 80 and now on Epileptic meds, plus having a pacemaker fitted at the age of 82.

Josieann Mon 28-Feb-22 21:00:43

I think that's what is called labile blood pressure Maywalk. Like mine, it jumps all over the place. I did ask the doctor if it was worse for being so volatile, but he said it was better than being constantly high.

Blossoming Mon 28-Feb-22 20:48:45

I can only say what’s right for me, and it doesn’t really vary over 24 hours as the drugs are taken at intervals.

I’m not normal though grin

I’m not sure why people are getting so upset about having it taken, I’ve had worse medical procedures …

Maywalk Mon 28-Feb-22 20:40:42

What do you term as Normal, Prehypertension and Hypertension blood pressure. ?
Mine can be 180/109 first thing in the morning and then it can drop during the day to 88/44.

nadateturbe Sat 19-Feb-22 15:30:41

NanaPlenty

I’ve found the answer is before the reading is taken spend five minutes sitting doing some deep breathing, in for six, hold for hold for four, out for six or more if you can. It’s amazing what this does.

This is what I do. And not directly after eating.

Pammie1 Sat 19-Feb-22 15:17:31

Yep, it’s called white coat syndrome and the nurse at our surgery does a couple of readings if it seems high.

Doodle Sat 19-Feb-22 15:11:01

DH has white coat hypertension and so takes his BP on his home Omicrom BP monitor. In the paperwork it says to sit for 15 minutes and relax before taking BP. He takes 5 readings over a period of time and takes the average as being the one he reports. He has had astronomical BP before but meds seem to keep under control now.

mamaa Sat 19-Feb-22 14:53:22

Further to my check up- it was a bit high-I’ve been instructed to take my BP twice daily and record for 2 weeks.
Since then every reading I’ve done has gone up as I dread doing it and can feel the panic rising.
I’m of a mind to just stop taking readings and phone the surgery on Monday and tell them why. I was fine before I was ‘invited’ for a check up- wish they hadn’t bothered. Any advice ladies?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 16-Feb-22 06:10:41

I do what elegran does, either read a book or write something, even writing the shopping list takes my mind off of the machine doing it’s thing.
However, I was put on BP pills at the end of last year and they have helped, last week I had to go to hospital for a procedure and my BP was fine, 3 years ago it was so high ( for the same thing) that I had to wait for over an hour ( I read a book) until it came down low enough to have the investigation, although the nurse joked that I was in the right place if I had to be hospitalised as my BP was so high.
So, although the last thing I wanted was tablets they seem to be working with no side effects.

Granmarderby10 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:51:30

Hmmm Frogs
GP surgeries and the staff within them are a postcode lottery + Clinical Commissioning Groups + Covid restrictions = illogical, inconsistent and infuriating

Frogs Tue 15-Feb-22 16:38:31

The GP at my old doctors told me to do her a favour and throw my home BP machine in the bin as she said it was doing me no favours at all. Then I had a 24 hour monitor fitted and my BP readings were really good.
However we’ve now moved and had to change doctors. I recently had a text asking me to send in my current readings. I did this but also told them what the previous GP had said. They completely ignored my request for a 24 hour monitor and asked me to send more readings in, followed by a telephone appt with the pharmacist. I’m now on BP medication. ?.

mamaa Tue 15-Feb-22 15:51:34

Well no surprises as mine was high- when I went this morning (couldn’t go to previous appointment as had been in contact with someone who’d tested positive the day before).
Consequence of this morning is I said I had white coat syndrome, nurse took reading- no preamble or trying to put me at my ease. Now I’ve to take my BP twice a day for 2 weeks and then drop the readings in at reception.
Assume that they’ll then be in touch if it’s still too high. I can feel it going up as I write this shock

CanadianGran Tue 08-Feb-22 18:07:33

If you have a machine at home, settle yourself quietly somewhere and maybe put some nice music on, do some deep slow breaths and look out the window to help relax. Take one reading, then another a few minutes later.

We bought a monitor for home use when DH was going through heart issues, and after his bypass surgery. He is stable now, but I was found to have elevated BP last year, so I take a reading now and then. I'm actually due to go to the doctor tomorrow to renew medication. I will bring my readings to him and he will test while I am there. He usually will turn down the light in the exam room, and give you a few minutes to relax before testing.

jobieP Tue 08-Feb-22 16:40:11

Does anyone think their BP has risen since having AZ vaccines? I had palps two weeks after the first jab and my BP rose. Six days ago I increased to 7.5mg and today it has gone down to 160/83 so, hoping it is now beginning to work.

Elegran Mon 07-Feb-22 15:24:13

When I take my BP at home, I find an interesting book and open it in front of me, and get the cuff onto my arm ready, but before I start it up I read the book for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I look up briefly to press the start button and return to the book while the machine winds itself up to maximum pressure. If I am concentrating on the story, it takes my mind off the instrument of torture attached to my arm, so the reading is reasonable instead of going sky-high.

lindiann Mon 07-Feb-22 14:30:23

The nurse gave me a BP test at the appointment for a smear it rocketed Dr wanted to send me to Hospital.