Gransnet forums

Health

Any dentists in the group? HELP

(13 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 11-May-22 22:04:46

OK, I'm 83 and lucky to have all of my front teeth, (although some missing molars) and also lucky in having an NHS dentist.
My top canine tooth, which was heavily filled, has just broken off at the gumline, and I'm devastated. I'm vain, I know, but the gap looks really witch-like and hideous.
The original owner of the practise retired about 5 years ago and sold it to a group with surgeries dotted all around the area and I was assigned to a pleasant Polish guy who has spent a lot pf time trying to persuade me to have a plate with two missing molars attached. I've refused so far because I can eat perfectly well without and have noted the problems friends have had with partial dentures. He's also pressured me into becoming a private patient.
What other options are available to me to fill the gaping gap on the NHS - is a plate the only option?
If I paid privately - what options would I have then, bearing in mind that we're dealing with an 80 year old who probably has brittle bones?
Could I have a post and a crown?
A bridge?
Even an implant (if I could raise the money)?

I feel ignorant and don't want to make a permanent mistake. Can anyone advise and suggest sensible questions for me to ask? For some reason I don't quite trust this guy - he seems to be trying to make money from me rather than making my teeth last.

Callistemon21 Wed 11-May-22 22:31:54

I'm not a dentist but years ago one of my canines broke off in a similar place because a helpful dentist had removed the nerve years previously, hence the tooth died.
I had a post and a crown fitted.
Now I think you could have an implant but that would be more expensive.

Casdon Wed 11-May-22 22:34:42

I’m not a dentist, but my mum, who is 93 had one of her front teeth break off a few weeks ago, and her dentist is doing her a crown on the NHS, she has a temporary crown in the moment, so age can’t be a barrier.

lilypollen Wed 11-May-22 22:39:08

Without NHS dentists the private practitioners are given a licence to print money and I don't think they always give all the options. We were private patients with a lovely husband and wife practice and they never foisted unreasonable treatment on us. 5 years ago nearing retirement age they decided they couldn't keep up with all the computer and paperwork required and sold the practice. Two forty somethings came in and now the practice, still private, is largely promoting cosmetic dentistry. I had root canal treatment which failed, was offered another treatment but I turned down the further £800 bill and had the tooth out. Then I had a dental emergency, though not in pain and couldn't see my dentist (you have to see the one you are registered with) for 10 days as he was on holiday. Then the crown needed was delayed as he was away again. I am looking for a new practice.

So Exdancer Based on my experience I can't offer any advice.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-May-22 22:39:23

I also have brittle bones at 75 but I have had implants done at the top, private, and a Bridget bottom on the nhs. Implant would cost around £2000 per tooth.

ShropshireMiss Wed 11-May-22 23:10:03

I’m an NHS dental patient. When I lost a tooth and wanted it replaced with an implant they referred me to a private implant clinic they had a link with, so I had the implant privately with this clinic, but kept the NHS dental practice afterwards for everything else.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-May-22 07:56:46

Yes that how I work with my dentist. When I had the bridge done all the work was done on the NHS but I paid for an upgrade on the teeth on the bridge.

ExDancer Thu 12-May-22 09:11:57

I have obtained an emergency NHS appointment tomorrow. The receptionist told me it would cost £39.
However, I see on the NHS website emergencies are classed as Band 1 and cost £23.80
Whats going on? Am I being ripped off or has she mistaken me for a private patient?

Caleo Thu 12-May-22 10:52:54

www.millrisedental.com/blog/does-the-tooth-become-brittle-after-a-root-canal-treatment/

Briefly, the root may be brittle due to previous root canal work i.e. extraction of the nerve and pulp. Discuss best option with dentist .

Caleo Thu 12-May-22 10:54:21

PS as my gums have shrunk I now use denture fixative. This works well and problem is solved.

FannyCornforth Thu 12-May-22 12:09:33

The poster JaneAinsworth was a dentist, I believe.
She used to be a regular, but I haven’t seen her for a while.
A lovely poster. Come back Jane, please!

ExDancer Thu 12-May-22 12:26:59

I feel so ignorant once i'm sitting in that chair as well as vulnerable and very frightened. However, I think I have a better idea of what to expect now, thanks to you lovely peoples experiences.
It seems a post and crown will be the best option but I'll see what she advises when I get there.
The dentist I usually see has left.

ExDancer Fri 13-May-22 16:52:15

A lovely young lady dentist told me I cannot have a post and crown which I thought would be my best option, all she could offer on the NHS was a plate with 1 tooth on it