Gransnet forums

Health

Monkeypox, should we be worried?

(19 Posts)
Doodledog Fri 20-May-22 14:47:28

Charleygirl5

From what I heard on LBC, those infected in this country are either bisexual or homosexual. It would appear the vast majority of us are unlikely to become infected.

That seems to be correlation rather than causation (and confined to gay and bi men), though.

According to Sky News we are not looking at another Covid, but children are more likely to be more seriously affected, so we need to be on our guard.

Charleygirl5 Fri 20-May-22 14:33:44

From what I heard on LBC, those infected in this country are either bisexual or homosexual. It would appear the vast majority of us are unlikely to become infected.

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 13:52:54

Shelagh talking about this now on LBC

henetha Fri 20-May-22 12:33:02

I'm not really worried - yet. It can be treated apparently. I sincerely hope it's contained and just goes away.
hmm

Hetty58 Fri 20-May-22 12:28:18

I'm only a little concerned - as I had the smallpox vaccine. It's a good reason to continue mask wearing though (coughs and sneezes).

'Even without a vaccine, most cases will be mild and clear up on their own within a few weeks.'

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61520228

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 12:12:28

It's fairly mild, apparently, but the name is enough to give anyone the heebie jeebies.

Sago Fri 20-May-22 12:09:39

Since my post earlier this morning it seems the WHO are now concerned
This is breaking news from the Daily Telegraph.

Monkeypox: WHO convenes emergency meeting as UK cases set to 'double'
It comes as the WHO convenes a meeting of monkeypox experts to discuss the worldwide outbreak

Sago Fri 20-May-22 08:34:23

Monkeypox can be spread through towels, bedding, clothing and skin to skin contact.
Like any virus that started in an animal and spread to humans it can mutate.
I think this is potentially very worrying.
I have read that those of us old enough to have received the smallpox vaccine are possibly protected, it’s the younger generation most at risk.

DillytheGardener Fri 20-May-22 08:25:31

Bluebelle, it is actually carried by monkeys and by other animals too.

www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-May-22 08:20:10

Not at our age??.

I think I read that evidence shows that this incident is large sexually transmitted?

Joane123 Fri 20-May-22 08:17:30

Oh goodness I hope not. All that we have been through with Covid is quite enough.

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 08:15:15

You’re right BB
It’s a silly name.

I must admit that I’m slightly worried.
I remember a medical big wig saying that we had a huge pandemic on the cards; and that Covid wasn’t it

GagaJo Fri 20-May-22 08:13:17

Can be spread by sexual contact as well, so I read.

Other than my grandson and his contact with his little buddies at school, I don't think I have any other risk factors. I assume I'm typical for a lot of grandparents.

Katie59 Fri 20-May-22 08:13:02

Monkey pox is spread through close physical contact with an infected person or animal, vaccines are available and death rate is low in the west. It’s very unlikely to spread widely in the UK.

BlueBelle Fri 20-May-22 08:11:00

No not worried in the least
And it doesn’t come from monkeys

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-May-22 08:05:05

I don't know if we should be worried but there is plenty of information on monkeypox out there. I don't think it's conflicting.

H1954 Fri 20-May-22 08:04:31

I watched a news feature on this last evening. Seemingly it is spread by skin to skin contact and judging by the blisters on the infected person I can see why.
No doubt there will be countless theories emerging on how it is spread that contradict this.....yet another reason to remember......HANDS FACE SPACE!

Sparklefizz Fri 20-May-22 08:00:49

I read that vaccines are being stockpiled.

Sago Fri 20-May-22 07:59:43

It seems the cases of monkeypox are spreading here in the UK and also in Spain and Portugal.
Is this something we should be worried about?
It seems very little is being done to prevent the spread or create awareness.
The information seems to be conflicting regarding how it is passed on.