Gransnet forums

Health

Swollen ankles when sitting

(14 Posts)
Caleo Mon 23-May-22 09:55:09

Elevate the feet as often as you can to help drainage .

Serendipity22 Sun 22-May-22 23:05:08

Yes, always elevate feet... x

Dickens Sun 22-May-22 20:47:19

grannyrebel7

It can be kidney problems so I would get it checked out.

... correct.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327473

It can be harmless, but always best to get it checked out.

And Yiayia70 try to get a F2F appointment, so the GP can look at your legs to see if there's any sign of vascular insufficiency.

Luckygirl3 Sun 22-May-22 20:40:05

Mine have been doing that and GP took some bloods just to check no heart failure. All was well.

grannyrebel7 Sun 22-May-22 20:31:05

It can be kidney problems so I would get it checked out.

Yiayia70 Sun 22-May-22 17:43:51

Thank you everyone, I do think it’s poor circulation and I do have a recliner which I agree is a great asset. It’s shoes getting tight is an issue as well, thank goodness for trainers. I just wondered why it’s started all of a sudden. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Daisymae Sun 22-May-22 17:36:36

You do need to discuss this with your doctor. I would make an appointment as soon as you are able.

Charleygirl5 Sun 22-May-22 16:59:10

Some drugs can cause ankle swelling.

buffyfly9 Sun 22-May-22 16:55:53

I'm 77 and mine are dreadful at the end of the day, particularly if I have been gardening. I have a reclining chair with a section that raises my feet. I love it, I live in it if I have to sit down. I was told that if the swelling is equal on both ankles and has disappeared when you get up in the morning then it means poor circulation, a common problem as we get older. The answer is to always, where possible, elevate your legs when sitting down.

Septimia Sun 22-May-22 16:44:14

I haven't suffered from it (yet) but my mum did on long coach trips. If the back of your leg, above the knee, is resting on the seat/chair, that can cause your legs to swell by reducing the circulation. Lifting your feet so that your legs aren't in contact with the seat might help.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 22-May-22 16:25:09

Since I had a stroke last year, mine get swollen, partly due to the BP tablets I take. I sit with my feet up whenever possible, and I wear compression (flight) socks sometimes. I'm 63

Redhead56 Sun 22-May-22 16:19:23

Yes ankles like balloons I bought a reclining chair. It does relieve them keeping them raised up.

Thoro Sun 22-May-22 14:00:26

As it’s started recently I think the best thing to do is discuss with your doctor.

Yiayia70 Sun 22-May-22 13:55:56

I’ve just got into my 70’s and have noticed that when I sit down for a meal or having discussions with friends my ankles have started to swell. It’s never happened before and I do walk a lot specially now I have a dog. Anyone else having this issue ?