Gransnet forums

Health

?‍♀️Hip Replacement #2 ?‍♀️ (Knees Welcome!) ?‍♀️

(1000 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 23-Jun-22 08:38:52

Hello! ?
Welcome to ? 2!

A huge thank you and well done to Silverlining thanks for creating the first thread (which I’ll link to shortly)
It was an amazingly successful thread; which was remarkable considering that most of the time it was invisible! smile

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 12:04:34

Here is the new thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1318643--Hip-Knee-Replacement-3

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 11:48:51

We’ve only got a couple of posts left on this thread.
Shall I start a new one, and post links to the first two hip threads?
Hopefully the new thread will behave itself and appear on the active list more consistently

labradorlinda33 Mon 05-Dec-22 11:30:26

Lovely positive news Grandma sue....smile
I swear by Chia seeds to help with constipation. I mix them with sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sprinkle the mix over my cereal.
I don't have them everyday.

silverlining48 Mon 05-Dec-22 11:20:09

Well done grandma Sue it’s all sounding good. Keep it up and yes I know about ? Having to ) bound Up the stairs. Never knew before new hip that pain killers can cause such a problem.

GrandmasueUK Mon 05-Dec-22 11:03:34

On page 40 now and it was at the top of the health list. I think the icons make it easier to see, thank you.
Well I've been on my meals for a week and I've lost 3 kg. I think that's mainly down to eating so little. The breakfasts are really filling. One of them was a chia seed pudding with fruits of the forest. It was delicious but thankfully I could only manage half. It has a side effect which combats the co-codomol constipation. Oh my goodness, I didn't realise I could move that quickly upstairs. The injection had worked well thankfully. I'm not having any more of the chia seeds! I've cancelled the meals after this week as the dinners contained lots of carrots and that's the one vegetable I really dislike. I actually ended up eating just the chicken and a few of the beans. My partner was finishing each meal as he found them delicious. Last night was a lamb chop which was mainly bone and gristle, not nice at all.
You were right about not overdoing it the first few days as I did suffer for a couple of days, but now I'm pacing myself and am still doing more. It's a lot easier climbing the stairs and getting into the bath for a shower. I used to have to steel myself to take the first step, as I knew it was going to hurt. Now I'm like a gazelle (well more of a telly tubby really).
Although it's cold the sun is shining and I do feel quite optimistic, especially with the weight loss. Onwards and upwards.
Take care hipsters and see you on the next thread! 😘

labradorlinda33 Mon 05-Dec-22 11:02:03

Good luck with your swimming Teacher Anne! You sound very positive about it and it's lovely that you have been chatting to others in the pool . The social side is very important as well as the physical. Take care...

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:41:19

Teacheranne I had both knees replaced, 2012 and 2018. The second was the best. I also live on my own and I have a stairlift so life will be easier in a bungalow.

My main problem was transferring coffee and/or a meal from the kitchen to the living room. My kitchen was tiny when I had the first knee replaced but extended in time for the second. The OT gave me a trolley which I used as a Zimmer frame on wheels when transporting the food. It made a real difference.

silverlining48 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:29:21

Well done with the swimming and yes the bungalow will make a difference too. Exercise will help strengthen the muscles by the knee in preparation for the surgery.
You will have read the difference a new knee of hip makes so keep going .
I am bumping along in a coach in Belgium on the way back from the Christmas markets and as I write this and it’s snowing hard. Settling too. Here’s to a white Christmas maybe. Hope not if I am honest, too slippery for me.

Teacheranne Sun 04-Dec-22 23:52:56

It’s been a while since I posted but I have been reading all the messages particularly those referring to TKR surgery. I took my sister with me to see the orthopaedic consultant and she has now bullied me into going swimming with her every week! Being very overweight, I am trying to reduce my BMI as requested by the consultant and also get more exercise. So, we found a new swimming pool a few miles away which has steps into the main pool rather than the traditional ladders so I’ve had four visits there. I dug out an old swimsuit with a skirt which hides some of the bulges although to be honest, no one takes any notice of what people look like!

I use the slow lane even though I am a competent swimmer as the consultant told me to walk in the water as well as swim. I also found other exercises on line which will strengthen knee muscles and I’ve been dividing my time between swimming and exercising. I’ve met some lovely people there, we often chat while I walk past them and I’m quite enjoying it. But it is a faff getting dressed again, struggling to get bra on while still damp but it’s allowed me to spend time with my sister which is great. She swims about 60 lengths in the fast lane while I potter in the slow lane!

I am exhausted though when I get home and need a nap in the afternoon. My knees ache the next day which I reckon must be good!

I’m planning to see the consultant again in the new year although my diet needs to get back on track, I’ve lapsed recently as the dark nights have set in and I’m going out less! My scales need new batteries so sorting that out is my first objective this week. I might have my first knee dome in the Spring but I’m not sure if I will be ready emotionally, I have major issues to overcome about hospital procedures which hare holding me back.

I’ll need to start thinking about the support I might need post op as I live alone but at least I live in a bungalow which I think will help. I reckon I can’t be in any more pain than I am now post op, I can barely walk more than two steps without being in pain and my tramadol dosage has just been increased to eight tablets four times a day as I now get pains when I try to sleep.

labradorlinda33 Sun 04-Dec-22 20:15:52

Silverlining, I was beginning to wonder if it was the beginning of Plantar Fascitis but I think I have resolved it myself...
The duvet on my bed is really heavy and I noticed that the duvet was pressing down on the top of my feet and they were being bent downwards.
I now make sure that I have no pressure on the top of my feet and the pain has now gone 🤞🤞.
I am very pleased with my progress and have managed to reduce my pain meds and I now use just 1 stick indoors but 2 when I'm outside.
I hope you are all progressing well if you've had surgery and good luck if you are about to have an operation..

Aveline Sun 04-Dec-22 18:42:08

Knee replacement surgery is notoriously painful and far harder to recover from than hip replacement.
I did fly long haul five months after my first knee replacement (which hadn't gone well) and booked extra legroom seats for it.

Charleygirl5 Sun 04-Dec-22 18:07:39

susytish that is a difficult one. I have had both knees replaced and I need my R) hip replaced.

From a purely practical point of view I would suggest the knee first because you will still be able to bend your hip at awkward angles to get eg your socks on.

Some people have very little pain after the knee surgery, I was in a lot of pain for as long as 6 weeks. Normally there is less pain following hip surgery.

It is a difficult one. If you are in a position to be admitted early if there is a cancellation, please tell the consultant's secretary.

Have you scrolled back to see what we all found helpful to purchase to make life easier for you?

silverlining48 Sun 04-Dec-22 16:55:10

Labrador Linda would suggest insoles and wonder if this might be fasciitis. Google and see what you think.

susytish Sun 04-Dec-22 15:33:11

I mentioned before that I am due to have a right hip replacement in August 2023. Having seen the Consultant this week, he thinks I should have the right knee done first, in the next few months.
I am wondering what others experiences are, which way round they had these done.
I was hoping to travel to the US in June/July as am going to be a grandma again.
Wishing I had got on with all this sooner now! But I relied on physio and doing exercises every day at home, then the hip got worse.
Overthinking things maybe!

Charleygirl5 Sun 04-Dec-22 11:29:20

It is a few days since we re-surfaced so I thought I would dredge this out in case anybody wants to join in with our wit and learn from our wisdom.

Sorry labradorlinda I have no answer to your problem.

labradorlinda33 Thu 01-Dec-22 11:09:59

Wow! That's fantastic Silverlining!
I have a new symptom..... underneath my heels, on the soft padded part, is so painful when walking. I'm thinking it maybe something to do with the way I'm walking/ gait etc.
I'm sat hear with my feet on the ice pack.
Take away the heel pain and I would be almost pain free..(touch wood).
Have a good Thursday everyone....x

Aveline Thu 01-Dec-22 07:08:42

11,500 steps!! Well done. And relax...

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 22:57:31

Well my new post above is in with all the old posts and already about to drop off the bottom of Active.
Why am I still surprised?
I did 11.500 steps today. Up and down hills didn’t make things easy, but so very grateful I am able to do it painfree.
Night all.

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 22:43:53

Good idea, or something about pets maybe. Or how about hiding it in a M&H thread. Anything which means we don’t just disappear.
Wonder if the other long-standing threads have the same problem? Soop, Estrangement Support and Black Dog.
We are close to the end of this second thread, so nearly 2,000 posts so far so its obviously been of help to many of us. Though many more never have a chance to see it if it doesn’t get into the Active list. ‘Tis a Mystery.

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 20:46:00

Maybe we should start a new hip and knee thread but put it on the politics forum?! That might keep it bubbling up!

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:14:27

silverlining throughout the thread we have tried to be helpful and supportive so there has been no need for gunfights.

As I have said before, I know my place at the bottom of the pile but it is frustrating if somebody needs help.

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:01:32

Just checked and instead of being at the top of Active we are down towards the end. I have tried to speak to GN but .....nada!

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:57:21

Think that's the first time on here that anything has had to be reported. Well spotted Charleygirl.

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:33:22

Reported

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:25:52

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.