Gransnet forums

Health

GP informed me that have too much Iron in blood

(10 Posts)
Bea65 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:38:02

[PaperMonster] Thank you for your response..I tend to have a bowl of cereal early evening when i don't fancy anything cooked ...so will look into the Haemochromotosis UK website and maybe get a test.

PaperMonster Mon 27-Jun-22 16:46:30

My sibling has haemochromotosis. Has weekly venesection. The symptoms of too much iron can be similar to too little iron. Increases the risk of T2D and liver cancer however. Fortified cereals need to be avoided. The NHS no longer tests to see if you’re a carrier as about 1 in 8 are carriers. However Haemochromotosis UK sell tests - they might have an offer on next month as there’s a haemochromotosis week during July.

Dollygloss Sun 26-Jun-22 13:56:17

Bea you should demand to be tested as avoiding certain food is not enough and there are serious consequences if left untreated. Once venesection has brought your levels down to normal you will be monitored with blood tests during the year. You can eat anything you want after, except perhaps raw sea food. One of my daughters in the UK who was diagnosed elsewhere caused a bit of a flap as her GP wasn't familiar with Haemo but she was sorted eventually.
Welbec once you are tested and found not to have it or be a carrier you won't go on to develope it. It's something you are born with though its often post menopause or when symptoms worsen that you become aware of it.
I'm guessing your levels mustn't be that high yet Bea if your doctor is only recommending diet though I would be insistent on being tested.

Bea65 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:45:52

[Dollygloss] and [welbeck] thats interesting as am from Celtic heritage and didn't know of this fact...

Bea65 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:41:02

[Georgesgran] yes GP told me not to eat spinach (which I love &can eat it straight from the bag ) broccoli , peas etc which i also love. Never touch liver as always hated it when Mom used to cook this every week saying it was 'good for you'
Also love frozen raspberries and they too are on the listsad

welbeck Sun 26-Jun-22 02:11:59

a person whom i know has this conditione . has celtic heritage.
has to have regular blood-letting at hosp.
during pandemic this was suspended, but he pressed for it to resume, which it did, in a separate section of hosp, different entrance.
relatives of his were told to get tested. some have symptoms as described above; wonder if it can develop after testing, does anyone know ?

Dollygloss Sat 25-Jun-22 23:36:15

High iron levels could be because of a genetic condition called Haemochromatosis common enough among Celtic nations. General fatigue and feeling unwell are symptoms. Its important to have the excess iron removed by venesection which is the same as if you were just donating blood. You really need to pursue this with your doctor as the accumulating iron is damaging. A blood test will determine if you have it. Once you get your iron levels down you will feel better.

Georgesgran Sat 25-Jun-22 21:11:26

Has your GP recommended dietary changes? Forget the leafy green vegetables and anything with high levels of iron like liver.

Georgesgran Sat 25-Jun-22 21:09:07

The usual treatment is blood loss - either by donation or venesection. I’m sure several GN posters have it done. Perhaps your GP is hoping tablets do the trick first. Don't actually know how they’d work.

Bea65 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:08:54

Was surprised to know that heavy blood element in -.thought iron in blood was a positive thing..just don't feel well...fatigue etc..have been prescribed Vit D tablets weekly..how does a weekly tablet help?