Gransnet forums

Health

Diet guidelines for T2 diabetes

(10 Posts)
midgey Mon 10-Oct-22 11:03:43

Reported it.

midgey Mon 10-Oct-22 11:01:19

Don’t click on that link, it looks so dodgy!

Gladyceturner Mon 10-Oct-22 10:40:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 22:46:46

I certainly don't think people with diabetes can be cured. I control my diabetes well, but I know that if I were to start eating normally, that my blood glucose levels would rise. I don't even think of myself in remission. It happened at the start of lockdown, when I was a bit complacent about what I ate and didn't exercise as much as normal. I bought some test strips and was horrified.

I don't get myself involved in blame games either. I was diagnosed when I was 35 and I've never been overweight in my life. At first, it was thought I'd developed T1 and I was tested, but it's definitely T2 and it's still a mystery why I developed it.

I didn't eat unhealthily, but I ate the wrong food for me. I avoided fat and ate too much carb-laden fruit because I thought it was good for me. I was encouraged by the NHS to eat starchy carbs, but now avoid them almost completely. I wish I'd known 30 years ago what I know now.

Floradora9 Fri 30-Sep-22 20:53:18

Please do not think that everyone diagnosed with T2 can be " cured " . I was not overweight just had the wrong genes and found out 20 years ago . I have done all that was asked of me and just live with it . As far as I am concerned it is no big deal despite the fact that I have to have insulin injections twice as day now as my body is not producing the insulin.

MrsKen33 Fri 30-Sep-22 18:27:00

I had T2 diagnosed 7 years ago I bought Michael Mosley’s book, lost 2 stone, keep low carb in mind always and GP says I have reversed it. It is just a way of life now and not too difficult

Kandinsky Fri 30-Sep-22 18:20:41

Thanks for the link growstuff.

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 17:50:43

Oh no! flowers

I read somewhere that cancer can cause diabetes, so maybe that's why. The illness itself and the medications mess about with your metabolism.

Lucca Fri 30-Sep-22 17:42:33

Thanks I have type 2 diabetes recently diagnosed …to add to my problems ???‍♀️

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 17:33:50

This is a link to Dr David Unwin’s diabetic diet sheet:

res.cloudinary.com/grohealth/image/upload/v1664285482/David_Unwin_Diet_Sheet.pdf

It’s the basis of the Low Carb Program, which is a paid for subscription service. I don’t pay for it and you don’t need to follow it.

Dr Unwin is a GP in Southport and has been successful in encouraging his patients to put T2 diabetes into remission.

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes over 30 years ago. At the time, there was some really awful advice available. Unfortunately, there still is. I’ve never been overweight, but my blood glucose was out of control for the first couple of years. I found something very similar to Dr Unwin’s guidelines for myself and they work – my HbA1c has been controlled for over 20 years (with some help from medication).

I’m posting it here because I didn’t want to gatecrash the thread about milk for pre-diabetes. If GN is representative of the general population, it's probable that about 10% have T2 diabetes, so might be of some interest.